• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet versus Cornet Mouthpieces



 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dark Knight
Regular Member


Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Posts: 41
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Trumpet versus Cornet Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I currently play a modern Bach 5c with my trumpet. The mouthpiece that came with my cornet is a Bach Corp. 3. These two are very different. The Bach Corp. 3 actually feels smaller. I do not like playing with it. At any rate, would a modern Bach 5c "cornet" mouth piece be more compatible, in moving back and fourth, or a Bach 3c. I ask as I guess cornet mouthpieces are different from trumpet mouthpieces, generally. Thank you for your time.

Best Wishes,

Thank you.
_________________
I learn from my mistakes. I can repeat them perfectly every time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TKSop
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 23 Feb 2014
Posts: 1053
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using the cornet for?
What type of cornet is it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dark Knight
Regular Member


Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Posts: 41
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
What are you using the cornet for?
What type of cornet is it?


The cornet is used for wind ensemble parts and the occasional solo piece from from the "golden era" of cornets., Arban, Clarke, Lewellyn The cornet is a rose bell Yamaha YCR 631. It plays so beautifully.

DK
_________________
I learn from my mistakes. I can repeat them perfectly every time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dennis78
Veteran Member


Joined: 28 Feb 2015
Posts: 336
Location: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Bach 5b
_________________
1909 Holton New Proportions short
Bach cr310
Holton c605
Holton B47
Cecilio tt500ses
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chef8489
Veteran Member


Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 129
Location: Asheville nc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
Try a Bach 5b

Yep i agree a 5b cornet mouthpiece wo uld give the rim size of the 5c and a litfle darker more cornet like sound.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dark Knight
Regular Member


Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Posts: 41
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
Try a Bach 5b


Thank you both very much. I do not want to start a cornet mouthpiece safari I just want to purchase one and get used to it.

DK
_________________
I learn from my mistakes. I can repeat them perfectly every time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GeorgeB
Veteran Member


Joined: 20 Apr 2016
Posts: 309
Location: New Glasgow, Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Knight wrote:
Dennis78 wrote:
Try a Bach 5b


Thank you both very much. I do not want to start a cornet mouthpiece safari I just want to purchase one and get used to it.

DK


I use a 5C for trumpet and although I have the 5A, 5B and 5C cornet mp sizes for my cornet, I would agree that the 5B would be your best bet . I do use the 5A ( very deep cup ) on some tunes and like the sound, but I do have to work harder in the high range. The 5B and 5C both work well in the high range.
_________________
GeorgeB
Manchester Brass Custom ( ACB ) RL-GB pro B flat trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B flat trumpet
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Bach TR300H2 B flat trumpet
Curry 50C, Curry 50TC, Curry 8.5B, Bach 3C, Bach 5C,5B.5A, Bach 10.5C, Bach 10.5CW
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TKSop
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 23 Feb 2014
Posts: 1053
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option worth considering is a Curry 5DC - essentially a cornet optimised version of Curry's 5B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dark Knight
Regular Member


Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Posts: 41
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:
Dennis78 wrote:
Try a Bach 5b


Thank you both very much. I do not want to start a cornet mouthpiece safari I just want to purchase one and get used to it.

DK


I use a 5C for trumpet and although I have the 5A, 5B and 5C cornet mp sizes for my cornet, I would agree that the 5B would be your best bet . I do use the 5A ( very deep cup ) on some tunes and like the sound, but I do have to work harder in the high range. The 5B and 5C both work well in the high range.



Thank you all for your advice. I guess it is off to the trial or trade forum to get a 5B.

dk
_________________
I learn from my mistakes. I can repeat them perfectly every time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Posts: 2107

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet versus Cornet Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Dark Knight wrote:
I currently play a modern Bach 5c with my trumpet. The mouthpiece that came with my cornet is a Bach Corp. 3. These two are very different. The Bach Corp. 3 actually feels smaller. I do not like playing with it. At any rate, would a modern Bach 5c "cornet" mouth piece be more compatible, in moving back and fourth, or a Bach 3c. I ask as I guess cornet mouthpieces are different from trumpet mouthpieces, generally. Thank you for your time.
Best Wishes, Thank you.


In Bach the rims and cups are the same between trumpet and cornet, just the shank is different. BTW, I have a Curry DC cup cornet mouthpiece (with a custom rim) and it is excellent. A Curry 5DC with have the same rim as his 5C. Bach rims are different from one cup to another within the same size.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheiden
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Posts: 6721
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Knight wrote:
TKSop wrote:
What are you using the cornet for?
What type of cornet is it?


The cornet is used for wind ensemble parts and the occasional solo piece from from the "golden era" of cornets., Arban, Clarke, Lewellyn The cornet is a rose bell Yamaha YCR 631. It plays so beautifully.

DK

Have you tried the Yamaha cornet pieces? It seems to me that you can try a variety of Yamaha pieces with a reasonable expectation of consistent rim feel, unlike you do with the Bach pieces.

FWIW I use a Bach 3C rim on the Bb and a Yamaha 11B4 on my picc and the transition is very manageable. In your case, the closest Yamaha pieces would be the 14B4 which is a tad shallow, or the 14E (rounder rim) or 14E4 (flatter rim) which would be rather deep.
_________________
"I'm an engineer, which means I think I know a whole bunch of stuff I really don't."
Charles J Heiden/So Cal
Bach Strad 180ML43*/43 Bb/Yamaha 731 Flugel/Kanstul 920 Picc/Conn 80A Cornet
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dark Knight
Regular Member


Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Posts: 41
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:
TKSop wrote:
What are you using the cornet for?
What type of cornet is it?


The cornet is used for wind ensemble parts and the occasional solo piece from from the "golden era" of cornets., Arban, Clarke, Lewellyn The cornet is a rose bell Yamaha YCR 631. It plays so beautifully.

DK

Have you tried the Yamaha cornet pieces? It seems to me that you can try a variety of Yamaha pieces with a reasonable expectation of consistent rim feel, unlike you do with the Bach pieces.

FWIW I use a Bach 3C rim on the Bb and a Yamaha 11B4 on my picc and the transition is very manageable. In your case, the closest Yamaha pieces would be the 14B4 which is a tad shallow, or the 14E (rounder rim) or 14E4 (flatter rim) which would be rather deep.


Thank you for your thoughts. I know a lot of people like Yamaha mouthpieces. I have nothing against them. I am trying to avoid a whole new safari route. Having worked through several different Bach combinations and settled on my 5c, I wanted to avoid another safari for cornet mouthpieces, to find the comparable Bach cornet version.

DK
_________________
I learn from my mistakes. I can repeat them perfectly every time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bflatman
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 264

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some players buy an instrument for 2000 dollars and then buy just one mouthpiece for it, and if it doesnt work out they ask around and then try another, and maybe ask again and try another.

It all takes several months and the damn things only cost 30 or 40 dollars, but you end up with a load of grief. Even worse is a year long mouthpiece safari with all the disruption.

Why not just buy 3 or 4 mouthpieces for a hundred dollars or so, still a fraction of the cost of the instrument and use the one you like best. You only have to buy em once.

Ive got 9 trumpet mouthpieces and 4 cornet mouthpieces and I have never needed a safari. If I want to try a different mouthpiece it is there, I have got a choice. Job done, no sweat no problems.

Then you can just play the instrument.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chef8489
Veteran Member


Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 129
Location: Asheville nc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
Some players buy an instrument for 2000 dollars and then buy just one mouthpiece for it, and if it doesnt work out they ask around and then try another, and maybe ask again and try another.

It all takes several months and the damn things only cost 30 or 40 dollars, but you end up with a load of grief. Even worse is a year long mouthpiece safari with all the disruption.

Why not just buy 3 or 4 mouthpieces for a hundred dollars or so, still a fraction of the cost of the instrument and use the one you like best. You only have to buy em once.

Ive got 9 trumpet mouthpieces and 4 cornet mouthpieces and I have never needed a safari. If I want to try a different mouthpiece it is there, I have got a choice. Job done, no sweat no problems.

Then you can just play the instrument.

Because not all mouthpieces are 30 to 40.00. My mouthpieces are around 100.00 and there are mouthpieces that are far more expensive. I only paid 400.00 for my silver flair trumpet and payed 100.00 each for my two mouthpieces. Not everyone buys 2k -3k trumpets and not everyone buys 30-40.00 mouthpieces and has the money to buy several at one time to try.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group