• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Stores to Visit

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Best Stores to Visit Reply with quote

I saw a thread by a guy who travels for work, figured I’d ask some open questions about the ‘must see’ stores around the US. I travel for work, and try to hit shops when I can.

Below is my list of stores that I have hit, so far...

Landress Brass- NYC (amazing)
Dillon Music- NJ near NYC (huge supply of used gear)
Bronstein Music- S San Francisco (decent Bach/Yamaha supplier, Monette mpcs)
Bridgepoint Music- Menlo Park, CA (Adams supplier in CA, small shop)
Schmitt Music- Minneapolis, Minn. huge trumpet shop. Must see.
Summerhays Music- Salt Lake City. was disappointing.

ON MY LIST:
Austin Custom Brass- Boston, MA. Someday I’ll get there Trent.
B.A.C. Best American Craftsman- Kansas City. Custom horns, but a shop too.
Raw Brass - Portland? I think? Is there a store?

OTHER MUST SEE STORES?

Thanks in advance.
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding Chuck Levin’s to my list... just got a nice tip just in case anyone is in the DC area. Sounds like a large store!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thompson Music in Omaha, Nebraska is well worth a visit. Also, Milano Music in Mesa, Arizona.

Last edited by Dayton on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
trmptgvl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendations in the Southeast? South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, or East Tennessee in particular.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always enjoy a trip to Rich Ita's brass workshop in the greater Atlanta area. He has a rotating inventory of vintage horns and seems to attract some of the more historically significant and popular makes. I've tried a Martin Committee, various Doc Severinsen models, King Silver Flairs, among others. He carries new Shires brand trumpets as well - and those are some great horns. The shop isn't large, but as I say, I have always enjoyed my visits.

It's a lot more fun if you take your credit card and are willing to buy something that strikes your fancy.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We’ve got a pretty good selection at Milano Music in Mesa,AZ. Our website milanomusic.com shows what we have in stock.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a second from me for Rich Ita's just north of Atlanta in Marietta, GA. Rich is a great guy who will not steer you wrong and who does great repair work. As the other poster stated, he always has some really nice pro and vintage pro horns in stock and he will be quite straight with you about the pros and cons on any of them. He's done a good deal of repair work for me over the years and I've always been more than satisfied. I remember buying a vintage cornet from him one time and he showed me several others and told me that the one I chose was a stencil and needed valve work. In retrospect I should have bought one of the others that Rich kind of pointed me towards, but I can't say he made me take it...LOL.

Right at the moment I count 63 trumpets for sale and that doesn't include the cornets and other goodies. He has a 1934 Conn Glantz Model C trumpet and a 1928 gold plated Holton Llewellyn model that are mine along with my Miraclone Chinese BBb tuba, but, as I say, a host of others. Rich is also a great guy to talk trumpet with if he is not too busy. I highly recommend stopping in there if in the area. Some great local restaurants in the area, too, including a Brazilian buffet.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to visit Bridgepoint Music for the first time yesterday. They're right down the road from the shop where I work but I never seemed to have time to get there. I was surprised at the selection: Yamaha, Bach, Adams, even some Edwards trumpets.

Nice people, beautiful store - don't mind giving them a plug.

-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
kmtrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in the U.S., but Trumpet Station in Tokyo is quite amazing.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Local interest Reply with quote

Woodys in Kent Ohio, and Gorbys in South Charleston WV. Woodys has everything. Gorbys hast a very large collection of hi end vintage trumpets and some very rare ones (mini King BB owned by Edna White/24k Harry James balanced never owned.. Either store will provide a good half days entertainment.
Rod
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwag wrote:
Adding Chuck Levin’s to my list... just got a nice tip just in case anyone is in the DC area. Sounds like a large store!
It has a huge selection, some brands that are exclusive to them, and some very knowledgeable salespeople. I usually work with Lee.
spyke
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Trent Austin, and hope to visit ACB as soon as I get an opportunity to travel up there.

Josh Landress is amazing and has a great spot. He's fixed up my horns, too (many of them before I even owned them, even those I bought from Dillon )

Dillon's seems so much bigger on the inside (like the TARDIS in Dr. Who, or the tents in Harry Potter). Despite some ups and downs with customer service there, three really nice horns came to me either out of there or via him that time he bought basically everything on display at ITG.

Chuck's was impressive and Lee was very helpful when I visited. Yay, rotary trumpets!

Thompson Music is on my list - I think I did drive through Nebraska recently, but didn't get to the area before their store closed. Their customer service over the phone has been great.

I'll have to check out Bridgepoint music very soon too. I just learned they carry Adams today.

I haven't been to Bronstein Music where I got my very first trumpet since childhood (I had started out on cornet like a good boy), but it's quite close and I'd like to play-test some mouthpieces. Maybe I'll drive there today or tomorrow.

Hornucopia is also in the Bay Area - they have zero online presence and all vintage stuff, no current/modern pro trumpets, if that's what you're in to. They've always got Mount Vernons and such in there. I got my P5-4 with a sad bell fixed there and was pleasantly surprised that the horn came out so nicely in terms of cosmetics with the gold plate. I've also sold them various things.

Also on my list are Monette (of course) in Portland, and Stomvi and Bob Reeves in Santa Clarita.

I think I remember a really interesting spot with tons of weird vintage things in Paris - I wish I could remember what it might've been called.
WoodsysMusic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Local interest Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Woodys in Kent Ohio... Woodys has everything.

We definitely appreciate the kind words, Rod. There's A LOT of great shops on the forum and we are glad to be mentioned in such great company!
330-673-1525
www.woodsysmusic.com
banddept@woodsys.com
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Local interest Reply with quote

Visited Milano Music today, AMAZING shop if you are in the Phoenix area. I tested a couple of Shires, super nice horns. If I didn't already have a special Bach 37 from my childhood, I'd be all over that horn.

TONS of mouthpieces (Monette, Bach, Austin CB, Reeves, Curry, Pinckett... Devin (I believe) is a trumpet player and opened a case of mouthpieces to offer some guidance. He mentioned that Marcus from the JALC Orchestra recently visited to test some Shires.

Super fun place, 3rd generation owners (chatted iwth Mike for about 10 minutes). In business for 70 years. http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/arizona/legacy-business-milano-s-celebrates-years-of-making-music/article_a2ffecdc-7ea5-11e6-bc2e-bfbe11d21dc9.html

No plug here, just happy to chat with a trumpet geek and try some mouthpieces. I look forward to visiting Trent in KC, much closer for me.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that Trent is moving Austin Custom Brass to Kansas. I'm not sure exactly when, but I'd check before planning a Boston trip to see him. Just so you know.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was in the Denver area I'd be sure to stop by Harrelson's.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI our Boston shop is closing around 5/5 and hopefully if all goes well the KC shop opens mid-June. I'll be keeping folks updated as we progress in each stage of the move. LOTS to do until then (yikes).

It's an honor to be on a list with such amazing shops. We cannot wait for everyone to see the KC expansion.

Best,
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
FYI our Boston shop is closing around 5/5 and hopefully if all goes well the KC shop opens mid-June. I'll be keeping folks updated as we progress in each stage of the move. LOTS to do until then (yikes).

It's an honor to be on a list with such amazing shops. We cannot wait for everyone to see the KC expansion.

Best,
T

And don't forget to try their brisket while you're looking at horns
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul in Anaheim, CA

1332 S. Claudina Street
Anaheim, CA 92805
888.KANSTUL

Yamaha NYC / Wayne Tanabe
689 5th Ave.
NYC

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything in Texa$? Have plenty of money and no where to spend it other than the Lamborghini dealership (kinda pricey...LOL)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: