• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Let's talk about the Edwards X-13 trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locutus2k
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Let's talk about the Edwards X-13 trumpet Reply with quote

Lot of hype for the Edwards X-13 trumpet but very little first hand experience.
This trumpet looks very interesting, i would like to read some review / impressions on how it plays, strong points, weak etc. from owners or users who had a chance to play it.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Lawler C7 Deluxe ML stepbore
Conn 8b
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry and Horn Trader pieces
------------------------
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played one for a few minutes at ACB, and that was probably the easiest playing trumpet I've ever held. Super quick response, clear articulations, flexibile, the works.

My one caveat is it doesn't have that much "core" or "ring" to my ears, but if that's not a issue, it's a killer horn.
Locutus2k
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagmangood wrote:
I played one for a few minutes at ACB, and that was probably the easiest playing trumpet I've ever held. Super quick response, clear articulations, flexibile, the works.

My one caveat is it doesn't have that much "core" or "ring" to my ears, but if that's not a issue, it's a killer horn.

Very interesting, i was thinkin' "lot of core" instead. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Lawler C7 Deluxe ML stepbore
Conn 8b
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry and Horn Trader pieces
------------------------
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it for a bit at ITG this past summer. I was zooming through booth after booth and horn after horn thinking I was about done but that one really grabbed my attention. I had never heard of X-13 before then and had no idea of anything other than it was yet another horn sitting on a stand to try out.

I was specifically looking for "core" since my old Yamaha Xeno was primarily lacking in that so while I don't remember too many details I must have thought it had core for me.

I couldn't afford an X-13 but I bought a Gen 3 at a fire sale price, they were unloading all their old stock. That horn also has a really good core.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've written about this trumpet a few times before. I thought it was a standout at the 2015 ITG in SoCal. If I wanted a new trumpet for jazz playing, this would be it - it played great!
https://musescore.com/user/6200201/scores/4606576
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
I've written about this trumpet a few times before. I thought it was a standout at the 2015 ITG in SoCal. If I wanted a new trumpet for jazz playing, this would be it - it played great!

I also played it at the same event. The most memorable thing to me was the combination of the "strong core" mentioned above and its exceptionally light weight, which promotes the fast response. These two things don't typically go together, but the Getzen/Edwards guys put a lot of effort into isolating points where mass adds resonance and where lightness can be added without subtracting resonance. Very nice trumpet. Very notable accomplishment.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Divitt Trumpets

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my favourite at ITG2016.

Wonderful horn.
Dayton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the X-13 at ITG. My first impression was…wow! I liked it so much that I sold a few of my horns so that I could purchase one.

For me, the X-13 provides a full, clear sound that holds together at the dynamic extremes better than any horn I have ever played.

The X-13 is very free blowing. When I first started playing it I had a tendency to overshoot notes in the upper register when switching from another horn, particularly my C trumpet. That “problem” went away as I became more familiar with the horn.
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played the final prototype at a Chicago trumpet hang several years ago. It was mine as well as several other guys favorite. I thought it had everything, great core, slotting and with a commercial piece just sizzled. The blow was not too open and had resistance farther down the horn which I like. If I had the cash I'd have one in my quiver as my main horn. The Edwards guys nailed it in my opinion.
'73 Yamaha 631 Flugel
Patrick Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: