• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shires vs Powell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OakleyWolffe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Shires vs Powell Reply with quote

I'm looking into getting a Shires C trumpet, as that's what my teachers have played. However, I'm also probably replacing my current Bb with a Powell Bb. Since I'll already be at both places, I plan on testing both company's Bb's and C's. As I said, I plan on testing both out for myself, but I'm curious what others think of the two company's horns compared to each other.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shires makes great trumpets. I tried several of the Bb and C trumpets Fred Powell brought with him to ITG 2017. They were nice horns (though I didn't like the location of the main brace on the C trumpets; found it awkward to throw the third valve slide).

Both Shires make a wide enough range of high-quality horns that it is difficult to offer a direct comparison. None of the Powell horns leapt out at me like the Shires 4F did, but it is really a matter of personal preference.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you narrow the field down to these two?
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: