• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I Need a Reality Check - Range and Endurance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: I Need a Reality Check - Range and Endurance Reply with quote

ajwan wrote:
I find about 1.25 hours or so into the band practice, my endurance starts to get shorter and shorter after playing typical 3rd cornet parts (including conductor stoppages, bar rests, etc.), give or take depending on the amount of material above the third space C on the staff.

Is this OK at my stage of recovery as a come-back player, having playing/practicing consistently for 10 months now? Just looking for a reality check from the more experienced out there. Will it get better?

Yes, you're doing well at this stage. Yes, it'll get better, and you'll get stronger.

And your experience in community band will also help you develop tactics to get the most from the stamina you have, which is just as valuable as building stamina. No matter how strong you get, it's always possible to find yourself in a situation where it might not be enough, and sometimes these tactics can get you through.
Piccolo Stomvi
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajwan posted:

Quote:
A video? I'm happy to perform simple stuff in front of a church congregation. But not so sure my ability/confidence can endure the scrutiny of the TH crowd, at least not quite yet!

Neither Louis Armstrong nor Maynard Ferguson can endure the scrutiny of the TH crowd.

I'm a year or so into comeback myself. Clarke Technical Study #7 has helped me quite a bit in regards to range and endurance.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In three months, I'd say it's just marginal progress. Not much happens in leaps, but I do sense there are plateaus and times when you can suddenly play something that you couldn't a few months back.

Doing Caruso has fairly quickly helped with endurance (for me), keeping the horn on the face longer and breathing through your nose, is something I wouldn't have normally done or practiced.
ajwan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great advice here; thanks everyone! My home practices already consist of some practical technical studies, etudes/melodic pieces and some back-to-basics with my 9yr old daughter who's a beginner. I'll look into Caruso.

Steady as she goes it seems!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need a Reality Check - Range and Endurance Reply with quote

ajwan wrote:
...Is this OK at my stage of recovery as a come-back player, having playing/practicing consistently for 10 months now? Just looking for a reality check from the more experienced out there. Will it get better?

Cheers,
Andrew

Yes, you're doing fine and you will continue to get better.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
jerryv914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arban exercises 11-50. Rest much as you play. Never play tired.. over and over until easy.

Also exercise 22 from section on Slurs. Soft. 1 line at a time.rest between lines
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: I need a Reality check - Range and Endurance Reply with quote

Hey Andrew

Yes you're doing really well and the more you play you'll get better. Some good tips here previously, like John Mohan says it does take time to develop. Try, sensible practice to build the strength. Always breathe well, and fall back on this. For instance, if your blowing correctly and moving your air, it will be easier playing O Holy Night. Try practicing those cornet hymn tunes - e.g. take 3 or 4 tunes with repeat and that could be a practice session. Also, you could practice the Arban Characteristic Studies for endurance - these are really good! Then maybe some simple articulation exercises from Arban etc.....Try and REST when tired -build up and don't destroy, when practicing keeping it on your face! For example, if you can get through a whole Arban Characteristic study, then take 5 minutes REST, and play through another one. Hope that helps and just some ideas for you.
Best of luck and keep blowing my friend,

Best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: