• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Full Time RI?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lambchop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, gathered that after studying the book a bit more also. Getting better, good sound, good sound, good sound... like CD. Thanks.
lambchop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: always RI? Reply with quote

I'm not sure now if the embouchure used during RI is supposed to be what is used during the lip slurs or not. I first thought the idea is your lips can move around with different levels of RI/RO to match what you play, but now after reading the problem section at the end, it seems to suggest that you don't want to slip out of the RI much. I suppose much of my endurance problem is due to not enough RI given I get a ring around the top lip and some notch of ring is evident on the red part of the top lip. If ALS is supposed to be done at the same G or higher RI level, then I guess I have a lot of practice ahead because it is hard to do the high snaps and I sound like a little kid.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no general suggested embouchure during lip slurs. You are supposed to use what works best, given your state of development. Specific emphasis on more RI could be given in private instruction, but there is no general one-size-fits-all rule.

As for a ring on the chops, that is a variable as well. By itself, it doesn't indicate anything meaningful. I've known very good players who show some degree of ring very easily.

The point of BE is to (slowly) lead you through a group of exercises which allow you to learn to play with a more focused lip setup. The path is not usually smooth. Besides the external resistances to making such changes - old baggage that players carry around about the supposed "dangers" of different things - there are also internal psychological resistances to achieving balance itself. The latter is a topic for another day.

If you are concerned if you are doing the exercises correctly, send me a video via email. I will be happy to look at it.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: