• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A quick You Tube video for "comeback players"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: A quick You Tube video for "comeback players" Reply with quote

Earlier this afternoon, I got out my '67 Holton Collegiate trumpet and my '75 Olds Ambassador cornet. I quickly play an ascending passage on both, going up to the high C.

Trumpet = Bach 3C trumpet MP (I changed from my usual Curry 3M. for the video)
Cornet = Bach 7C cornet MP (still sounds a hair bright...)

Link

GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Butch, that was a fun vid to watch. Like you, I don't play up in the heavens either and that is just fine with ,me and my D, E and occasional F above high C...
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you... I just sort of "winged it" off the cuff. I wanted to try to make a video to show us "comeback players" that we can still play, no matter how many years it has been. Never give up and ignore an instrument!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great idea, Butch. I hope some other comebackers here will join me in thanking you for the entertainment.

By the way, like many of us, you still got it !!!!!
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Tcraft

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video! As an older guy just starting with the trumpet gives me inspiration.

Thanks!
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem... Thanks...

I graduated HS back in 1979 (I'm 56 yrs old) and after spending all my school years in band, jazz band, marching band, etc... I immediately joined the US Coast Guard out of high school. I played trumpet in the "boot camp band" in Cape May, NJ in basic training. I had the theme "Semper Paratus" darn near beaten into my head! LOL...

Anyway, after that, my beloved '67 Holton Collegiate sort of fell by the wayside, as I focused on my career in the USCG as a Yeoman (i.e. Admin, H/R, payroll, etc..). Looking back, I guess deep down, maybe I had given up after failing an "audio audition" with the real USCG Band (i.e. the MAIN band out of New London, CT). Back during boot camp, I remember sitting down with my drill instructor (musician) and the asst drill instructor (also musician) and they recorded me on trumpet, french horn, and euphonium, in hopes that maybe the primary USCG Band could use a multi-instrumentalist in brass. A week or two later, word came back from New London, CT: "Thanks for the tape. The kid is very diverse, but not what we need at this time". Translation: You gotta be GOOD -- REALLY GOOD -- to make it in a military band! I mean, you gotta be so good, you could walk right up on stage with the Boston Pops and "sit in" with them!

Long story short, I started playing my trumpet again when my daughters took up band in school, and slowly worked my way back. Never again will I give it up and put it away in the closet! Lesson learned....
ShishakTIU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that comment about being in a military band.

I didn't go Admin, I went Comm (more demand for the skills). There's a possibility I could've made one of the Air Force bands if I had been motivated--I played in College and got to 2nd Chair one year--but it had been 4ish years since I had played seriously, and endurance and consistency are the first things to go in my experience. I was doing a job at one of the band buildings on base, told that to a band member, and he smiled at me with a 'you poor deluded fool' kind of look, so maybe I was just thinking I was better at Trumpet than I really was. (Gee, like no trumpet player I know of ever )

I've brought out the horn a couple of times since I was tapped for Band Flight, and spent 6 months in the Band Flight in tech school. My motivation is what's missing. Band was always about the comradery, friends, and traveling, but it was a LOT of work. 3 or 4 days out of the week, not including the 20-30 minutes a day for practice and private lessons. I just don't have the time to put into it now.

True story, the same time I was in Band Flight in basic there was a guy there with my same first name and last name who actually did join one of the Air Force bands. He's still in as far as I know. Another bonus, at least in the Air Force, is that if you're in Band you put on rank commensurate with your skill. So my namesake walked out of Basic with E-6 on his arm while the rest of us left Basic as E-1, E-2, or E-3.

Great video, btw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: