• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Strange sensations in the throat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emji

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Strange sensations in the throat Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I have start playing again a month ago, and I have weird sensation in the throat, like when you breathe in when you snore. Its really annoying. I think its become my throat is too contracted, but I don't know how to relax it when I play. Any ideas ?

Thank you !
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the time, or just when you play high and loud? What happens when you play a soft 2nd-line G, for example?
Piccolo Stomvi
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you may be vocalizing. I get this when my tongue is too far back and it creates a glottal stop. Try moving your tongue forward in your mouth to open your throat.

Here are some other discussions that may help. https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Atrumpetherald.com+%7Egrunt

Kent
emji

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
All the time, or just when you play high and loud? What happens when you play a soft 2nd-line G, for example?

I have a hard time to figure out when it happens. Its seems kind of random. But it happens more often when I play high and loud, but it happens also when I hold a soft note or when I do scales.

oxleyk wrote:
Sounds like you may be vocalizing. I get this when my tongue is too far back and it creates a glottal stop. Try moving your tongue forward in your mouth to open your throat.

Here are some other discussions that may help. https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Atrumpetherald.com+%7Egrunt

I will try that and read the others posts. Also I tried to sing while playing to open the throat, maybe it was conter-productive.

Thank you again !

EDIT : I just play. It really seems completly random. Also I perfectly feel it, and Im not sure if others can heard it.
My tongue already feel forward, so I don't know how to move it forward. Maybe I unconsiously move it back sometimes.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't play into the range where this problem starts, and don't play at the louder volumes where this problem starts. You are rebuilding the feel of how to play. Basically you are building habits now. If you constantly play into the range that is difficult for you, you will just reinforce the habit of tensing up your vocal muscles, rear of tongue and/or soft palate muscles.

Just be patient, and play in the lower to mid comfortable register for now at low, easy volume levels. This will build GOOD habits. If the music goes too high, just take it down an octave.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you don't make a conscious effort to open your throat wide when you play, but just leave it alone. If you feel it getting tense and closing up, then stop and let it relax. Breathing exercises might help.
Piccolo Stomvi
emji

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers.
I take careful note of your advices.

I played several times this afternoon, easy stuff. It looks like it happens while tonguing. So the tongue block the air ? What to do ?
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake had a lot to say about tongue, throat and the "valsalvo maneuver." :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxpvHGq0VAk

Try using whispering vowel sylabels: Haaa, hooo, haiiii, heeee, hisssss
emji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I opened this thread a year ago. I have improve in general but the problem is still there.

Here is my problem and a bit of my story :

I used to put way too much pressure on the lips and trying hard with the upper register, which resulted in poor me eventually not able to play a single note. My first teacher was not able to help me, so I took few lessons with another one. He said I had too much control and gave me some simple exercises like #11 of Arban that I had to try to play without control and stay away from pieces of music I know too well to avoid revert to my previous way of playing. It helped a lot.

Then I did a break and when I came back I had this bad feeling in the throat and made grunting sounds all the time.

I tried not to worry too much about it and be patient.

Now, it happens less often, but I feel like its keeping me from improving.
I'm now doubling the first trumpet and I seriously need to work on my upper register.

It happens more with loud and especially high notes. When it happens it feels like a valve is forced, may be the valsalvo manoeuvrer.
If I do an ascending soft scale I can feel the pressure building in my stomach and in my throat, and when I blow, even a soft low note, I can see my throat bloats.

I tried a lot of things, relaxing as much as possible, playing with more or less air, but nothing seems to work. I have currently no teacher and play half the time with a silent mute.
Also, when I blow without the instrument nothing special happens, but with even on a simple note my throat immediately and completely bloats. Is this a sign something is wrong ?

So if you have some advices, thank you in advance.
Branson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem when moving into the lower range.

I finally noticed that if I opened my lips more, it went away.

I have no idea why it made a difference but for me it worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: