• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Double Tonguing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Double Tonguing Reply with quote

How do you teach someone first starting to double tongue?
islandtrumpeter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach beginners to find what syllables feel most comfortable to them and use that. This could maybe be Tu Ku Tu Ku, Di Ga Di Ga, or Toe Ko Toe Ko. After picking one, stress the importance of practicing slow and with a metronome. Hope this helps.
Bach Artisan C
Yamaha 6810S Piccolo
ACB Flugel
Austin Custom Brass MPs
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned by blowing ti-ki-ti-ki... (Like ticket without the last t) while delivering newspapers on my bike when I was a kid. Important to be blowing through an embouchure (IMO) to get used to starting the air already under pressure. I believe too many people emphasize the muscular action separate from actually moving the wind and end up trying to make sound with their tongue rather than with the air. Don't make a sound with your tongue when you are playing, just release the pressurized air.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With both double and triple tonguing - start doing it ridiculously slowly. As slowly as you have to to be able to maintain it. Use a metronome and control the rate, slowly building it over time. One single notes at first, then move around - between two notes, scales, chromatic scales, Clarke exercises etc.

Also play things using only k tonguing instead of "tuh". Scales, exercises, anything. Try to make the "kuh" as crisp as your "tuh".
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on double-tonguing out of the Franquin Method for about the last 6 weeks or so, and I've found it really helpful. He has about 3 pages of text instruction, followed by about 25 pages of exercises on multiple tonguing (double and triple). As with the rest of this method, the text instructions are very good and are essential to get the full benefit from the exercises.

His approach shares some things I've seen in other books: He starts the student working with the ka syllable by itself. Then he has slow double-tonguing exercises using ta-ka and then inverting it with ka-ta. He has dotted eighth-sixteenth and double-dotted eighth-thirty-second patterns using ta-ka and inverted with ka-ta. He has exercises doing double-tonguing on triplet figures and triple-tonguing in duple. These variations foster independence and strength in using either syllable. When you combine it with his advice on bouncing the articulations on the air, it can really improve speed and control. It's a great resource.
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: