• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Accuracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Accuracy Reply with quote

There are different paths to achieving excellence. Accuracy being important but only one of several characteristics to upper register performance. As well as general playing.

The day I made a great step forward at gaining better control of my upper register was the day I decided to play with more conviction regardless of the result. That the correct note played too softly was at least equally as wrong as a clam. I began using my air no matter the consequences...

And the near immediate lresult was better accuracy than I'd previously thought possible.

I know of trumpet players who use other methods. They just strive to hit each note perfectly for the sake of hitting the note correctly. And it works really well for them. But not me. For some reason I always play better when I concentrate on the air first. Everything else be damned.

And yet as I got more and more accustomed to the far better control I had once I got the "Air First" concept well grooved? Sure then I started concentrating on even more accuracy. But I still kept the air going. These days I find myself, especially in a sight reading situation playing a little more conservatively. Not always trying to drive the band until the second or third take. But regardless I hope that I never revert back to my old ways and shut off the air. Way back in those days I was playing from too much of a cerebral perspective. I still like to think through a part. Particularly one that's very high and challenging. Yet I try and always keep the air going and play from my heart.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Accuracy Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
There are different paths to achieving excellence. Accuracy being important but only one of several characteristics to upper register performance. As well as general playing.

The day I made a great step forward at gaining better control of my upper register was the day I decided to play with more conviction regardless of the result. That the correct note played too softly was at least equally as wrong as a clam. I began using my air no matter the consequences...

And the near immediate lresult was better accuracy than I'd previously thought possible.

I know of trumpet players who use other methods. They just strive to hit each note perfectly for the sake of hitting the note correctly. And it works really well for them. But not me. For some reason I always play better when I concentrate on the air first. Everything else be damned.

And yet as I got more and more accustomed to the far better control I had once I got the "Air First" concept well grooved? Sure then I started concentrating on even more accuracy. But I still kept the air going. These days I find myself, especially in a sight reading situation playing a little more conservatively. Not always trying to drive the band until the second or third take. But regardless I hope that I never revert back to my old ways and shut off the air. Way back in those days I was playing from too much of a cerebral perspective. I still like to think through a part. Particularly one that's very high and challenging. Yet I try and always keep the air going and play from my heart.

'
I think you´re on to something really important here. Prior to the lessons I finally took 3-4 years ago after having played since late fifthies, I did think a lot of the sounds I was producing. Kinda pre-formed them before they actually came out. Successful many times but as you mention when I did not succeed, it always had to do with me not supplying enough air(sometimes I forget this even now... ). Starting a semi-quaver run say G middle staff up to high C I characteristically maintained focus on air up to say G top of staff then began to "wobble" with my focus resulting in hit and miss.
On the other hand I think you gotta have the sound of a high C in head your if you want to hit it; as well as think that you may have to "hold down" a G top of staff so as to not risk making it sharp etc.
Nowadays I´m very concerned with air supply, priority 1 - also this gives me more confidence. I agree with you that this is indispensable in the high register - so "thinking high is necessary for flying high" - and - you can´t fly without air.
Research has demonstrated that imgination actually can work to enhance your skills: http://expertenough.com/1898/visualization-works
Bottom line: imagining the note helps a lot!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Oldpipesandchops

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Accuracy Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Lionel wrote:

'
I think you´re on to something really important here. Prior to the lessons I finally took 3-4 years ago after having played since late fifthies, I did think a lot of the sounds I was producing. Kinda pre-formed them before they actually came out. Successful many times but as you mention when I did not succeed, it always had to do with me not supplying enough air(sometimes I forget this even now... ). Starting a semi-quaver run say G middle staff up to high C I characteristically maintained focus on air up to say G top of staff then began to "wobble" with my focus resulting in hit and miss.
On the other hand I think you gotta have the sound of a high C in head your if you want to hit it; as well as think that you may have to "hold down" a G top of staff so as to not risk making it sharp etc.
Nowadays I´m very concerned with air supply, priority 1 - also this gives me more confidence. I agree with you that this is indispensable in the high register - so "thinking high is necessary for flying high" - and - you can´t fly without air.
Research has demonstrated that imgination actually can work to enhance your skills: http://expertenough.com/1898/visualization-works
Bottom line: imagining the note helps a lot!

Good stuff!
BEBumsted

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel,
All I thought was Wow! Air first, consequences at first be damned. Get their and note there then worry about accuracy. That helped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: