• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ballerina's Dance: several breaths or as few as possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttrumpett

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Ballerina's Dance: several breaths or as few as possible? Reply with quote

This is a question about technique as it relates to breathing and articulation, using the Ballerina's Dance from Petrushka as an example.

PLEASE, before reading what I wrote below, listen to each link with your eyes closed at first, or minimize the window. This is just to prevent any bias that naturally happens when we look at something. Please, no cheating, haha.

Example One:
https://youtu.be/QbUcru2CHT4?t=17m34s

Example Two:
https://youtu.be/L7D6RixMdz4

When I saw the video of Philip Cobb taking many, many breaths during the solo it blew my mind! One of my many challenges has been taking a quick breath. I have always needed to do a ridiculous re-setting ritual before I start a note, which has made quick breaths very treacherous. In the past year I have made some very good progress to remedy my articulation deficiencies, and this video, in an extremely dorky way, gives me a lot of inspiration. I can safely assume that he could easily play it in one breath, like the Fritz Damrow example, but perhaps chooses to take many little sip breaths in order to keep the fresh air flowing, if only for a little bit.

What do you think? How do you play it? What do you do when you have to make a choice between some quick breaths and playing something for 30+ seconds in one breath? What exercises or techniques do you find helpful for taking quick breaths?-and for long passages in one breath? Do you think Simon Rattle will start a digital concert hall with LSO? (I hope so!!!!)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think you play it in one breath just "because you can". I think the first example is more musical. In my opinion, I think one takes breaths not only because you need air but for musical phrasing, and the first example - to me - is more musical.

It's a matter of taste, though, and musical taste varies. If the soloist has a lot of musical credibility, I might defer to the second player (as a conductor) anyway.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks for sharing those videos--I hadn't seen those before. They both sound great, so I can't quibble about their choices for when to take a breath! I'd sneak a breath whenever I need it to avoid getting too close to empty.

If you're having trouble with getting ready to play the first note of something, I highly recommend you work on Franquin's sound production exercises. They're basically just first-note exercises. He recognized that first notes can give trumpeters trouble, so he recommended that all of his students spend a few minutes practicing these every day to improve consistency.

I've found it helpful to sneak a quick breath through my nose if I don't have enough time for a normal breath. My first trumpet teacher would probably howl to hear me say it, because he insisted that I take all breaths through the corners of my mouth. But sneaking a quick breath through the nose can be a very helpful skill in certain situations, and now I don't hesitate to use it when necessary.
Piccolo Stomvi
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't watch the videos, because I know that it's possible to play this convincingly either way, and whether I happen to like one performance over the other isn't really relevant.

I play it in one breath, because that makes it easier for me. I'm 6'4", I play it on E flat trumpet, and I think I'm pretty efficient with my air use, so a lot of things happen to line up for me in that regard. And I don't like taking a lot of catch breaths if I can avoid it, so that pretty much settles it. I can play it in one breath comfortably, even at unreasonably slow tempos, and I've done it that way in auditions and performances, so I'm not worried about running out of air. I would have to work harder to make it work with multiple breaths, so I don't do that. You do what works for you.

The best case for taking multiple breaths is that if you plan to do it in one breath and start to run out of air, you may be in big trouble. So make sure you have a large margin of error if you're going to do it that way.

More broadly, I'd rather take one full breath than a bunch of little ones. I wouldn't say I use any exercises to accomplish that, but I do plan my breaths pretty carefully at times, and I make sure that if I need a full breath, I plan the previous phrases so that I take that full breath at a point where I'm getting close to empty, because I find that facilitates getting a good breath.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6'3", Eb trumpet here.

I prefer multiple breaths. Quick nose breaths are pretty natural for me and don't break up the musical line FOR ME. I find it way less stressful to maintain musical intensity through catch breaths than to stay musically engaged while navigating a long breathless phrase. That passage is stressful enough. Do what best allows you to pull it off.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add the brief note that, while tempo may be a major factor in comparing both, the two performances are made in quite different acoustics. The 'quick'/multiple breath option works best with slower tempi and in richer, more reverberant acoustics. Taking many breaths in a series of more-compressed tones (faster tempo) is dubious, but it will also be 'heard' more by the audience, as those breaks in the line are more evident in drier rooms.

And, it's all style. There are as many ways to convincingly portray this ballerina as there are ballerinas (or trumpet soloists). Another essential interpretative decision lies in one's approach to the loud trumpet calls, and the gracefully-fluid runs. Dynamic contrasts differ between the original ballet score and the 1947 Boosey edition. The choice of trumpet (and, in the videos we heard a wonderful example of the 'London School' of orchestral playing on Bbs, and the brilliantly-distinctive trumpet and orchestral sound of the Concertgebouw on a piston C trumpet) versus cornet is, of course, another major mitigating factor that can sometimes be a command performance for certain ensembles, editions....and conductors.

A favorite version of mine was captured on recording by Jeff Work (now principal trumpet of the Oregon Symphony, then principal trumpet of the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra) under Ben Zander's baton. I also got to hear this live, during my studies in Boston, and was delighted to hear a recent, impromptu performance of the excerpt at the Monette factory. Note that Jeff mentions his usual set-up for the piece: eb trumpet with a (I recall special, vintage) cornet mouthpiece - enjoy:

https://www.facebook.com/monettetrumpets/videos/10154831013436260/

And happy practicing!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably too obvious to be helpful, but I think the last word has to be this: if you can play it as well as either Phil Cobb or Frits Damrow, you can breathe once, or many times, as you prefer, and no one is going to object.

If you're good enough at taking quick, non-disruptive breaths to do what Cobb does, and prefer that, bombs away. If not, well, there will be times that having that capacity would be helpful. Alternatively, if you can play it all well on one breath, that's good too. If not, well, there will be times that having that capacity would also be helpful. Both are worth practicing.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Sorry. Some of the quotes below are not displaying correctly.)

dstdenis wrote:
I'd sneak a breath whenever I need it to avoid getting too close to empty.

Excellent point!

dstdenis wrote:
If you're having trouble with getting ready to play the first note of something, I highly recommend you work on Franquin's sound production exercises. They're basically just first-note exercises. He recognized that first notes can give trumpeters trouble, so he recommended that all of his students spend a few minutes practicing these every day to improve consistency.

I did not know about this book, but I will look it up. Reminds me of V. Cichowicz’ approach, where he would not allow a student to play through a phrase, unless the first note responded correctly. If you had a delayed/fuzzy/faulty start, he’d stop you, have you remove the mouthpiece, and buzz that note before reattempting the phrase.

dstdenis wrote:
I've found it helpful to sneak a quick breath through my nose if I don't have enough time for a normal breath....now I don't hesitate to use it when necessary.

I, too, have spent more time on this in recent years, and it does come in handy to have this technique ready at your disposal.
————————
[quote="Nonsense Eliminator”]…I can play it in one breath comfortably, even at unreasonably slow tempos…[/quote]

I’ve learned to do this, too. More on that below.

[quote="Nonsense Eliminator”]…You do what works for you.[/quote]

[quote="Nonsense Eliminator”]…The best case for taking multiple breaths is that if you plan to do it in one breath and start to run out of air, you may be in big trouble. So make sure you have a large margin of error if you're going to do it that way.[/quote]

Again, excellent words by which to live!
————————
JoseLindE4 wrote:
…That passage is stressful enough. Do what best allows you to pull it off.

True dat. (Incorrect grammar for those who may not be sure. My son assures me I’m 10-15 years late using it.)
————————
All three recordings in this thread display musical greatness, but I’d bet, if you asked each player how they felt about their individual performance, they’d probably say it wasn’t their best or that they would like another stab before it goes online. We don’t get that luxury, unfortunately. I subbed for someone on a show today and some things went by, and I was, like what was that!? (I still want to blame the chicken-scratch I was having to read!)

So this is my favorite excerpt of all time. I practice it in various ways practically every day (from memory), just like I do Clarke or Arban studies. I played it on a jury during my undergrad, and the committee gave me three or four attempts, and none of those passes were clean. I hated the excerpt for a long time, but in the past few years, I decided not to be intimidated by it, have come to love it, and use it as a guide for many aspects of playing. Now I can play it on: cornet and trumpets pitched in Bb, C, D, Eb, and F (and the latter puts you in the key of C on the horn…very hard to miss a note using the F trumpet…just use a deeper-cupped mouthpiece to get closer to a C sound). But most of my practice is on Bb and C. Sure makes it easier when playing it on Eb or F!

Breath question/answer: I had trouble playing it in one breath even up until last February, when I took a lesson from Jim Manley (JM). He is all into efficiency of breath. I have an exhortation especially for the classically/orchestrally-trained players: I’d encourage you to consider taking a lesson from him. Just one lesson and the free follow-up he offers is only $75 total…via Skype. (My scheduled one-hour lesson ended up being close to two hours; then the follow-up was about an hour.) It got me to rethinking how much air I use, even after all of those lessons years ago at Northwestern. All of these schools emphasize excellent approaches to learning the craft, but the JM lesson turned many things around for me. Now I can easily play it in one breath and have air to spare at the end. I can’t do what JM can do, but there are now some things I can do that I could not do before. Playing the Ballerina Dance in one breath is one of them. Why is this important to me? Mostly, it's to avoid any disruption of the embouchure, which for a recovering FTSED (dystonia) player, it is very important. I wish I could play it like Philip Cobb does with all of the quick breaths. I’m working more on that technique, too, to make that kind of muscle memory feel comfortable and natural. My goal is to be able to play at both extremes (and everything in between): quick breaths, and long phrases with little or no breaths. I view it like practicing a fourth higher than the highest note that I'd need to use in a performance, stretching my abilities to be ready for anything, including weirdness coming from the podium to weird things happening within my person while playing.
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the sounds of the snare on the first example. Other than that either way works I felt the 1st example was a bit more relaxed, tempo was down slightly from the 2nd example. I think the real answer is make it yours.

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
minimamoralia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I began to practice the Ballerina's Solo many years ago, I found that I discovered that I preferred to play it in one breath. For reasons both technical and aesthetic, playing the solo in one breath allowed me to play with a more continuous line. It also taught me the finer points of breath control and helped me to develop a more efficient approach to playing-projecting with focused resonance without overblowing, something which is all too common in many developing players.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A side question. Historically, is the modern player more in control of judicious use if air control than earlier and, if so, did previous composers assume in their music that the music would be separated, phrase-wise, with breathing?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: