• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bad habits..

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jafuentes3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Bad habits.. Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
Again, I can't thank y'all enough for all the wonderful information you have given me so far. It's been almost 1 month of daily trumpet practice since I first picked up my horn. (Happy monthiversary?)

Anyways, I would like for you guys to share what are the most common bad habits/technical flaws/mistakes you see in beginners (and how to avoid them/fix them) please.

I am a pianist and I was talking with my professor in pedagogy class; we came down to the conclusion of how much easier things would have been if we knew about small things that would have such big repercussions in the future..
I think a thread like this would be helpful to me and all beginners lurking in the forums.

For Thanksgiving week I am thankful for a wonderful trumpet community!!

All best,
J.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the #1 bad habit with learners is trying to go it alone too much - whether that's by not having lessons (please, please take lessons) or by not paying the teacher enough respect and trust to guide their path properly.

#2 would be not practicing as regularly as instructed and/or practicing the wrong things/ways
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the number one bad habit I see with my students is trying to learn new exercises and pieces at too fast a tempo. This leads to mistakes first needing to be unlearned before learning to play the pieces correctly.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
I suppose the #1 bad habit with learners is trying to go it alone too much - whether that's by not having lessons (please, please take lessons) or by not paying the teacher enough respect and trust to guide their path properly.

#2 would be not practicing as regularly as instructed and/or practicing the wrong things/ways

THIS.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouthpiece buzzing.

This is an advanced technique and should never be done by beginners.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
TKSop wrote:

THIS.

Absolutely.

Brad
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of adequate breath support. And not only in beginners... This, IMO, is where most "chop problems" start. Good luck.
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently started private teaching several 4-6th grade students...

The biggest thing is not knowing to adjust your oral cavity for intonation. Playing everything like a low C is one of the worst sounds and they wonder way they can't "play high"

Not having a pulse and insisting that the metronome "messes them up." Of course it does, play in time!

Not using their tongues, hoo attacks, poo attacks.

Using hand positions that cause valves to stick

only "bopping" or playing the very beginning of the note and not playing though it .

Breathing after every note.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above...

To add a few that I've noticed:

Taking the initial breath too quickly/not relaxed enough. We'll be playing an exercise that's 80bpm and they still feel the need to wait until the last possible instant before they inhale. Making them stop and do it again correctly only works once, then they go right back to it.

Thinking that there is a "magic pill" to getting better. I can't tell you how many students I've had that were so excited when they signed up, only to quit 3 weeks later because it isn't "easy" to get better. I also have a lot of students who will get frustrated and have melt downs almost every lesson because they can't nail something new on the first try.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have missed this, but it's so obvious . . trying to play too high too fast.

Not keeping your teeth apart to let wind inobstructively go out.
Screwing embouchure to get high notes out, the end justifying the means.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've truly got it in your heart to play trumpet learn to,

1. Play aggressively. Play a tad louder than your peers. No time for shyness. Put some ego into your ax. Say to yourself, "I am da Man" and play like you mean it. Caution: truly conceited people or egomaniacs neednt take this advice. Unfortunately they wont take advice anyway so my words are moot lol (:.

2. Take control of your horn or it will control you. Timidity is always perceived as weakness by an audience. Conversely a confident player can get away with utter clams at times. No one is going to throw tomatoes at you.

3. Practice is great but you'll learn more practical technique in rehearsal and concerts. Once you learn to blow half decently? Schedule yourself in at least two rehearsal bands per week. If you look at the success of the Caruso system much of it is due to it duplicating the rehearsal studio in your practice room.

4. Concentrate on intonation and tone.

5. Learn some solid high notes. Develop a good solid F above high C soon as possible. Too many trumpets spend their whole life stuck at high C. Do not become one of them. Let me rephrase that. High notes played well and in tune are important.

Other notes. A teacher who can take you through the Clarke Technical Studies for Cornet is valuable. As this develops breath control, fingers and range. While long tones are pushed by others Clarke considered them kind of a waste. Why not do something with your fingers while sustaining a series of notes?

Learn to improvise. Jerry Coker's ancient book "Improvising Jazz" is helpful if perhaps kinda confusing. The piece of advice I found helpful was to collect an inventory of hot jazz licks. Memorize them and learn to play in most of the common keys. Now you'll always have something to play when the changes say Gm-7 to D-7.

After you learn most of the Clarke Etudes? Transpose them into all 12 keys.

It would only take you about 2 years to cover the abive material pretty well. Maybe not perfect but pretty good. One more thing,

Avoid deep, large mouthpieces with sharp rims. When you find a piece which you control well? (As opposed to one which is controlling you!) consider buying another one in the same rim but a hair shallower. Use one for legit, the shallower one for jazz/lead. Plenty of people will disagree with me but Ive always had better luck with mouthieces which do more of the work for me. Let the other kids struggle blowing Bach 1C pieces.

Me? I want to control my horn and be in control always. Someine else can tire out and hit clams. Me? I want the reputation as the guy who never tires.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Mouthpiece buzzing.

This is an advanced technique and should never be done by beginners.

Really ???
so, my first teacher at the conservatoire put me on the wrong way 40 years ago, when he gave me the first lessons and lent me a mouthpiece to buzz it, before i could bring a cornet back home from the conservatoire, months after...

i don't understand how you and others can be so negatively dogmatic about mpc or free buzzing...
best
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with Lionel
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
If you look at the success of the Caruso system much of it is due to it duplicating the rehearsal studio in your practice room.

This statement is totally false. Playing in a rehearsal and practicing Caruso calisthenics are 180 degrees apart. If you played in a rehearsal the way you are supposed to practice the calisthenics they'd throw you out. Or they should. And if you practiced Caruso the way you should play in a rehearsal, you would lose most if not almost all of the benefits.
Caruso's words: "Do not play music the way that you practice my calisthenics."
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe mouthpiece buzzing is an advanced technique at all. I also don't believe you should practice for a month on the mouthpiece before putting it in the receiver. Wasted time, but not necessarily harmful.
Anything played on the mouthpiece should be practiced immediately on the horn. Try it. At any level, it will make your horn playing better.
sergeybondarev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lionel! Best wishes
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrpPro wrote:
Lionel wrote:
If you look at the success of the Caruso system much of it is due to it duplicating the rehearsal studio in your practice room.

This statement is totally false. Playing in a rehearsal and practicing Caruso calisthenics are 180 degrees apart. If you played in a rehearsal the way you are supposed to practice the calisthenics they'd throw you out. Or they should. And if you practiced Caruso the way you should play in a rehearsal, you would lose most if not almost all of the benefits.
Caruso's words: "Do not play music the way that you practice my calisthenics."

I've never studied with Caruso, or any of his students directly, but have spent some time working from Flexus, and based on my understanding from that (which is maybe not worth that much) - the rigid timing drills, and strictly structured long tones, sustained dynamic blocks, big interval exercises, and pitch centre exercises all force players to spend meaningful amounts of time practicing areas that are both already comfortable and uncomfortable in way that parallels real life playing conditions. This isn't true for everyone, but I think a lot of people tend to practice "mezzo" everything, at a comfortable tempo a lot of the time and accept flexible rhythm to avoid confronting response problems. If they make exceptions and bend rules for themselves in the practice room, inevitably they run into problems in rehearsals, and Caruso would force them to address these problems. Naturally, YMMV.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrpPro wrote:
I don't believe mouthpiece buzzing is an advanced technique at all. I also don't believe you should practice for a month on the mouthpiece before putting it in the receiver. Wasted time, but not necessarily harmful.
Anything played on the mouthpiece should be practiced immediately on the horn. Try it. At any level, it will make your horn playing better.

i've been maybe unclear : my first lessons (2 lessons a week, at 8 y.o) were mpc buzzing + cornet playing. But at home, i had for the 1st month or so, just a mpc, before the conservatoire lent me a cornet for home.
it was not a choice, but a necessity
best
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to worry about
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad habits:

1. Not establishing a clean, crisp and accurate and musical attack; for ANY notes, loud, soft, low, high.

2. Doing excessive lip slur exercises and flexibility studies. (While still with #1 above.)

3. Obsessing over range. Especially at the expense of tone quality and quality of attack. (No. 1)

4. Using excessive embouchure effort for low notes.

5. Waiting too long to inhale before a note and trying to inhale too much air in a short inhale.

6. Not inhaling through the nose at every opportunity.

and last but not least; BAD time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: