• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why no "West Coast" cool jazz play-alongs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Why no "West Coast" cool jazz play-alongs? Reply with quote

I love Aebersold play-alongs, and all the other products offered by Jamey Aebersold, including his workshops, which I have attended.

I was just listening to Chet tonight and wondering why there isn't a Chet Baker/Russ Freeman play-along, as well as a Gerry Mulligan/Baker and Miles/Mulligan "Birth of the Cool" volume. Not to mention Bob Brookmeyer, Stan Getz, Shorty Rogers, etc.

Such great tunes: Bea's Flat, Band Aid, Line for Lyons, Maid in Mexico, Russ Job, Carson City Stage, Batter Up.

I learned that there is no Kenny Dorham volume because a certain villain bought all the rights to his music and refuses to allow it, and that some similar legal problems caused the Clifford Brown volume to be discontinued.

Is there a similar obstacle to Baker/Mulligan, or some other reason that there is no Chet play-along? Maybe they just hadn't thought about it yet or haven't gotten around to it.

Last edited by markp on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this years ago when I was transcribing a bunch of Chet's solos
on Line for Lyons...

https://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=843039&lid=0&keywords=Jazz%20Play%20Along%20mulligan&subsiteid=1&
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Gerry Mulligan/Baker stuff. There is so much space in these recordings, why not just play along. I've done that and find it helpful. I don't like Aebersold because I find the chords used are too hard to follow. But then I like melodic improvisation which is more common with the Chet Baker stuff.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: