• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rain Rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Rain Rules Reply with quote

What's your call if you're booked to play an outdoor gig and the forecast is rain and the organizer says it's on rain or shine. "Don't forget you'll be in a tent."

My concern is getting our sound gear to the tent and back without damage. plus - tent or no tent - I'm nervous about power cords in the rain.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd have taken care of this problem before I ever booked the gig. (I don't stand out in the rain.) Sounds like you'll need lots of tarps... And most "tents" can leak, too. If this is another nursing home gig (or regardless the event, really), you can bet the people listening aren't going to be out in the rain and perhaps the venue can provide some inside place to play, even if it's tight spaces. Good luck..
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how you "take care of the problem" when the gig has been on the books for weeks. Do you you mean telling the organizer back then we're not playing if it's raining?

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the flow. Joke moment: Make sure you only get green M & M's and Real Coke in the dressing room. Okay, to real world. Worrying about the electronics before the time comes means you could be worrying about getting your new cornet wet and having to get a towel. Okay, I always have a towel. I would say that unless you have gigs coming out your ears, a chance to play and see happy people trumps, oh no, I used that word, anything else you can worry about. What happens if you have no amplification? You would have my happy zone. It would sound like bands are meant to sound. Best wishes.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USAF solution - plastic garbage bags over everything including the things under the tents. Yes, tents leak, water puddles, and wind blows rain sideways.

Then have a "drying party" after... all wires and cables stretched out indoors to dry-lots of old towels used.

Bottom line, it sucks hard!

Even so, we had a safety out.. If we felt that we were no longer safe or gear was being damaged, we'd shut it down. Unless the host is willing to replace and repair damaged equipment, it's your safety and gear.

Definitely some clause that I'd consider putting into the contract - you still need to get paid if you get rained out or rained on.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just canceled our performance. To his credit the client is okay with it, maybe because I gave him three days notice.

Frankly, I'm surprised they're even going ahead with the event given the forecast.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
I just canceled our performance. To his credit the client is okay with it, maybe because I gave him three days notice.

Frankly, I'm surprised they're even going ahead with the event given the forecast.

Smart move on your part.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninety percent chance of rain on Sunday in our area and rain in October is different than rain in July or August.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
Ninety percent chance of rain on Sunday in our area and rain in October is different than rain in July or August.

Absolutely; Im from Chicago, October rain can be cold, wet (obviously) and miserable. I seriously doubt any audience would stay out in that if you had not cancelled, that one could have made if into that gig from hell thread.
(BTW: that friend of mine with charts has been out of town, we have a gig tonight, Ill remind him).

Brad
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
I don't know how you "take care of the problem" when the gig has been on the books for weeks. Do you you mean telling the organizer back then we're not playing if it's raining?
If I was booking an outdoor venue I'd want to know ahead of time if we were expected to play outside in the rain, or in any type of inclement weather or under inclement other conditions, like falling bricks, feral hogs, etc. (Well, that's a stretch). No string or ww player I associate with would play in a potentially wet environment, can't really think of a brass player who would, either. I'd place it on the host/person with the checkbook to provide a conducive environment and have a contingency plan when I booked or accepted the gig.

Last edited by Craig Swartz on Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good advice, Craig - thanks!

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always try to make the gig happen up to the last minute. With weather apps now, you can get pretty precise. We once started an outdoor concert 20 minutes early because we knew the rain would be coming in somewhere near the end of our scheduled performance. We ended up getting in 80 minutes of a 90 minute show.
Another time we were playing an outdoor bar patio and saw on our app that the rain would arrive at x o'clock. About 20 minutes before, when the winds first started to pick up, we shut it down and were packed up in our cars before the rains came.
But safety first for sure. You've gotta be aware of how fast you can pack up. And after 25 years of this, I can pack up my whole P.A., guitar rig, and horns and have them in my truck in 20 minutes.
Your clients always appreciate that you made the effort. And in many instances, you will still get paid just for showing up.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like the rain, but i have to honest. One of the greatest gigs i ever played was in a down pour, but its only because the people there we're dying to hear some good horn based R & B. We propped the electric stuff up off the ground, literally had rivers running underneath them, but through all of this, the crowd were quite literally in our faces, urging us on. I lost a ton of charts that day to the weather, but i just didn't care, when you have a wild, knowledgeable crowd cheering on your efforts, nothing really comes close to playing for people like that, rain or shine !!!

But i still hate the rain !!

regards,

tom
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, YEAH- and then there was Woodstock...
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have toughed it out if we were the main attraction but it's a community farmer's market. We are just incidental to the main purpose which is to sell pickles! Alas, that's how far we've stooped.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
I might have toughed it out if we were the main attraction but it's a community farmer's market. We are just incidental to the main purpose which is to sell pickles!

Wait, you didn't mention there would be pickles. Gig on! Our jazz band played a fall festival last Saturday that had food stands, including BBQ. I'm easily persuaded by such things.
Piccolo Stomvi
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I'm really going to miss those pickles. I'll also miss a stop at the world's largest laundromat (true fact - it's in Berwyn, IL).

And I feel especially regretful because the gig came to us from a beer vendor I know at Wrigley Field who moonlights as the Berwyn city assessor. Or is it the other way around.

Life can get complicated once you pick up a trumpet.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rain Rules Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
What's your call if you're booked to play an outdoor gig and the forecast is rain and the organizer says it's on rain or shine. "Don't forget you'll be in a tent."

My concern is getting our sound gear to the tent and back without damage. plus - tent or no tent - I'm nervous about power cords in the rain.

Jim, you'll be fine. One summer season we got rained out, more than 3 shows in a row; very rare in WI, away from the big lake. These were all open air venues where we started playing but couldn't finish. In other words we were packing up post haste, prioritizing what needed protection first. Our cords wound up getting a good bath, needing to be laid out, wiped down and dried in the sun later. A real pain yes, but actually better for it. And we always got paid the full amount.

This season there were about 3 shows we had to tear down due to rain, set up in a protected location, and finish there. Lots of extra work, foreseeable and thus avoidable, but the crowd was appreciative ( and we got paid)

The big thing is how to fight hum, becoming intimately aware of your overall grounding situation, and maybe getting some power conditioning. Bring tarps! Tape, bungee cords, maybe a raincoat.

Once either end of a power cord is wet? I say do not use it until it's thoroughly dry. The rest of the cord is waterproof. I've gotten pretty good at draining the water out of he end, spinning it around like a lassoo to speed up the dry time; amazing how fast that works but we've never had to re-use such a cord that same night due to having spares.

I always prioritize the sound board, obviously. Having a plan for who does what helps, too!

Such details can be discovered before accepting the gig but once you're booked? The first rule of show business is "the show must go on!". Be glad we play trumpet and not clarinet

ETA: just saw this was a Farmer's Market. Good call, very low-pressure gig. And their pickles were wet already!
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronics means ther is a shock hazard. Ask them how much insurance they have? You cancel when it is a safety issue. You will need to point out the fact that electricity and water dont mix. Build into your contract the right to cancel due to safety concerns.
Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Jon. This was one of those handshake jobs. No contract. No insurance. Next to no pay. Definitely no fun in the rain. And it did rain as forecast!

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: