• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

On the ability to squeak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: On the ability to squeak Reply with quote

The other day I heard one of my (much)younger fellow section mates warm up - by playing long notes and suddenly squeak out some very high tones - not very well sounding at all but very high up. Made me reflect on my own ability to squeak - something I haven´t done for a very long time, (squeak that is). I always was the guy who wanted to play real sounding tones, considering squeaking a degenerate variety, sort of. The difference between squeaking out a high G and playing it musically was all too obvious. On the other hand, I sometimes successfully hit some very high notes in concerts, the for me most remarkable ones once as intro to a song; I was requested to play E G# B E on my Eflat trumpet. Real musical tones or squeaks? Can´t remember. Probably squeaks.

Anyhow - nowadays I am unable to squeak....I just can´t produce anything above E (above high C) - no matter what - on the other hand I have never ever had such a "pure, euphonious" register between G top of staff and that E (on Bflat trumpet/cornet) - most of the time...
Ps by a squeak I mean a high pitched sound resembling letting air out of a balloon pinching the exit.

So I have I lost an ability? If so why so? Advancing age (in itself o good thing considering the alternative)? Or what? Also, I just can´t whistle like I used to...coincidence?
Suggestions welcome!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I always was the guy who wanted to play real sounding tones

An aspiration you should continue with.

I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to as "squeaking" but it doesn't sound musically useful.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don’t know what use that has, unless I’m missing something here. If by “squeaking” you mean what I think you do, why would you care whether you can do that or not? I knew a guy in college who frequently did that, it seemed useless to me.

Brad
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer is probably "it depends".

If we're talking thin/squeeky tones that are a little bit above the top of your useable register... but done with your standard embouchure (without resets), then those can be a kind of "touching base" from which to build real/usable notes from.

If we're talking horn-off-face, embouchure switch, squeeze like buggery and magically squeek out something that's miles above your usable range... then no, those aren't going to do anything useful at all.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
I think the answer is probably "it depends".

If we're talking thin/squeeky tones that are a little bit above the top of your useable register... but done with your standard embouchure (without resets), then those can be a kind of "touching base" from which to build real/usable notes from.

If we're talking horn-off-face, embouchure switch, squeeze like buggery and magically squeek out something that's miles above your usable range... then no, those aren't going to do anything useful at all.

I think that I´m referring to " thin/squeeky tones that are a little bit above the top of your useable register". Seems my lips just doesn´t vibrate the way they sometimes could be "tricked" to do. I´ve tried to put more upper lip in (mouthpiece higher up) - so far getting cleaner attacks higher up but with this setting endurance suffers a bit. Maybe too little practice with this setting?
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ability to squeak as well. Sometimes. Usually I'll be able to solidly squeak a fifth above my usual range, and get a faint balloon sound much higher...

Other days, when my chops are less responsive or feeling a little dry, I am completely unable to squeak. I haven't been able to squeak for a week or so now, but the ability often comes in phases like this for me.

I started to squeak when I began building my chop muscles and working on the upper register. On a good day, I can control the pitch of any note I want--the hard part is making the squeak become a real note. Something that takes a lot more work than I'd like to think.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I have the ability to squeak as well. Sometimes. Usually I'll be able to solidly squeak a fifth above my usual range, and get a faint balloon sound much higher...

Other days, when my chops are less responsive or feeling a little dry, I am completely unable to squeak. I haven't been able to squeak for a week or so now, but the ability often comes in phases like this for me.

I started to squeak when I began building my chop muscles and working on the upper register. On a good day, I can control the pitch of any note I want--the hard part is making the squeak become a real note. Something that takes a lot more work than I'd like to think.

I can´t do that on any day. Seems your lips are more responsive than mine - a responsiveness that for some reason varies.
Now I have practiced a lot, more top lip in the mpc with the result that my register has expanded a bit, attack&tone production cleaner but still, this is not what I´m, aiming at. Obviously hard to describe
I´m referring to an ability to somehow squeak out tones, in correct pitch but not musical ones, tones that eventually might be transformed into musical sounds - even at sometimes being almost "musical". That I could when I was younger. I´ll soon celebrate my 75:th birthday so I guess that my post boils down to "lip-responsiveness and age".
How about the median age of the Herald Community? High register versus age? Anyone having played a lifetime still being able to squeak/nail high G:s? Then I´m an amateur - probably a significant variable.
I fully understand that if one wants a good high register there is no other way than practice, practice and practice. And I practice a lot and I am satisfied with my range/endurance in the brass band but still lacking range in the big band. At the same time I know guys who can bring out the horn, not having practiced, then squeaking up in the heavens, mostly they are much younger than I am, but this lip-responsiveness....and its relation to age. Maybe completely impossible to provide a straight answer to, considering the multitude of variables, circumstances, individual settings?
Maybe this should be a post dedicated to this (elusive) phenomena?
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: