• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Combination trumpet/flugelhorn hard case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefgearhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Combination trumpet/flugelhorn hard case Reply with quote

I have decided to buy the Yamaha horn that I wrote about last week, although I was mistaken in identifying it as a “Wayne Bergeron” model. It is in fact, an Eric Miyashiro model. I wouldn’t care if it was a “Daffy Duck” horn, it is simply a more efficient horn for me, and allows me to make music on.

Apparently Eric wanted the horn sold with a “gig bag” of sorts, which is supposed to be a combination flugelhorn/trumpet case but I’m not comfortable with its design, even just with one trumpet in it. The EM model is extremely thin and light and I would like to use a double trumpet (or trumpet flugelhorn) case like the one that Yamaha makes. I’ve looked online but haven’t been able to find a source for either.

Does anyone know of a source for either the small “Xeno” badged double trumpet case or a nice trumpet/flugelhorn combo case?

-tj in the Cruz Mtns.
18 Adams F2
In the closet
82 L.A. Benge MLP
71 Bach 37 Stradivarius
69 Courtois flugelhorn
1949 Blessing Artist
84 DEG Dynasty 2v G Bugle
74 Conn Director
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the ProTec 301 Mike Vax case, I think Bobby Shew uses one as well. I have several friends who are pleased with this reasonably priced case.

Pricey but very protective and well made, endorsed by many including Carl Fischer: https://torpedobags.com/product/imagine-coyote/

Have you checked with a Yamaha dealer to see what they have in their accessories catalogue?
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiseman or Torpedo. No need to look beyond those two unless price is an issue.
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tj,

I'm in your neck of the woods and have a Torpedo Coyote you could check out. I also have a Walt Johnson trumpet/flugel case that would hold your horns, but that's a frustrating situation -- they're not made anymore and mine isn't for sale. But you might be able to find a used one somewhere.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Combination trumpet/flugelhorn hard case Reply with quote

chiefgearhead wrote:
I have decided to buy the Yamaha horn that I wrote about last week, although I was mistaken in identifying it as a “Wayne Bergeron” model. It is in fact, an Eric Miyashiro model. I wouldn’t care if it was a “Daffy Duck” horn, it is simply a more efficient horn for me, and allows me to make music on.

Apparently Eric wanted the horn sold with a “gig bag” of sorts, which is supposed to be a combination flugelhorn/trumpet case but I’m not comfortable with its design, even just with one trumpet in it. The EM model is extremely thin and light and I would like to use a double trumpet (or trumpet flugelhorn) case like the one that Yamaha makes. I’ve looked online but haven’t been able to find a source for either.

Does anyone know of a source for either the small “Xeno” badged double trumpet case or a nice trumpet/flugelhorn combo case?

-tj in the Cruz Mtns.

Hi chiefgearhead

On the lines of the supplied Xeno double case, is this one:

https://www.johnpacker.co.uk/prod/jp851-pro-lightweight-double-trumpet-case

I personally own and use this case everyday. Obviously it will not hold a flugel, but its main advantage for me is that it will hold a short model cornet with a wide wrap and tall valve block, like my Xeno cornet.

Even if you don't need or want to carry a cornet in the other slot, this case is along the lines of the Xeno double one and is a very good case. Its one downfall in my opinion is the pocket on the top. Since this is the type of case like the Protecs, whereby you can configure the interior to fit your instruments, it is narrower than the Xeno double case which is not modular and simply fits two trumpets. Since it is taller than the Xeno double case (hence why it will also hold a short model cornet), they are both almost exactly the same size, but with the width of the JP one being the same as the depth of the Yamaha one and vice versa. Since the JP case has the large pocket on the lid which is the narrowest part of the case, unlike the supplied Xeno case, it simply will not hold any sheet music, as the pocket is far too narrow front to back. Maybe this doesn't bother you. Other than as a gripe it doesn't bother me, as I carry a separate accessory bag.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again chiefgearhead

Further to what I say above, the JP case is available from Austin Custom Brass.

i.e. http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/jp-pro-deluxe-double-trumpet-fiberglass-case-in-black/

If you don't need a double case, I like the look of the GL trumpet case also on the Austin Custom Brass website:

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/gl-cases-etui-trekking-glk-case-in-nylon/

http://www.glcases.com.tw/products/detail.php?language=_eng&cid=22&pid=19&fmenu=22

If you look at picture 3 on the Austin Custom Brass link, you will see that the outer front pocket is expandable. This case reminds me of my long discontinued Protec Extreme backpack:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/protec-extreme-pro-pac-trumpet-case

The front pocket of the Protec Extreme case is also expandable, and mine holds a foolscap style cardboard music folder (even a couple of these if not too full), small fold up metal music stand in its carry bag, K&M in the bell style trumpet stand, full set of mutes and bottle of water, with a little room still to spare. I have never yet found a case that will hold as much, but is still relatively small.

I hope that this will help.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the double case that came with my Yamaha Xeno (TRC-800E). It's ok, and I use it, but I wouldn't say it's superior to any other double case out there. If you really want one, you might be able to order it from a Yamaha dealer. I too haven't seen them listed for sale separately anywhere.

I also have a Protec Trumpet/Flugelhorn Combination PRO PAC Case. I'm very satisfied with it and would recommend it.
Piccolo Stomvi
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
I have the double case that came with my Yamaha Xeno (TRC-800E). It's ok, and I use it, but I wouldn't say it's superior to any other double case out there. If you really want one, you might be able to order it from a Yamaha dealer. I too haven't seen them listed for sale separately anywhere.

I also have a Protec Trumpet/Flugelhorn Combination PRO PAC Case. I'm very satisfied with it and would recommend it.

I use this too for my Yamaha and ACB Doubler. Awesome case (I suppose it could have a few more places to put misc objects but it's definitely sturdy enough)

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: