• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cheap mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jafuentes3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Cheap mouthpieces Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
Simple question for y'all;
What's the deal with cheap mouthpieces (particularly the brand Glory)
Are they and OK substitute for beginner trumpet players?
It comes down to this;
If I am completely broke is buying a $10 instead of a $50 mouthpiece acceptable?
Please share your experiences with me.
Thank you
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect 1/5th the quality in playing experience. Expect a cup that is hugely inefficient. Expect a throats size that isn't standardized, nor a standardized backbore size or shape. Expect a very uncomfortable rim.

If any one element, or more of the above ends up not being true, you're lucky.
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay is a great place to buy good used mouthpieces for 10 dollars. And the TH market place. I once bought a mount Vernon Bach mouthpiece for $10 on eBay.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although some mouthpieces feel better than others and I do have my personal favorites, I’ve never come across a bad or unplayable mouthpiece. Even the old chrome plated Herco that started chipping before it got some real hours
I’ve read here and other forums where people have bought and now continue to use the el cheapo pieces
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played lots of unplayable mouthpieces... Some of them unbranded specials, some of them badly modified reputable pieces - in both cases poor intonation leads to manipulation and poor tone.

The other major problem with cheap new ones can be plating - some are nickel plated (which can lead to allergy issues for quite a few players).

If it's got to be cheap, go for unpopular but decent brands on eBay - pieces badged Conn, King, Blessing or Benge (for example) are good pieces that are often much cheap than ones badged "Bach" but similar designs and play just as well.
If it's got to be brand new but cheap, there's a few brands (atleast in Europe, not so sure about the US) that are cheap and yet pretty good - A&S/Stolzel and GEWA for example
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest looking into Kelly mouthpieces, price is right and they will do for a good basic starter mouthpiece. I'd suggest a 5C, knowing nothing about you or how you are built, good middle of the road.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a used name brand piece before I'd buy a cheap no-name brand piece. I've known plenty of players who don't hate the Kelly plastic piece.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
S Koons
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
...I’ve never come across a bad or unplayable mouthpiece. Even the old chrome plated Herco that started chipping before it got some real hours

You are too kind. Really. I had a Herco once. It was so bad I couldn't give it away.
-SK
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find a used Bach 7C (just an example) for 10-15 bucks, why waste money, and much more importantly, practice time, on a paperweight?
They’re on Craigslist or ebay, just take a look.

Brad
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jafuentes3 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I am starting golf and saw a couple of red plastic golf clubs at Walmart in the toy section. That's good enough to get started, right?

If you want not crap and new and inexpensive, go to Amazon, search Blessing trumpet mouthpieces and choose your size. They're solid, made in Germany, used to be designed with Warburton, and I kind of like them. $30 or so.

You might be able to find some old rental mouthpieces at a local music store that does beginner band rentals - possibly for a nominal amount.

Otherwise, you can try to find something used on Ebay or TH, but still name brand.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard dozens of instances where a good quality mouthpiece makes an average instrument play better. I have never heard a cheap mouthpiece make a great horn play better.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap mouthpieces Reply with quote

Jafuentes3 wrote:
Hey everyone,
It comes down to this;
If I am completely broke is buying a $10 instead of a $50 mouthpiece acceptable?
Please share your experiences with me.
Thank you

If you're handy with tools and not allergic to raw brass?

Consider picking up a bunch of used mouthpieces from your local musical instrument store. Most of these have nicks that you can sometimes fill with two part solid epoxy. Either that or completely customize yourself a personal mouthpiece. By working the piece down to something new. And lots of the time the store owner will just give these pieces away.

You may even make a cool discovery in your own work. A mouthpiece modification which greatly enhances your own playing. I customized my own lead trumpet mouthpiece back in May of 2015 and havent playing a lead gig on anything else since.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
operagost
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to mess around filling nicks with epoxy. I routinely sell used mouthpieces at about half the price of new or less. The ones that go for half have essentially NOTHING wrong with them. The shanks are perfectly round, there are no nicks on the rim, and all of the plating is still there. That's $30-35 for a Bach like that. For one that has a lot of the plating worn off the shank, but still 100% plating on the place it counts-- the rim-- and still with no nicks, but maybe the shank isn't perfectly round because it was dropped, it's going to be about $20-25 for a Bach (basically 1/3 price). I ship first class in a padded envelope, so it's under $4 no matter where you are in the USA. Some others don't, and that's a drag but I still feel like you should be able to get a good deal on eBay. And if you don't like it, you can turn it around again on eBay and only be out the original shipping.

What I've found with these bogus Indian or Chinese mouthpieces is that despite using Bach-like sizes, those sizes have nothing to do with the actual dimensions whatsoever. I mean, if the backbore and throat was different, that would almost be expected, but I have a "5C" here with a cup diameter wider than my Bach 3C and the cup is about the depth of a Bach A. Giving that to a young student would kill him.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small percentage of properly inclined established players might enjoy/benefit from tinkering with DIY mouthpiece customization. I'd never recommend it for a beginning player, especially one who's just trying to save money.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: