• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Recital Worthy "Commercial" Music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cory.D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Recital Worthy "Commercial" Music Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am looking to pick everyone's brain about what there may potentially be out there for lit that may be on the more commercial side but still applicable in a recital setting? I know it is a slightly odd combination so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Gregory Gilmore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: "Commercial" recital rep Reply with quote

If you can find any of Bobby Lewis' "Forefront" arrangements, I think that both the audience and performers would enjoy them greatly. They're generally scored for four trumpets (Bb, Eb, pic., flügelhorn, cornet) with bass & drums. They're quite challenging but quite satisfying...
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nestico "Portrait of a Trumpet" may work. Hayes "Cornucopia" (written for Doc) may, too. The Hayes is more difficult. Both have band accompaniments as well. (Come to think of it- Cornucopia may not have a piano reduction... ) Ode for Trumpet, by Al Reed may also fill your bill.

I did the Nestico in undergrad ca 1972 and got away with it... (Small college)

Animal Ditties 1 &/or 2 might also be something you'd look at if you're trying to stretch the envelope, but they're played fairly often. And unaccompanied (and in the dark), Solus by Friedman is pretty cool, but you'll need to work. Good luck.
arimicich

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toot Suite by Claude Bolling is great and Maurice Andre's recording is fantastic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: