• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Volpe's Velox gossip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Steve Kriesel (Torpedo Bags president) sent an e-mail on January 5, 2017 indicating that if he could stay on the latest version of his schedule he'd have all of the Velox orders shipped by February 20th. So, getting closer....

I am in San Francisco this week (business trip), so I lost a week, and another one a while back because life. What darn well better be the 4th and final mold is 95% done -- will be able to add the final 6 layers Monday/Tuesday/Wed, then a week for the foam molds, then production can start about March 8th.

It's been a long and humbling road for me, but doggone, I've become an expert in composites -- yet another skill I had no idea I'd need to learn back in college.
612-849-3574
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received another update from Steve Kriesel regarding the Velox. His latest new estimate is that the Velox will start to ship at the end of March or the first week of April at a rate of 1-2 per day.
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I received another update from Steve Kriesel regarding the Velox. His latest new estimate is that the Velox will start to ship at the end of March or the first week of April at a rate of 1-2 per day.

Here's the update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1676721500/volpes-veloxtm-trumpet-case/posts/1832637

In the video, you'll hear the plug crack out of the mold, almost as loud as the hammer hitting the wedges. That's not some weird random audio, it's actually the best sound a mold maker can hear. And since this one was stuck for 2 weeks, it was REALLY good to hear!
612-849-3574
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those still interested...there is another update from Steve Kriesel regarding the Velox. Things did not go according to schedule again, but he has completed the exterior of the first fiberglass case, so the finish line is in sight.

The first four fiberglass cases "might ship quickly." The rest will be at least "a few weeks." Kelli will be contacting folks who placed orders to confirm their color choices.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should come as no surprise that there has been yet another delay with the Velox. Steve Kriesel said that the problem this time is with the foam molds, which Torpedo Bags outsourced.

The foam molds were supposed to have been delivered to Torpedo Bags some time ago, but instead will be delivered "next week." If that happens, some Velox cases will be assembled and shipped soon.

The original delivery estimate was July 2015. I'm really looking forward to receiving my case one of these days, and suspect that I will be every bit as impressed with the Velox as I am with Torpedo Bags' other cases -- which are fantastic -- but I am stunned by the remarkably poor project management....
Scott42486
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
but I am stunned by the remarkably poor project management....

I get what you're saying and I can see how you'd get there. However, I don't think it's so much a project management issue as a "this is where consumers enter the equation" issue.

Typically, consumers enter the equation AFTER R&D and the logistics for production have been taken care of. On this project it feels a bit like consumers entered the equation after the "idea" but at the beginning of R&D. Thus, people have been, in a way, following the R&D process and then the task of setting up production. It's not the same as coming up with a new pattern. He's using tech and processes that are pretty much completely new to him.

It's a tough situation. Without the pre-sale, kickstarter, pre-ordering, etc. it's possible that he might not have been able to pull any/all of this off due to costs involved.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott42486 wrote:
Dayton wrote:
but I am stunned by the remarkably poor project management....

I get what you're saying and I can see how you'd get there. However, I don't think it's so much a project management issue as a "this is where consumers enter the equation" issue.

Typically, consumers enter the equation AFTER R&D and the logistics for production have been taken care of. On this project it feels a bit like consumers entered the equation after the "idea" but at the beginning of R&D. Thus, people have been, in a way, following the R&D process and then the task of setting up production. It's not the same as coming up with a new pattern. He's using tech and processes that are pretty much completely new to him.

It's a tough situation. Without the pre-sale, kickstarter, pre-ordering, etc. it's possible that he might not have been able to pull any/all of this off due to costs involved.

Indeed, that's part of the nature of the Kickstart-type business model. It's a good way for people to do startup products and get funding, but you end up having to wait through all the nuts and bolts of the process. It has its pros and cons...
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, this time frame is nothing. The guys at torpedo bags a straight up nad have great products. The ones I hVe are brilliant.

Compar this to the 10 plus years punters have waited for a rebreather - scuba gear - which has never worked as predicted. And all the early adopters fronted up thousands of dollars.

Cheers

Andy
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

How about an update on the Velox?

Garry
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's coming -- Electrician was in today with some hook ups for 7 new machines. I have a meeting with Magnum Venus Products on Friday to hopefully buy an automatic resin injection / vac bag system.

This company, 1 button epoxy process:
http://www.mvpind.com/productcategory/closed-mold-infusion-rtm-equipment/

The killer of late has been time, but I do have everything needed to make these slowly. What I'm trying to pull off is getting the equipment installed to make these quickly. That and some other items are eating up literally more than all of my time (the past 2.5 months -- I know --sorry), but I'll make sure I make time to shoot an update in the email pipe in the next week.

I showed the prototypes to some folks from Accent today -- they thought it was pretty cool. Just gotta get it over the finish line.
612-849-3574
ChicagoTrumpet229

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of us should be well aware thanks to years of these excuses to never trust Steve or Torpedo on deadlines. Paying customers have had to wait for years with multiple deadlines being ignored when there was never an actual effort to deliver on the promised schedule. There is always another excuse that comes from nowhere which represents months or years of bad production management.

We can, however, trust that the end product will be amazing.

Buyer beware. Apologies only go so far.

grizzle wrote:
It's coming -- Electrician was in today with some hook ups for 7 new machines. I have a meeting with Magnum Venus Products on Friday to hopefully buy an automatic resin injection / vac bag system.

This company, 1 button epoxy process:
http://www.mvpind.com/productcategory/closed-mold-infusion-rtm-equipment/

The killer of late has been time, but I do have everything needed to make these slowly. What I'm trying to pull off is getting the equipment installed to make these quickly. That and some other items are eating up literally more than all of my time (the past 2.5 months -- I know --sorry), but I'll make sure I make time to shoot an update in the email pipe in the next week.

I showed the prototypes to some folks from Accent today -- they thought it was pretty cool. Just gotta get it over the finish line.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Steve. Have not yet had the opportunity to meet him.

I've watched his products grow, and seen what seems to be a very loyal fan and customer base develop.

About delays in manufacturing. All I can say is, and especially these days, anyone who tries to make a quality product - and from the ones I've seen they are a very high quality product...in an extremely specialized and limited customer sales base is not only be highly commended but also given a whole lotta wiggle room.

Quality costs. In purchase price and yes - occasionally in availability wait times - but the end quality is worth it.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hearing about these cases for 2, maybe 3 years? And they're almost done with the molds...OK. Meanwhile they're shopping it out to Accent...sounds like it's not the small company production we thought it was. If I had contributed to the Kickstarter, I'd be right upset by now.

johnlakejazz.com
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoTrumpet229 wrote:
All of us should be well aware thanks to years of these excuses to never trust Steve or Torpedo on deadlines. Paying customers have had to wait for years with multiple deadlines being ignored when there was never an actual effort to deliver on the promised schedule. There is always another excuse that comes from nowhere which represents months or years of bad production management.

I think that's an unfair assessment. He's a totally in house small business that makes what many think to be the best trumpet cases out there. I can't imagine that he's wantonly taking people's money and not delivering a product. Sometimes people are over-ambitious and that's what I've seen to be the case here. He's very transparent when there is an issue delivering to a deadline.

That said, it's always an awful idea from a consumer stand point to buy something that doesn't physically exist yet and get upset when it's not delivered "on time." The Kickstarter model is becoming more and more present but it always is a risk to purchase like that.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of the guys who have been waiting since May of 2016 for a Coyote trumpet case. I think that the following statements are fair:

17 months is a long time to wait for a product.
For what will no doubt be a top quality product, it is worth waiting for 17 months.
I was fully aware that the product was not yet in production; that posed a risk, but it seemed acceptable to me.
Nobody can predict the future. Steve's projected time lines were obviously over optimistic, but I have no doubt that they were honest projections.
There was never any attempt to deceive customers.
Steve has done an admirable job of explaining where he is in the process of getting the product into production, complete with pictures.
Steve has offered to provide refunds or substitutes at the the customer's option.

Like any customer, I am anxious to get my hands on my new toy. But, because Steve has done such a good job of explaining what is going on, I am content to wait for what I expect will be another fantastic product (I have a leather Loredo which I sometimes stare at just to admire its beauty and craftsmanship). I don't know Steve personally, but I consider him an American hero – an entrepreneur who puts it all on the line every day to make the very best products in the world. I personally am delighted that he does what he does and that I can benefit directly from his efforts.

For those customers who are dissatisfied with the wait, Steve has offered a refund or replacement. What more could he offer?

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhahntpt wrote:
ChicagoTrumpet229 wrote:

I think that's an unfair assessment. He's a totally in house small business that makes what many think to be the best trumpet cases out there. I can't imagine that he's wantonly taking people's money and not delivering a product. Sometimes people are over-ambitious and that's what I've seen to be the case here. He's very transparent when there is an issue delivering to a deadline.

That said, it's always an awful idea from a consumer stand point to buy something that doesn't physically exist yet and get upset when it's not delivered "on time." The Kickstarter model is becoming more and more present but it always is a risk to purchase like that.

+1 on that.
I bought a black Loredo from Torpedo bags. Was shipped to me (overseas) from this small superb US company.
What a wonderful product with great workmanship.
If I hadn't bought my Loredo I would have pre-ordered the Velox.
Thanks to hardworking, honest and enterpreneureal individuals like Steve Kriesel human advancements continue. A refund is always an option (If it was me, I would wait).

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.

Last edited by Sustained note on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
I'm one of the guys who have been waiting since May of 2016 for a Coyote trumpet case. I think that the following statements are fair:

17 months is a long time to wait for a product.
For what will no doubt be a top quality product, it is worth waiting for 17 months.
I was fully aware that the product was not yet in production; that posed a risk, but it seemed acceptable to me.
Nobody can predict the future. Steve's projected time lines were obviously over optimistic, but I have no doubt that they were honest projections.
There was never any attempt to deceive customers.
Steve has done an admirable job of explaining where he is in the process of getting the product into production, complete with pictures.
Steve has offered to provide refunds or substitutes at the the customer's option...

For those customers who are dissatisfied with the wait, Steve has offered a refund or replacement. What more could he offer?

Warm regards,
Grits

I'm also one of those customers, and I also ordered a Velox in July of 2016, since I have a Torpedo Bag (nylon) that I love, but which was wearing out in a number of places.

You make fair points about ordering an as-of-yet unmade product, and their offers of refund/replacement - agreed, customers have that option. However, personally, I don't find either of those particularly attractive options, after having paid them close to $1000 in the past 15-17 months, and waited that long. At a quick count, I have nine emails in my inbox promising that the Velox is coming soon - at least two or three of which specify concrete dates - all of which have come and gone, mostly far in the past. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that all of these delays were actually unforeseeable, but I think you'll agree that it's no mystery, particularly for Velox customers, why people are frustrated, and patience is wearing thin. I'm looking forward to getting my cases too, but this has certainly left a bad taste in my mouth.
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grizzle wrote:
It's coming --

Steve,

Thanks for the update. Hope things move forward as planned.

Garry
Steve Sperry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am one of those folks that pre-ordered a Coyote in January 2016 ( in Loredo brown leather). Is the wait frustrating? yeah, but knowing and seeing the quality of products that Steve and his team put out is to be commended.

A reminder also to folks, not only is Steve trying to get all of this tech finalized for the velox/coyote, he also purchased Glens' business and is trying to juggle both at the same time. I had contacted him 2-3 weeks ago asking about an update on my order, he was very gracious and forthcoming about the issues he has had ( had to purchase new sewing machines for the Chronkite designs and install them). I believe in Steve and his product, and I am willing to wait for what will be a top notch case that will serve me for years to come!
Olds Clark Terry Bb
Schilke E3L
Bach 229 25H
Kanstul cct920s
Kanstul 1525 flugel
Reeves' 43 m/s
Haefner 1HX
Stork 5p
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I get it, and I would be upset, too.

No one wants these done more than I do -- not anyone posting here, anyone in line -- no one. By magnitudes.

All the Velox pieces are done. That's the OEM extrusion for the gasket, the 4th and final product mold (exterior), the 6 interior foam molds, the hardware X 500, the brand plate X 1000, the pre-preg, the resin, the foam polyol A&B stuff -- This represents a $50,000+ investment, and recall that my initial Kickstarter investment targeted $13,000 to get this thing going.

We had to move to accommodate this production, I had to build a dust control room, I had to buy industrial vacuums and dust collectors, electrician hooking up 3 phase power -- at the time of the Kickstarter, I anticipated farming this out, and tried 3 different companies, all of which were full time composites companies, and none of them could do the job. One company told me it couldn't be done -- "trust us," he said.

I did it anyway.

Going from wet layup to vacuum bagging is a big jump, but manageable. But true aerospace composites proved to be a much bigger challenge -- getting the mold surface evenly heated to 300 degrees is not easy. Laying honeycomb above that, and then getting the other pre-preg B-layer surface also to 300 is even harder. Until recently, there were no YouTube videos showing how this is done because it is such a specialized process, and people who do this guard the process as a trade secret. I invented a good share of our process through (expensive) trial and error.

Yes, I underestimated the difficulty, the cost, and the ability of 3rd party composites companies to have these skills. At least one of these companies are big time players in the industry. To get the product I wanted and promised meant I had to build an aerospace composites company in-house from nothing, with no skills, no equipment, no space, no real financing, and all of the work done by me. Again, 2 years ago, the plan was to farm it out, and yes, I tried and spent a lot of good money farming it out. But we received unworkable molds, and substandard parts because people didn't want to do what I asked them to do, but they wanted to try to get the contract thinking I'd be OK with heavy parts.

No. I want what I want.

So, you have to wait or ask for a refund. Sorry. I don't know what else I can offer.

I might add, especially to the Velox line: You've waited this long, might as well see it through to the end. If you don't like it, then return it.

The hurdle is time, not money, at this point.
612-849-3574

Last edited by grizzle on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: