• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Storing your horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jmac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Storing your horn Reply with quote

I’m a trombone player new to trumpet so please excuse the question if I should know this. Is there a best way or proper way of storing your horn so the moisture drains? I currently put mine back in the case and I think the bell faces down. When I take the horn out to play it usually has spit leftover in it. If I leave my trombone on the stand I have the same problem. I usually take the outer slide off and let it drain. I just don’t want my horn to have problems down the road because I could have done something different. Thanks
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the instrument is kept in an environment where it will warm and cool, and the temp differences need not be too extreme, you'll end up with condensation inside anyway... Oil the pistons, grease the slides, I always put a tiny dab of slide grease on the top and bottom valve caps and then put a few drops of valve oil in the mouthpiece receiver and blow like hell through the pipe, moving the pistons rapidly until it looks like there is smoke coming out of the bell. Then put it away. Good luck.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a product called Blow-Dry Brass that swabs and dries the entire trumpet with a sponge pellet (called a "bit") soaked in 99% Isopropyl alcohol. I have used it and never have residual condensation in my horns afterward. It is important to use 99% IPA, though, as lesser concentrations are diluted with water.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a suggestion for you: When I'm finished playing, I blow out all the water I can, then I pull a leadpipe swab through the leadpipe and tuning slide a few times to remove excess water. Then I lightly oil the valves to replace the water in the casings with fresh oil, put the trumpet in a trumpet bag I made with anti-tarnish cloth, pull the drawstring and put it in the case. The bag collects any leftover water or oil that otherwise might drip out into the case (which is what causes that funky smell in old cases).

Tim Wendt sells a leadpipe swab in the Trumpet Herald marketplace; that's what I use:
https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=101055&s=The-Best-Damn-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-Period-
Piccolo Stomvi
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Here's a suggestion for you: When I'm finished playing, I blow out all the water I can, then I pull a leadpipe swab through the leadpipe and tuning slide a few times to remove excess water. Then I lightly oil the valves to replace the water in the casings with fresh oil, put the trumpet in a trumpet bag I made with anti-tarnish cloth, pull the drawstring and put it in the case. The bag collects any leftover water or oil that otherwise might drip out into the case (which is what causes that funky smell in old cases).

Tim Wendt sells a leadpipe swab in the Trumpet Herald marketplace; that's what I use:
https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=101055&s=The-Best-Damn-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-Period-

+1

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
There is a product called Blow-Dry Brass that swabs and dries the entire trumpet with a sponge pellet (called a "bit") soaked in 99% Isopropyl alcohol. I have used it and never have residual condensation in my horns afterward. It is important to use 99% IPA, though, as lesser concentrations are diluted with water.

+1

I have been using Blow Dry Brass daily for a little more than a year and am very pleased with the results. I started with a new Bach Strad and after one year, it is still like new on the inside; shiny tubes (verified by bore light). The starting point does require a very clean horn (something many of my fellow trumpet players have been reluctant ??? to buy into even after seeing the results), but 2 minutes of effort at the end of every day have netted results that are a consistently clean, internal environment and consistent playing experience (my favourite aspect). I brought all of my other horns up to as clean as possible (a one time investment, so far) and use BDB on them after playing at the end of the day, and have had very similar results on all of my horns. If you want a consistent playing experience and an easy method of keeping your horn(s) clean and extending their life, Blow Dry Brass is as beneficial and easy as it gets!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+3 for Tim Wendt’s leadpipe swabs, they work GREAT.
I think that’s maybe the single best way (never tried Blow Dry Brass) to help
prevent red rot, along with oil down the leadpipe .

Brad
silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leadpipe swabs such as Tim Wendt's work great as well as Blow Dry Brass. I have used both. I too like to squirt some valve oil down the leadpipe and blow through to coat the tubing and prevent red rot.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if just putting oil in the lead pipe and blowing to spread it through the horn really makes a difference. At least in the lead pipe. It most likely will not spread much to the sides or top of the pipe.

Not arguing about doing it, just wondering if it really makes a measurable/quantifiable difference.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I wonder if just putting oil in the lead pipe and blowing to spread it through the horn really makes a difference. At least in the lead pipe. It most likely will not spread much to the sides or top of the pipe.

Not arguing about doing it, just wondering if it really makes a measurable/quantifiable difference.

True, maybe it’s one of those things we do because we were told that it works? Pretty sure I heard it from Mr. Schilke years ago.
I doubt there’s a downside to it, but it would be interesting to know how much it really does help.

Brad
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing your horn Reply with quote

Jmac wrote:
I’m a trombone player new to trumpet so please excuse the question if I should know this. Is there a best way or proper way of storing your horn so the moisture drains? I currently put mine back in the case and I think the bell faces down. When I take the horn out to play it usually has spit leftover in it. If I leave my trombone on the stand I have the same problem. I usually take the outer slide off and let it drain. I just don’t want my horn to have problems down the road because I could have done something different. Thanks

If you're just storing overnight or a few days before playing it again, and are cleaning it once a month, moisture shouldn't make any difference. If you're playing it infrequently, like once every couple of months, I would remove valves and slides, and dry and wrap them separately. It's amazing how much corrosion/buildup of grease happens when you don't play it on a regular basis.
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Interesting responses. Elaborate procedures and gizmos. Takes too much time. Just blow out as much as you can with the spit valves. At least once a day until the inside dries up...and go do something else with your time. I've learned the hard way to always keep all slides lubricated.

I can't imagine snaking out my tubing daily. My horn is a tool. Like a wrench. When it goes, I get another one.

I am not actually sure how long it takes a new leadpipe to seriously corrode. Got to be years.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

True, maybe it’s one of those things we do because we were told that it works? Pretty sure I heard it from Mr. Schilke years ago.
I doubt there’s a downside to it, but it would be interesting to know how much it really does help.

Brad
This is what Ren told me to do in 1969 when I bought my first horn from him. I've never had any problems (other than tarnish) with any of my instruments, some stored for years.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgadvert wrote:
Wow. Interesting responses. Elaborate procedures and gizmos. Takes too much time. Just blow out as much as you can with the spit valves. At least once a day until the inside dries up...and go do something else with your time. I've learned the hard way to always keep all slides lubricated.

I can't imagine snaking out my tubing daily. My horn is a tool. Like a wrench. When it goes, I get another one.

I am not actually sure how long it takes a new leadpipe to seriously corrode. Got to be years.

Everyone is different; some regard the horn as a tool to use and replace when needed, some prefer to go to a bit of extra effort to try to preserve it. Neither approach is necessarily right or wrong, just different. I use Tim’s leadpipe swab after every use of the horn, it takes maybe a minute, I don’t think I would probably find a better use of that one minute.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Jmac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips! I do play everyday so maybe a little moisture in the horn isn’t the end of the world. I clean my horns regularly too. I do own a beautiful old King 3b (trombone) that has a little red rot in the crook. I’m assuming it’s there because someone stored it with moisture in it. I’m just trying to do what I can, within reason, to prevent that. The 3b is from the early 60’s so maybe it’s just the aging process. I think I’m gonna give the swab with the string a try.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Here's a suggestion for you: When I'm finished playing, I blow out all the water I can, then I pull a leadpipe swab through the leadpipe and tuning slide a few times to remove excess water. Then I lightly oil the valves to replace the water in the casings with fresh oil

, put the trumpet in a trumpet bag I made with anti-tarnish cloth, pull the drawstring and put it in the case. The bag collects any leftover water or oil that otherwise might drip out into the case (which is what causes that funky smell in old cases).

Hi

I do the bit above the asterisks.

My preferred leadpipe swab is the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HW-Products-Brass-Saver-Trumpet-Brush/dp/B0002FP364/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511708931&sr=8-1&keywords=hw+brass+saver

I use the pull through dry as a leadpipe swab and wet as a snake.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: