• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wynton Marsalis & Kathleen Battle: Baroque Duet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetBeGone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Wynton Marsalis & Kathleen Battle: Baroque Duet Reply with quote

The call & answer on between Marsalis & Battle is pitch perfect on this recording. They had a symbiosis together. Catalogue: Sony Classical, Orchestra of St. Lukes
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always felt that Wynton's Baroque work back in the 1980s set a new standard for how it was supposed to sound. This is wonderful recording of Wynton with Kathleen Battle, although it should be noted that on the original recording, it was Edita Gruberova on the soprano parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5sOoMcGi6U

This is the one with Kathleen Battle, recorded live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUOTq_xGWpE

Both are fantastic recordings - neither is inherently "better" than the other - just different. There's a difference in color to the voices of Battle and Gruberova, and Wynton ornaments more on the recordings with Battle.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to Baroque Duet every Sunday morning. It's a long tradition for my girlfriend and I. Espresso, eggs, fresh fruit, and Baroque Duet. If that doesn't get your Sunday off to a magnificent start, I don't know what will!

Although she does tend to roll her eyes a bit when I still insist on pointing out that "Wynton is KILLING those piccolo licks! Wooo!"

Worth noting that the "making of" documentary is also superb. So fascinating to watch Wynton and Battle working on the material with their teachers. Even Wynton needs a little help once in a while! Here's part 1 of 7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNbSQJKgRAc
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the eye rolling, I understood that there was some contention between these two titans on this project.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Regarding the eye rolling, I understood that there was some contention between these two titans on this project.

Really? In the documentary they look like they're having a blast together, aside from the normal frustrations and difficulties that occur on any intense artistic project. They really do seem totally sympatico, and it certainly looks like Wynton does a masterful job of deflecting some of her frustrations into more productive channels.

(Battle has a reputation for being... difficult... to work with, but that's more or less just being a "soprano." My gf is a soprano as well, so I know how it is, believe you me.)
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Battle has a reputation for being... difficult... to work with, but that's more or less just being a "soprano." My gf is a soprano as well, so I know how it is, believe you me.

I married a soprano too. What's up with trumpet players and sopranos?
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Turkle wrote:
Battle has a reputation for being... difficult... to work with, but that's more or less just being a "soprano." My gf is a soprano as well, so I know how it is, believe you me.

I married a soprano too. What's up with trumpet players and sopranos?

I imagine it's a tolerance for high notes, and a predilection for egregious diva behavior?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: