• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Expanding range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BEBumsted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Expanding range Reply with quote

Should one really practicehigh range? The method books, exercises versus playing a lot of music up an octave and routinely going above High C? Which is better? I know some might say "both." But some of us who only play occasional gigs barely have the time it seems to get in some decent playing every day. I manage it augmented by buzzing my mouthpiece in the car.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Severinsen always said that if you want to develop the ability to play the high register you have to practice the high register a lot. I agree. There really is no adequate substitute.
Avan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Doc Severinsen always said that if you want to develop the ability to play the high register you have to practice the high register a lot. I agree. There really is no adequate substitute.

BUMP!!

" Man Without an Audience "
Album Release - 2017
" Mi Vida es Una Cancion "
Album release - 2022

USAF 1974-1980 E-4
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

For me the high register was not always natural. I believe playing high notes is mostly about efficiency, meaning that if you’re doing everything else right, they should come eventually. Most of the people I’ve met who have good upper registers told me that they didn’t spend a lot of time practicing in the upper register exclusively.

A few months ago, I was having severe embrochure problems, and I could not play above a high C (or even play a high C at that). My trumpet teacher changed a few things (mostly concepts rather than physical changes) that helped me play more efficiently. I think the most major thing was to not put all the work on my chops, by using my diaphragm more (cause I was barely using it). The diaphragm can help compress the air for the upper register. Now that I’m play a lot more efficiently, and using my air correctly, I’ve gained a whole 4th of range in just a few months.

I do agree that you need some practice in the upper register to maintain it and have it consistent, but it shouldn’t be a priority in most cases (unless you specialize in super high notes I guess).

Of course there is no one way to play the trumpet, there are many different approaches, and there are many players who are very successful with different techniques.

My post was very general, and is just my opinion. Hope this helps!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you should practice high range just like anything else. The demands on you change and the horn behaves differently as you go higher and higher - just like any other part of the range you want to have as much control as possible over the notes. You'll only improve that by practicing.

Along with doing range-building exercises try to also be aware of what you're doing physically. Your jaw, teeth, lips, tongue/oral cavity, angle of the horn. Spend at least some time watching yourself in a mirror.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
SteveDurand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand your question, you want to know if it is a better use of your time to practice exercises or to play regular music up in the high range.

Since the goal of any practice is to prepare you for performance. I think that going straight to the music would be a better use of your limited time. You should try to find music that will work on all aspects of playing high; e.g different articulations, scales and arpeggios both up and down, picking the high notes right out of the blue, etc.

I will regularly practice violin pieces to get this kind of practice.

Regarding mouthpiece buzzing in your car. I used to do this. I recommend that you get a 3 foot long piece of plastic tubing to stick your mouthpiece in. This basically gives you a Bb horn with the proper kind of impedance to simulate your trumpet.

Steve
MitchSW1235

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Adding Range in Undergrad Reply with quote

I've never been a great high player, my skills are very modest, so my comment is likely more helpful to younger players. I went through that time early in my undergrad where high C was my highest practical note and I sort of plateaued there for a while. Eventually, I got really into the James Stamp warmups/studies. I was using them because it made my playing feel better, and improved my endurance and flexibility, but I never really thought about playing higher. Then one day after maybe 2 months of doing Stamp regularly I got the idea to check where I was at range wise. To my surprise, I could now play up to F relatively easily. F isn't any tremendously high note, but the point here is that for a young player, adding a fourth to your range in about two months is kind of a big deal. I don't play much anymore, but I still enjoy the Stamp exercises, and I also find it interesting that I added a fourth of range above high C without ever attempting to play above high C.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello

you must use everything : Colin, arpeggi, Clarke 8va above, and lead parts.
BUT : with a good embouchure, coordination, technic
best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: