• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette B6DS1: Uncommon piece, but worth exploring!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Monette B6DS1: Uncommon piece, but worth exploring! Reply with quote

I just wanted to share about this mouthpiece. I've been on a journey over the past several months as I discovered that the 3C rim size fits me much better than the 1C type stuff I had been playing.

I've tried all sorts of 3C pieces, all in search of a "deeper 3C" as I find the Bach/Curry 3C just a bit too shallow for my natural sound.

I had gotten very, very close a couple of times, and I was very much set on a Greg Black 3CD, but I was still curious about trying a Monette again. It was one of the scenarios where I knew I'd not be content until my curiosity was satiated.

I got in contact with the shop, and I was lucky to get a new old-stock STC-1 Prana B6DS1 at a slight discount.

This piece is great. I had appreciated many of the "Monette concepts" in the past, but I was always on stuff that was simply too big when I was trying them.

With this piece, the rim fits me, it's a very comfortable contour (honestly feels a bit more like a scaled-down 1C than a 3C to me, which is a very good thing) and a good cup. I'd say the cup is similar to a 1C cup in shape, if not a tad deeper. On their new mouthpiece chart(*) they list the "Relative Depth" as a "7" which is right in line with the B11S5 and B15MS12 which were my two previous "best" sizes.

This mouthpiece has worked well from the very beginning. Two weeks after I got it, I put it into the thick of it. My church had an opportunity to perform at the NC State Fair, so in one week I had two 2-hour rehearsals on back-to-back nights, followed by the performance on Sunday (I posted a video of the performance in the 'Video' Forum if you are interested). I know a lot of folks say Prana mouthpieces are more tiring on non-Monette horns, but what I have found since having this mouthpiece is that I have more endurance than I've ever had. I think it's a matter of getting the right fit.

I know those are famous last words for a trumpeter, but I do know my playing has considerably improved in several areas (most noticeably range, endurance, and intonation) since switching to this piece.

I simply wanted to share as I know it's not a common piece many would have heard of. I often seen posts here searching for a "deeper 3C" and I think this is an option for those interested in a mouthpiece that size.

Best,
Jayson

*Here is the new Monette mouthpiece chart which is much more helpful than what they had recently. I think BJ helped them put this together: https://www.monette.net/comparison-chart
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt this close to a bach 3b? I currently play on a 3b and quite like the feeling of a 3b over the 3c. Back in my hay day I played on a 1.5b. some reason I seem to prefer the b cup over the c cup. I have been looking at the Monette mouthpieces for a while and originally was looking at the b4s3 but since recently decided the 3b was a better fit for my comeback, the B6ds1 looks more appealing.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
Isnt this close to a bach 3b? I currently play on a 3b and quite like the feeling of a 3b over the 3c. Back in my hay day I played on a 1.5b. some reason I seem to prefer the b cup over the c cup. I have been looking at the Monette mouthpieces for a while and originally was looking at the b4s3 but since recently decided the 3b was a better fit for my comeback, the B6ds1 looks more appealing.

If you call Monette (or look at their chart) they will tell you it's equivalent to a 3B, but that's only in depth from rim to bore. a Bach 3B is more of a "V" shaped piece; this is more of a bowl shape like a 1C cup or a 1X cup. Also a Bach 3B has a much more rounded rim and higher alpha-angle than this piece. I did try a 3B along the way and it was good, but had a much different feel and sound than this piece.

Hope this helps,
Jayson
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
chef8489 wrote:

If you call Monette (or look at their chart) they will tell you it's equivalent to a 3B, but that's only in depth from rim to bore. a Bach 3B is more of a "V" shaped piece; this is more of a bowl shape like a 1C cup or a 1X cup. Also a Bach 3B has a much more rounded rim and higher alpha-angle than this piece. I did try a 3B along the way and it was good, but had a much different feel and sound than this piece.

Hope this helps,
Jayson

Thanks. Yes they did say in an email that was equivalent to the 3b. I guess I would only know if I tried the piece.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
jaysonr wrote:
chef8489 wrote:

Hope this helps,
Jayson

Thanks. Yes they did say in an email that was equivalent to the 3b. I guess I would only know if I tried the piece.

I think they call it a 3B equiv. because it's deeper than the B6S1 which is their 3C equiv.

I feel that both pieces have more cup volume than their Bach counterparts because of the more bowl shape to the "Slap" cup. The B6S1 is probably the same depth from rim to bore as a 3C, but it's got more volume because of the shape of the cup. The B6DS1 has considerablymore cup volume than a 3B because the Bach 3B is even more "V" shaped than a Bach 3C, and the B6DS1 is a very bowl-shaped cup.

I love it, it's got everything going for it that works well for me in a mouthpiece.
nzhangtrpt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just got a resonance b6ds1 prana. The sound is darker but sounded more diffused (not concentrated) than my another prana that has a depth of 5. Do you feel the same thing? I could be just me not blowing full, though.

-n
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nzhangtrpt wrote:
Hi,

I just got a resonance b6ds1 prana. The sound is darker but sounded more diffused (not concentrated) than my another prana that has a depth of 5. Do you feel the same thing? I could be just me not blowing full, though.

-n

Hi nzhangtrpt,

I do not get a diffuse sound from my B6DS1 (unless I'm trying to). I get a full rich sound with lots of core. I sound very much like I did on my old 1C style pieces, but with a slightly smaller diameter and better endurance. I'm still very happy with this mouthpiece.

Although you say your other piece is a Prana, remember that with a Prana you do need to be playing relaxed, and with good technique as explained in the Monette literature, and (for me) they are prone to an 'airy' sound if you are not playing them properly (they have big "guts" i.e., large throats and backbores).

However, it could be some other part of the piece that is giving you that sound. What is your other piece? Different bites and different throat entrances can especially play into creating a more or less diffuse piece for certain players. I would imagine if some aspect of a mouthpiece does not work well for you, that mismatch would only be amplified with a Prana setup.
nzhangtrpt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said. I figured that my mouthpiece gap was too big. I sounded a lot better after shortening the gap.

I might want to move on to a b6s1 for more brilliance and presence in my sound. The b6ds1 indeed sounds full and rich, yet I feel like I am not strong enough for it yet. My sound is kind of dull to my ear, but it still could be me not playing correctly.

thanks for posting. -n
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: