• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How many people can actually play above high C?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can.

HOWEVER; I almost never use it. It's there, if I need it ... but, in my recollection ... I've occasionally used it as a "closer" / "show-off" note, to elicit the "Ooooh's-&-Ahhh's" from the audience.

I don't need to do that, any longer.

Superfluous.

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Hylian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I played in college I had a consistent G over high C... anything above that was a struggle. Since graduation and the horn pretty much being closeted until alumni reunions, i'm lucky to squeak out an E above C. Meh, life goes on.
DetroitBrass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Emerich's middle range is a high c.
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares who can play high C? Play the doggone music first.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
Gawis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sitting with a serious problem of barely reaching a 3line bflat as a beginner and tried to search for high range comments/advise. I wonder how this pushing the tongue upward is done when seeking higher notes. And somebody says here you can scream the note and "children are FBI". No need for prank video for a good laugh.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bstradivarius wrote:
Who cares who can play high C? Play the doggone music first.

I get your point, but if the doggone music requires that C and above, you probably will care.

Seriously, the weekly gigs I do require at least a C above the staff, and frequently up to F#/G. For a four hour gig....and that’s nothing compared to what some guys need to do.

I understand and agree that there’s much more to being a good musician besides range, but consistent (and not just in the first twenty minutes) range to C and above is a necessity for a fair amount of what many people need do, at least outside of concert band.

Brad
ryanmuckenfuss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty as a player in high school the approach to "screaming" by my generation is sad. In concert season everyone wants the trumpet part over cornet just so they can play high. Don't get me wrong playing high is fun and all but younger players need to focus on tone. Personally my consistent range is to maybe a Bb or B below high C. Sure we can all give ourselves hernias and squeak a double G but who wants to hear that at a Jazz gig?
Olds Ambassador
Bloo42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the piccolo on Penny Lane a few months ago, which from what I remember goes to a high F. I'm currently in my 5th year of playing. It's definitely not easy to do at all, but it most certainly is doable. It's all about the proper technique and having the endurance to be able to play through it.
trumpetman146

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can play up to high D, so technically I can. Hope this helps
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In high school and college I consistently had D, Eb, E, occasional F. Once, only once, as the big finish of the last chart the last year I was in high school band camp before graduating, I hit the G. Once.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryanmuckenfuss wrote:
In all honesty as a player in high school the approach to "screaming" by my generation is sad. In concert season everyone wants the trumpet part over cornet just so they can play high. Don't get me wrong playing high is fun and all but younger players need to focus on tone. Personally my consistent range is to maybe a Bb or B below high C. Sure we can all give ourselves hernias and squeak a double G but who wants to hear that at a Jazz gig?

If you REALLY want to hear a lot of bad upper register attempts, go to any music expo/convention/clinic, where there are displays of lots of horns set up by the manufacturers. Fifteen minutes or so of high school kids (and others) straining/fracking upper register notes, and you’ll be looking for the nearest sports bar. 🙄

Brad
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Controversial as it may seem, everyone can if they dedicate themselves to it and gain the correct knowledge to do so. Are some people physically gifted to be able to achieve high range more easily? Maybe, but we'd have to qualify what that means (shape of teeth, lips, etc.) - and realistically it can't mean TOO much considering that no two people are alike and there's several people who can do it.

Can you do it and sound like Wayne? Only Wayne can.

Can you do it after a 3 hour rehearsal? Can you play it once staccato at at fff after 75 measures of rest? Didn't think so. Can you even hit it reliably? 75% of the time? more than half the time? If that was what I was aiming for, and I dedicated the time to doing that specifically, I don't see why not.

The preposition is that it is impossible, but that's factually incorrect. Anyone can do it, but just expect to have different aims than the rest of the community of musicians who don't buy into trumpet ****.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twelve year old thread here, but I’ll just add this:
I really think that some people who scoff at the need for a range above second ledger C are those who can’t play up there. If you’re involved in many commercial music genres, you’ll probably need a solid range to at least F.
I also think that most anyone can get there, but probably not with an hour per day practice schedule. My range went from a weak C to a consistent G when I was a high school kid, and increased my practice to a minimum three hours EVERY DAY, 4-5 during summers. I really believe the old “10,000 hours” rule applies to being an accomplished musician, and most people simply don’t do it.

I imagine there are teachers/methodology that would speed the process, but my experience was lots of practice and pedal tones.

Brad
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Playing above high C Reply with quote

THIS. As a commercial player, you will be required to sound relaxed and easy when you play what's in front of you. The closer it is to the top of your range, the less that is true, generally speaking, and the riskier it is. I have played many more As above the staff than high C, and for longer. There used to be an adage that your effective range sits about a fourth lower than your playable range. This is the main reason I constantly strive for a stronger upper register.

RandyTX wrote:

Most people that can barely squeak out a C above the staff probably worry every time they see the A below it on a part as well, because it's near the top of their comfort zone and they're not sure from one day to the next if it'll be there when they need it, or if they're tired.

When it becomes 'just another note to play' then you really own it.

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently become able to play up to a hi g for the 1st hour of playing on scales on half notes. The second hour an e is usable, the third the c, and the few times I play 4 hours the c isn’t strong but is there. The only way I know to build this is by putting about 1/2 hour a day into range and interval work. So I don’t really think I could do reliable lead work anymore unless all the charts stayed at hi d or so, and that would also depend greatly on a number of other difficulty factors. In hi school my band director was ex Woody Herman and occasionally brought the stage band some original charts to try. I can tell you that although the range was difficult in the extreme, it was not the only difficult thing written on that page. I knew after seeing those charts that it would take everything I could ever do to play 4 hours of that. My hat is off to anyone who could ever do that night after night. And with the exception of the range (mostly) the 2-4th parts were just as hard and probably required better reading skills. If you are looking to range to become a good lead player then you better have everything else to back it up.
Rod
lanzoar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hit the E, takes a bit of strain in the face tho. I've never really worked exclusively on range though, I just go by the "improve by playing" mindset. Finding the right cornet and mouthpiece for me really helped too.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
ryanmuckenfuss wrote:

If you REALLY want to hear a lot of bad upper register attempts, go to any music expo/convention/clinic, where there are displays of lots of horns set up by the manufacturers. Fifteen minutes or so of high school kids (and others) straining/fracking upper register notes, and you’ll be looking for the nearest sports bar. 🙄

Brad

10-4 senor. I stop in on occasion just to make myself feel better about my own playing. I won’t play anything in public that doesn’t “sound right” to me. So I’ll usually try to get as far a way from anyone as I can if I try to stretch normal range ~ e- f above hi c. I once went with the express purpose of getting a very custom Eclipse . I played under the table when as few as possible were doing their hog calls so I could get a feel of the horn. These are very hard places to hear yourself. It makes you wonder what people are doing and why the do it🤭
Rod
deleted_user_5ac02d6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: change this expectation Reply with quote

annoying that performers are expected to create interest using absurdly high notes where the instrument itself does not sound as much as a brass instrument and more as piercing load noise.
If you can't see the point don't practice as much high notes.

Then there is the factor that most use traditional mouthpieces, and some use custom ones. It is a whole different game with a mouthpiece that does not have too much bite inner edge is rounded and the rim a cushion rim and maybe a shallow cup might facilitate higher notes.
Otherwise there is a massive and quick risk of bruising the lips if done wrong pressure at high notes to hold lips and air without failing, and that bruising leads to scars.

High C okay. I can do that. Yet when the musicians or wannabes are asking if I can play higher, I just tell them it isn't practical and that they should find a saxophone or be entertained by someone else.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: change this expectation Reply with quote

wooden trumpet wrote:
High C okay. I can do that. Yet when the musicians or wannabes are asking if I can play higher, I just tell them it isn't practical and that they should find a saxophone or be entertained by someone else.

I would be the first person to say that upper register is only a part of being an overall good trumpet player, but range above second ledger C is hardly impractical, in fact, in some genres (commercial, jazz) it’s not only “practical”, it’s necessary.

Brad
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A developed embouchure that functions properly will produce a high G, above high C.

If you're calling this "double G," it's probably way out of your reach.

I practice one-handed long tones and multiple tonguing on high G every day, unless I'm on a gig. Taking that higher on a daily basis is what I'd need to do to expand my upper limits, but that's not my goal; it just takes too much time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: