• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Those pesky non-notes between low F# and pedal C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiteReader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Those pesky non-notes between low F# and pedal C Reply with quote

I am just completing Lesson 9 in my self-study of Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach to Daily Practice. I'm practicing 1.5 to 2 hours a day, in the prescribed manner. When I got to Lesson 6, I gave myself three weeks, instead of two to complete the lessons.

I'm quite satisfied with the results so far: improved stamina and articulation, a higher usable range, and I can get down to third pedal C—a milestone for me, as I never even hit a first pedal C before starting this book. I'm not Maurice André or Wynton Marsalis yet, but am willing to give it time.

My problem and question is this. I still cannot get those pesky non-notes from low F# to first pedal C. Occasionally it seems like some faint noise might be coming out, but by far the greater part of the time all I get is an air note. It is very frustrating. It disrupts the musicality of the arpeggios, and needlessly uses up air.

Any suggestions on what to do? Should I just ignore these notes, or should I keep struggling in the hope that some day they will come?

To help you answer me, here is my CV as a trumpet player:

Experience:
• age 10-12: band and private lessons
• age 22-23: brief, unserious “comeback” attempt
• age 38-41: two years of private lessons but not enough time for practice; played simple part with two other trumpeters in amateur production of Beethoven's Choral Fantasy
• age 72: four months of daily practice, 1.5 to 2 hours.

Also, I get occasional coaching and advice from a close friend who is a teacher of French horn, piano, and voice. Paid lessons are not in my budget.

Thanks for any advice.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Those pesky non-notes between low F# and pedal C Reply with quote

Hi there,

Do you have a webcam? If not, buy one (you can get a real good one for about $54) and we can get together on Skype and I'll show you how to properly play the Pedal F down through the Pedal Db. Every student I've ever had has been able to play those notes within minutes of receiving the proper instructions (in person or via Skype). Here's an Amazon link to the Webcam I use for giving Skype Lessons:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Widescreen-Calling-Recording-Desktop/dp/B006JH8T3S

If a webcam is not available and not in the budget, we could probably do it over the phone, but I'd prefer to be able to see your embouchure when you play the pedal notes.

Just click on the e-mail button down below this post and send me an e-mail with your contact information.

I won't charge you for a short session like this (Merry Christmas and/or Happy Hanukkah!).

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
SiteReader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, John. I've emailed you.

--Larry H
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first pedal register are notes from F below low C on down through D flat. The notes from F below low C on down through D flat are not on the the horn. You have to make them. Since these notes have the feel of bending a note flat, the correct way to develop the right "feel" is to bend tones flat. Play a low C and slur down to B natural, second valve. This establishes the pitch. Now play the same two notes without using any valves for B. (Bend C flat a half step.) Now continue down with the same idea, first using valves to establish the pitch, then bending the notes flat, using no valves. When you get down to low G, you will have played it as though it were a pedal tone. Now start on low B natural and continue down through low F sharp in the same manner. When you play low F sharp with the second valve, you will be playing it as though it were a pedal tone. Start on low B flat next, and continues down to pedal F. You will notice that the last two notes (B flat to F) are different in that there are no valve changes. To establish the pitch, we play an octave above first. You will also notice that pedal F is nothing more than a low B flat bent flat a perfect fourth, pedal E is a low A bent four notes flat, and so on. Play the octave above first to determine the pitch, then bend the notes into the pedals.

How to bend notes flat:

Keep your wind moving.
Do not loosen your lip.
Think "aw" as you slur down.
Drop your jaw slightly.

To play your 1st Pedal C:

Play a low C with a full sound, and while doing so:

-Relax all your muscles
-Drop your jaw - slightly
-Think "AW"
-Keep your wind moving
-Keep the lips vibrating
-Slide the mouthpiece slightly higher on your upper lip
SiteReader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Solo Soprano. You've given me a lot to try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: