• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Range Development

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are going to go at it again. When I listen to players, there are the aperture control players and the tongue level and air players. They don’t sound alike. Totally different. They play the same notes. They both can handle their parts. Their approach is different. I know who I like better in sound. Quit arguing about who’s approach is better.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every player controls their aperture. And every player uses air.
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Darryl that helps.

Richard, hope you are getting a nice frosting of snow tonight.

I am not going at anything or anyone. I am trying to “get” something. That something is a better understanding of function so description is better. I am still trying to learn. I have to ask questions to gain perspective and do my best to understand. If I am asked what am I doing I would like to be able to explain it as correctly as possible.

I have never said my way is “better” or the only way to do something. I think that players achieve results through different approaches. They certainly describe things differently and at times are describing the same things in different ways. There is a good deal of confusion in our community. I am not in a “camp”, I study no particular “school” nor do I have an allegiance to a particular methodology. I draw on my personal experience and the results I have achieved.

I have asked questions from a perspective of wanting to discover what is actually happening. I typically have to relate these questions from a position of my understanding of how I “think” I am doing things. I am open to the possibility and even the probability that I might be describing things incorrectly; thus the ensuing discussion. I respect Darryl’s knowledge and I am compelled to engage in conversation. I appreciate his willingness to engage and have learned much from his responses.

I don’t have to describe everything perfectly to help folks but it is my hope to describe what I am doing in a way that is not wrong. If I am to help other players I need to have my explanations be as correct as possible. I will always use conceptualizations. It is extremely difficult to use our minds eye to see inside our body and visualize what we are doing or trying to do.

To correctly create a motion or action that we have never felt or produced via a description is very complicated. To help, we use descriptions that refer to things we can all relate. It is in describing things that we hope to offer the moment of discovery. This is where I would like to understand what “is” happening to better describe what to do. This is what I am trying to “get”.

On a personal level I don’t think about what I am doing when I am playing. It is in the explanation of the process that creates the quest for understanding.

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a huge section of interviews with well known professionals at http://www.TrumpetPlayersDirectory.com where FAQ’s are answered and advice given on developing range.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP: I was mentored by Carmine Caruso and use his methods and philosophy as a basis for my teaching. Making an appropriate demand on your chops in a consistent manner will bring about change n a positive direction. The words "appropriate" and "consistent" can be tricky here.

I must point out that Carmine's methods were intended to lead the player to have an embouchure with improved balance and generally better playing. Improved range is only one of the outcomes.

I urge you to look at the Caruso forum, and particularly the Basics posts written by Charly Raymond. If you're using a metronome, you're not working these correctly.

Now, that I've finished my Caruso speech, I also want to say that this is only a small portion of what you should be doing to improve. Advanced students with Carmine got a lot more from him than the basic interval studies you see in print. Explore Pops website and use tongue position with Arbans pp.125-126; Clarke studies played softly; lips slurs, etc.

Aspirin can improve your health but not if it's your only source of nutrition.

Hang in there and best of luuck.

Alan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: