• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Note sustain/release

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Note sustain/release Reply with quote

So when I hold a note, towards the end I have a tendency to go flat. How can I work on my note release to fix this?
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the extreme end of the expiration, it's pretty common.
you just have to practice a lot to control and coordinate your expiration, the work of your expiratory muscles with your aperture, tongue and embouchure and their work.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to not let your embouchure relax/loosen at the end of the note, and keep the air speed/flow steady; don’t let it slow down as the note comes to it’s conclusion.

This is just speculation since I can’t hear or see exactly what you’re doing, but I see this problem occasionally with my students.

Brad
Morogan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure without more description of your issue but, in addition to keeping your embouchure from collapsing, try to ensure that your "tank" isn't running out of gas during the note. It's easy to fall in the trap of not planning ahead, using up all of your air by the end of a phrase and losing support. Try to imagine that by the end of that phrase you will be leaving 10% or so in reserve instead of 0% and see if that helps.

Like I said, it's difficult to assess without a bit more of a description about the symptoms.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice LONG TONES !!!
The old-fashioned kind of long tones where you start PP and
crescendo to F for eight counts, and then decrescendo
down to ppp (a whisper) for another eight counts for a total
of 16 counts. At 60 bpm. Start on low C and work your way up
the chromatic scale.
Be sure to keep the tone steady, and the embouchure
firm. Do these for several weeks and it will cure your problem.
Long tones are the best thing to practice for developing
tone quality and breath control.
They are also helpful with endurance.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:
Practice LONG TONES !!!
The old-fashioned kind of long tones where you start PP and
crescendo to F for eight counts, and then decrescendo
down to ppp (a whisper) for another eight counts for a total
of 16 counts. At 60 bpm. Start on low C and work your way up
the chromatic scale.
Be sure to keep the tone steady, and the embouchure
firm. Do these for several weeks and it will cure your problem.
Long tones are the best thing to practice for developing
tone quality and breath control.
They are also helpful with endurance.

+1. It takes awhile to begin to see improvements, but stick with it—these help a lot.
Piccolo Stomvi
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
keep the air speed/flow steady; don’t let it slow down as the note comes to it’s conclusion.

This has exactly NOTHING to do with pitch. The air naturally will taper off on the release. As long as the embouchure is held steady the pitch will not drop. It simply requires development of coordination through practice.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Note sustain/release Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
So when I hold a note, towards the end I have a tendency to go flat. How can I work on my note release to fix this?

It's simple - don't do it. Knowing is more than half the battle. Just keep the note supported and push through it.

With that in mind....

Something I have noticed a lot with younger or less experienced players is that they have a tendency to tune flat and push up into the pitch when they play. I'm not sure why they do this, but I suspect that it has to do with a combination of their level of chops development combined with their sound.

Because their chops are still in a state of development and they may not have the focus and robustness that a more developed player has, in order to try to get the brilliance they expect to hear in their sound, they tune flat and push to the higher, brighter side of the pitch. This isn't something they are doing on purpose - it's just part of their approach to the instrument.

There are several drawbacks to this. The first is that they are working way too hard when they play because in order to match the pitch of those around them they are constantly pushing up to match the pitch. This leads to endurance that is quickly eroded, and it also really hampers their upper register.

And of course they tend to sag in pitch as they get to the end of a breath toward the end of a phrase.

Without seeing and hearing you play I'm not sure if this is something you are doing or not, but it's a possibility to look into.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: