• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bad habits..

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the worst habit is this.

Asking questions in forums like this of people who have no knowledge of you your issues your problems your needs and your development and expecting a helpful answer. Instead of asking it of a teacher who really can help.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
Perhaps the worst habit is this.

Asking questions in forums like this of people who have no knowledge of you your issues your problems your needs and your development and expecting a helpful answer. Instead of asking it of a teacher who really can help.

I was going to go a step along from this. Focusing on bad habits to avoid must sit there at the top of this list. The way the OP asked this is just backward thinking.

What is needed is to develop good positive playing habits. This comes from being instructed well. To sit about this in a pedagogy class is asking for poor educating down the track. It tacitly assumes we must now develop bad habits and then fix them, rather than learn how to play properly in the first place.

Yes, I am being a lot of a pedant about this. As we ALL should be.

cheers

Andy
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
I was going to go a step along from this. Focusing on bad habits to avoid must sit there at the top of this list. The way the OP asked this is just backward thinking.

What is needed is to develop good positive playing habits.

I agree. When learning or teaching complex skills, it's more effective to think about what you want to accomplish, rather than an infinitely long list of things not to do.
Piccolo Stomvi
Jafuentes3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God asking questions is not considered a bad habit for most (reasonable) people.

There is nothing wrong about asking anything (you should try it sometime! You will learn something)

Also, even with the best instruction, students are going to develop some bad habits. In my own experience, one of the qualities that define the best teachers out there is their ability to find ways of solving specific issues on each individual student. This ability is definitely developed through their own experience, I mean; fixing their OWN bad habits when they were students! (We are limited by our OWN experiences after all, huh?)
Don't think about reverse thinking. Think about different points of looking at the same issue.

To think there is something wrong about ASKING is not pedantic. Is completely against what I think music (education, performance, etc) is all about. There are ways to say things; I appreciate your feedback, but if that's your way of teaching, I am really happy I am not your student.

Music is about sharing. Please let's keep it that way.

For the people that have focused on the positive, thank you for your feedback. It's awesome to see all these different points of views.

All best,
J.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And let us not forget about playing with too much pressure.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not asking questions that is bad, it is where you ask them and who you ask.

Example and this is a true case.

A girls parents were asked to attend school and were shown paintings their daughter had painted in art. All the paintings were black paint only and depressing. The head teacher was very concerned and asked the parents if the girl was unhappy, what was her home life like did she have friends was she sleeping ok.

The parents were nonplussed everything seemed ok at home.

They brought in a child psychologist who asked the parents about her behavior, her friends, her general demenor,

Lots of questions were asked. But the questions were not the right questions and they were not asked of the right person.

After all the questions were asked they concluded that the girl must have some hidden issues and she should be interviewed to try to work out what was wrong with her.

When she was interviewed she was asked why she only used black paint.

She said, "I sit at the back in art and by the time I get to the front all the colors have gone".

People constantly ask the wrong people the right question. When they are ill they dont go to the doctor for an opinion they go to their favourite bar and ask the drunks there for a medical opinion.

When someone near to me does something irrational, I am asked by the guy next to me why he did that. I reply why dont you ask him he did it. Dont ask me.

I am not suggesting that the people in here are not excellent musicians, but if you want to ask a teaching question ask a teacher who can see you hear you and is able to coach you and work with you to help you improve.

And by the way what I said was the bad habit is asking in a forum INSTEAD of asking a teacher. By all means ask questions but ask a teacher as well.

Ask the right question of the right person, only then will you get the right answer.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Jafuentes3, you may want to stop and think a little. You've been playing a month. What, 31 days? And you are looking to focus on poor playing habits, and how to fix them.

To quote you:

Quote:

It's been almost 1 month of daily trumpet practice since I first picked up my horn. (Happy monthiversary?)

Anyways, I would like for you guys to share what are the most common bad habits/technical flaws/mistakes you see in beginners (and how to avoid them/fix them) please.

Knowing how NOT to play, will not allow you to learn how to play 'correctly'. If this is the way you wish to learn, then you have found a pretty large bad habit to correct. You seem to have missed my point and decided I am criticising the asking of questions. You may wish to reread my initial response. YOUR question is, in my opinion, the exact wrong way to look at things in this instance.

Educationally, to focus on NOT has been shown to be ineffective. Just look a the teachers who always tell their class to stop talking, stop running inside, stop, stop, stop...

The kids do not process 'stop'. They process 'talking', 'running', etc. And then go on to do exactly that.

So, to my thinking, if you focus on bad habits you want to avoid, you'll need to solve them as they invariably occur. If you look at the best practices you can, and work to develop them without allowing poor habits to form in the first place. When you do face a challenge, you will have the knowledge to begin to seek a solution. A good teacher will help with the exact tools needed to be successful.

But don't let me, or my decades of teaching get in your way...

cheers

Andy
Raggerty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "don't ask here ask your teacher" thing has a simple answer: do both. As a beginner be aware that you know nothing but also that you are the one experiencing everything about your own development.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
If you've truly got it in your heart to play trumpet learn to,

1. Play aggressively. Play a tad louder than your peers. No time for shyness. Put some ego into your ax. Say to yourself, "I am da Man" and play like you mean it. Caution: truly conceited people or egomaniacs neednt take this advice. Unfortunately they wont take advice anyway so my words are moot lol

One of the problems from what I've seen of school band programs is that there's little emphasis on developing a solid sound individually. A lot of times there are too many trumpets and the band director is likely riding them to hold back particularly in concert band. They need to learn dynamics but they also shouldn't be constantly sucking on the horn.

A local hs band director asked me to give some tips to his stage band trumpet section. The big thing that struck me was how wimpy their overall sound was. There was none of the strident *pow* of a solid section. Another issue I've seen is band directors don't seem to encourage kids to listen to really good players to get a better sound concept than they're going to get listening to each other honk.

Quote:
5. Learn some solid high notes. Develop a good solid F above high C soon as possible. Too many trumpets spend their whole life stuck at high C. Do not become one of them. Let me rephrase that. High notes played well and in tune are important.

If only it were that simple. And there are various things they should work on with a priority over getting a high F.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: