• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brass Band Vibrato

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Brass Band Vibrato Reply with quote

So I've started playing with the brass band I auditioned for a while back (thanks again for the advice on repertoire!). I'm like a kid in a candy store - it's so much fun! I'm playing on a Yamaha Xeno cornet with a GR 67 mouthpiece. I'm trying some other pieces out - haven't found the combo I really like yet.

What's really hard for me is that distinctive, fast vibrato that we hear in the cornets of British brass bands. How do you all achieve this sound - breath, fingers, chops? Any advice on how to practice it? I have been listening to tons of brass band music, and am experimenting mainly with breath and chop vibrato. I know it takes time, but any advice is appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video with vibrato advice from two preeminent BBB cornetists.
Piccolo Stomvi
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Brass Band Vibrato Reply with quote

drtrumpet1 wrote:
So I've started playing with the brass band I auditioned for a while back (thanks again for the advice on repertoire!). I'm like a kid in a candy store - it's so much fun! I'm playing on a Yamaha Xeno cornet with a GR 67 mouthpiece. I'm trying some other pieces out - haven't found the combo I really like yet.

Hi drtrumpet1

I've found that the Sparx mouthpieces work well with the Xeno, as does the Yamaha 16E. The Lewington McCann also plays well with a really nice sound in the Xeno, but I personally can't stand the rim.

I really hope that this will help.

Best wishes

Lou

What's really hard for me is that distinctive, fast vibrato that we hear in the cornets of British brass bands. How do you all achieve this sound - breath, fingers, chops? Any advice on how to practice it? I have been listening to tons of brass band music, and am experimenting mainly with breath and chop vibrato. I know it takes time, but any advice is appreciated!

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the U.S., you don't want that vibrato. I don't think it's that prevalent in the U.K. any more, either.
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much vibrato to use and when is very subjective. However, I will tell you that my playing experience is primarily with "British style" Brass Bands and cornet player vibrato is a natural effect of the chops - i.e. do not alter the blow or use the fingers.

(Of course I am speaking only to BBB cornet playing - I know finger vibrato is used by many trumpet virtuoso's.)
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stereotypical 100%-of-the-tine-on kind of vib isn't popular for sure - it needs to be something you can switch on and off at will, to be used when appropriate and in a way that is appropriate (sometimes that's all-on, sometimes it's starting the note straight and intruding the vib gradually, etc)
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely a chop vibrato to get it right. But, agree with other posters here, it's not standard to use it all the time - more for soloistic pieces and perhaps hymns.

You need to feel like it's musical when you appy/don't apply it, follow/ask the principal cornet and MD for their advice.

It is something that is not usually heard in US Bands, and here Downunder we have a bit of everything, a lot of English folk down here play in bands and use the English vib., while the home-grown players tend to use it less.

It is hard to learn if you didn't grow up doing it

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
drtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all! Some good feedback. Lots of practicing to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi drtrumpet1

Sorry, I forgot to reply to the second part of your question.

The vibrato you mention is pretty old fashioned nowadays, and something to be used sparingly and on appropriate repertoire. I don't tend to use it, preferring rubato and other methods of expression for solo. Hymns such as this one (obviously not a brass band, I'm in a hurry this morning) and Abide with me come to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSKUf2RxDUk

I'm not really sure how I do it, but it is not at all with the fingers, and is somehow with the lips or breath. It just comes when I think it. Probably mine is more of general vibrato than the specific one you mention i.e. wider and more subtle.

You are probably referring to what is often derogatorily described as a nanny goat vibrato.

This is probably no help, sorry.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for the vibrato was that the cornet, as a solo instrument, was pretending to be a light opera singer. Opera singers use vibrato and therefore so did cornet players. Also, the cornet in a brass band takes the part of the violin in an orchestra and violins use vibrato in an orchestra.

The reason vibrato declined was two fold:

1. The more orchestral, trumpety nature of compositions post 1980.

2. The increased number of cornet players who studied trumpet at university or have come to the cornet from the trumpet.

There is some evidence that vibrato got wider during the transition period from high to low pitch (mid 60s) when bands had mixed sets of instruments - some relying on pulling slides out, some with conversions and some that couldn't get low enough on the pitch. I have also seen conductors use vibrato to cover up other intonation problems.

It should really be a narrow, fast vibrato produced by moving the bottom jaw so you can turn it on and off at will.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the stereotypical British cornet players were imitating good singers, then they didn't do a very good job of it! This typical nanny goat vibrato, fast, constant and never ending is nothing like a singer's. (At least competent ones)

There can be all sorts of theorising about they whys of it, but it certainly isn't based on the practices of great singers, as so many, including Arban advised to imitate.

Totally unlike an orchestral string section, which shapes the explicitly taught technique of vibrato to create warmth and colour to the sound, a traditional BBB blurs pitch and tonal deficiencies with unending wobble.

All with what I hear as a thin, quite nasty sound, while I feel like I am standing on a vibration mat. There has to be a better way to bell this particular cat!

cheers

Andy (now ducking out of sight of the local brass bands!)
SirBuzzALot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, clearly (as ive said to you before) your listening to some some pretty weird bands in your local area or ancient recordings from the depths of time. Modern BBB generally sound rich , warm and dont wobble. No thin nasty sounds last time I went to watch Cory band - in fact the exact opposite.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singers of older periods used stacks of vibrato. That was what influenced that style. People did not have access to recordings so they would imitate local singers.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try emulating that amazing vibrato Harry James (as did Ray Anthony, and a FEW others) employed on those lush, romantic ballads of that era.

Not easy, when done so v tastefully ....
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a pronounced vibrato that I found myself slipping into while playing. I acquired it playing solos with a concert band and a dance band for years, but would catch myself using it on classical music too, which is a no-no. It took a lot of work to make it "optional" in my playing. A bad habit, for sure. A little goes a long way...
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of opinion of what vibrato is and where it came from but I dont see an answer to the OP question.

I think the problem is the OP basically asked, how can I get the vibrato that I am thinking about.

This cannot be answered.

Can the OP post a video example of the vibrato he wants to emulate. I for one dont hear fast distinctive vibrato in Brass Bands so I have no idea what vibrato the OP is seeking.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was answered in the very first response.
Piccolo Stomvi
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think so

The Op said "that distinctive, fast vibrato that we hear in the cornets of British brass bands. How do you all achieve this sound"

The first response simply linked a video of vibrato used in brass bands, however later responses said that this vibrato is no longer used in brass bands, it has gone out of style.

Dale said "you don't want that vibrato. I don't think it's that prevalent in the U.K. any more, either."

comebackcornet said "I will tell you that my playing experience is primarily with "British style" Brass Bands and cornet player vibrato is a natural effect of the chops - i.e. do not alter the blow or use the fingers." and that disagrees with the content presented in the video.

So if the video is not presenting the current style and the OP wants to learn the current style, what is the current style and what is the OP listening to.
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you watch the video? It was two of the best exponents of BBB cornet playing describing how to do the vibrato.

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video of Richard Marshall, one of the cornetists from the video and principal cornet with Black Dyke Band, performing a solo about a year ago (note the tasteful use of vibrato):

Link

Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: