• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Choosing my new "magic" shallow mouthpiece

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Choosing my new "magic" shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

So I don't have spectacular range. However, I've been working very hard on building it. High D is the usual ceiling. But with my added strength I've gained from building my chops I can squeak pretty high. I play on a GR 64M and a Curry 3c. However, on Wednesday, I tried a friend's Patrick CR5ZM and was able to play and sustain a Double G with ease. Not a squeak...a note. I checked the numbers:
My GR is .64 inches
Curry is .665
The Patrick is .652

The Patrick is also near the depth of the GR.

I'd just get the Patrick, but I hate the rim. Much too sharp for my liking. Do you recommend I have Curry custom the same mouthpiece but with their rim? Custom Patrick with a different, rounder rim?

And also, why did this mouthpiece work so well for me?
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick has some very comfortable Jettone inspired rims. I'm sure he could make you a custom piece to your liking.

Why did it work? Between you and the mouthpiece, there are too many variables to comment.

Last edited by Ed Kennedy on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
hackney_wick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Choosing my new "magic" shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by hackney_wick on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://patrickmouthpieces.com/store/#!/CR5ZM/p/13885785/category=3253127
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does Patrick take their cup diameter measurement?
Do you like the GR 64M rim?
What horn do you play and do you have a gap measurement?
Have you tried 64MS, 64M-B, 64S-B, 64S?

Send us a video of you play testing the three mouthpieces if you wish. I can even send you some play test exercises.

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
why not contact Patrick, explain your problematic, and see with him if he can offer a rim alteration or a new mpc customized with the rim contour you'd like?
best
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like the rim and feel of the Curry 3C? Ask Curry to make a 3C with a 28 hole and 50s backbore. You'll be surprised. In a hurry? Buy a Curry 3C cup and a Curry 50s Backbore and try it out (on mouthpieceexpress they offer Curry standalone cups and backbores).
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the replies! I think what I am going to do is weigh the costs and pick from there. I've emailed Patrick and am awaiting a response. Trouble with that is I don't know if I'd like their JT rim either. I'm picky with rims. Anyone know the cost of a Curry custom?

Brian: I do like the rim of the GR. Unfortunately I haven't tried any of those pieces. Although I'd love to.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I find the time, I will take a trip to Dillons and see whether it was purely the throat/bore combination that worked for me or the diameter along with that.
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That GR 64M is a very nice mouthpiece and is what I play but I feel your pain regarding the quest for high notes. It's a never ending battle (for some of us at least). I was experimenting with a Laskey 50S and it's one of the best sounding moderately shallow mouthpieces I've played but I've found if I remember to stick with chop technique fundamentals I end up better off with the 64M in the long run.
Yamaha 8315G flugel/ Reeves 42F
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Thanks very much for the replies! I think what I am going to do is weigh the costs and pick from there. I've emailed Patrick and am awaiting a response. Trouble with that is I don't know if I'd like their JT rim either. I'm picky with rims. Anyone know the cost of a Curry custom?

Brian: I do like the rim of the GR. Unfortunately I haven't tried any of those pieces. Although I'd love to.

What specifically is the issue with the rim? We have a number of rim profiles available. Want something flatter with a softer bite? We have made a number of e64 models.

Bri
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like softer rim and bite, Marcinkiewicz are great great to me
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New mouthpieces have a “honeymoon” period when you first get to playing on it. You may get a little more range at first or a little different sound or flexibility.

Then reality of muscle memory and adjustment sets in. After getting used to the new piece you’ll inevitably revert back to where you were before you started with regard to range, flexibility and overall playability.

It took me many years and countless mouthpiece purchases to figure that out. There’s nothing wrong with experimenting and sometimes you get lucky or get closer to a sound you’re looking for and maybe some added endurance. But no mouthpiece will ever give or add any extended range in my experience.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Anyone know the cost of a Curry custom?

It depends on the options you choose (blank, finish) so you have to ask him. Anyway expect much less than your usual custom works.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less in cost or quality? And it shouldn't be too extravagant. Maybe a gold rim though because that's super cool.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.trader wrote:
New mouthpieces have a “honeymoon” period when you first get to playing on it. You may get a little more range at first or a little different sound or flexibility.

Then reality of muscle memory and adjustment sets in. After getting used to the new piece you’ll inevitably revert back to where you were before you started with regard to range, flexibility and overall playability.

It took me many years and countless mouthpiece purchases to figure that out. There’s nothing wrong with experimenting and sometimes you get lucky or get closer to a sound you’re looking for and maybe some added endurance. But no mouthpiece will ever give or add any extended range in my experience.

+1

This is exactly correct. Sorry, but there is no "magic" mouthpiece or "magic" horn.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
trumpet.trader wrote:

+1

This is exactly correct. Sorry, but there is no "magic" mouthpiece or "magic" horn.

+2

Well said! I have been playing on Reeves 41 Rims with a few different bottoms (depending on horn and requirement) since the early 70s. I think that I "learned" the mouthpiece rather than going on a safari. Don't know if I was just lucky or found a great setup very early on. Either way, this many years later, my setup still does what I expect it to do.

Best Wishes,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Choosing my new "magic" shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:

I checked the numbers:
My GR is .64 inches
Curry is .665
The Patrick is .652

And also, why did this mouthpiece work so well for me?

First, I’ve learned that the advertised specs on a manufactures website or ad doesn’t necessarily mean that it is accurate, or the specs of a competitor is accurate or correct or a fair way to judge two different pieces.

All mouthpiece makers seem to measure the inside cup diameter from different places. Either from the high point of the rim, or the inside or underside of the bite or from a different area.

And talking about such minute size differences the feel of actual size of a rim can be radically altered by plating and buffing processes.

Rim shape and angle and roundness also effect the feel to where a big piece can feel smaller and the reversed is also true.

So using catalogs to figure out comparable pieces is a good rough estimated tool, but in my experience never very accurate

Then you asked why that piece worked so well for you? The answer could be dozens reasons. But remember what a few of us have said about a “honeymoon” break in period. Rarely do the new magic high notes last after adjusting and getting used to a new or radically different mouthpiece. You’re gonna be back right where you started after the honeymoon wears off.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all for the feedback!
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with that so called "honeymoon period", after which you 'd go back to your previous playing/issues.
Every time i found the right adjustments that a mpc offered me, my playing improved. It has been true for my ID, rim width and contour and shape, same about throat and bb.

So don't be afraid to match the mpcs specs with your physic. Said that, practicing in the smarter and more efficient way is not optional, we all have to !
best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: