• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Romanza - Mendez/Almeida transcription

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackostrato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Romanza - Mendez/Almeida transcription Reply with quote

Greetings,

Does anyone either have, or know where I can get an accurate transcription of the Rafael Mendez/Laurindo Almeida version of Romanza? I'm actually looking for the guitar part but a full transcription would be even better. I would even be interested in a lead sheet with chord symbols.

thanks so much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzeOnKiWYvg
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the trumpet and guitar pieces are in the Rafael Mendez Library. Rafael's sons told me that their father recorded each piece, and a few weeks later Almeida came to the studio and simply added his parts without any written music. He merely listened to Rafael's track as he played.

I wish these were written out. They would be fun to do!

Dave Hickman
jackostrato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that explains how they were able to balance the levels of the trumpet with the nylon string guitar.

Thanks, Dave.

I was hoping that someone knows of someone who has a transcription or at least a lead sheet. It's for a friend who's a good amateur guitarist (and trumpet player). His daughter is graduating from conservatory and they want to play it as a duet in her recital. I'm a guitarist and can do the transcription but he needs it fairly soon and it will take up a bit more time than I'll have over the next week or so I figured I'd give it a shot.
foothillsbrass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old post! I bought the Mendez-Almeida record when it first came out, I was in high school and listened to it a lot!

At ITG in Banff a few years ago, Canadian (living in Europe) trumpet player Richard Steuart played many of these arrangements with guitar in his recital. I don't know if he transcribed them, or if so, they would be available.
foothillsbrass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that the OP was asking about Romanza. That is in the 1960s collection called "Gems" for trumpet and piano, and is also in the large Rafael Mendez Collection published in 1996. Shouldn't be too hard to create a guitar part from the piano accompaniment.
Phattlippz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening to this recording, it’s almost impossible to believe that they recorded these seperately. Most of the pieces ebb and flow in tempi and dynamics. Of course these two were musical giants...but still! What ears and musical sensitivity to be able pull that off. I wonder if any of the studio team is still alive to comment on that.

I’m currently working on “Bambuco” and “Entr’ Acte” with a guitarist. I transcribed Bambuco, and then I found the Mendez collection published by Carl Fischer. That collection includes 4 of the 10 pieces from the record, BUT they are in friendlier keys/ranges and the piano accompaniment does not necessarily musically reflect what was played by Almeida, and the trumpet parts are simplified. Still, it’s a good reference - especially for the mixed meters in Bambuco.

I’m hoping to transcribe everything on the record, and hopefully record some of them for demo purposes; I’ll post a link if/when that happens.

Regards, TC

trpt.hick wrote:
None of the trumpet and guitar pieces are in the Rafael Mendez Library. Rafael's sons told me that their father recorded each piece, and a few weeks later Almeida came to the studio and simply added his parts without any written music. He merely listened to Rafael's track as he played.

I wish these were written out. They would be fun to do!

Dave Hickman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: