• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso Six Notes Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Caruso Six Notes Questions Reply with quote

I have been watching Julie Landsman's first video (Six Notes) and having just revisited the method after more than 30 years I wonder if those who currently teach the method could tell me if they recommend breathing through the mouth on the first inhale? Secondly she recommends to relax the embouchure between each note instead of maintaining the set? I would be grateful for any feedback.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breathing through the mouth for the first breath is fine.

Keep the setting as still as possible while breathing through the nose. Relaxing the muscles during nose breathing is OK. CC called this the "long setting" approach. With some students he would instruct that the muscles stay flexed during the nose breathing
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breathing through mouth corners is fine if you can do it without disturbing the setting. The purpose of the nose breath is to keep the lips in the same position in relation to one another and in relation to the mouthpiece during the rest and breath. In doing so, the first note after the breath is played with the same setting as the last note before the breath.

There is a difference between "relaxing the embouchure" and allowing the setting to shift.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another Six Note question and decided to post it here.

Could someone clarify the specific purpose of the six notes? I’m wondering if my six note practice every day is beneficial to me or not. To me it seems the purpose of the six notes is to maintain the same embouchure to create more consistency through all registers. However, my embouchure changes as I do the six notes. My top lip goes farther and farther up. By the last note of the six notes, my lips go from meeting below my top teeth to at the very top of them. Although I’ve browsed this forum I’m still pretty new to Caruso so I would appreciate any feedback.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I have another Six Note question and decided to post it here.

Could someone clarify the specific purpose of the six notes? I’m wondering if my six note practice every day is beneficial to me or not. To me it seems the purpose of the six notes is to maintain the same embouchure to create more consistency through all registers. However, my embouchure changes as I do the six notes. My top lip goes farther and farther up. By the last note of the six notes, my lips go from meeting below my top teeth to at the very top of them. Although I’ve browsed this forum I’m still pretty new to Caruso so I would appreciate any feedback.

The main purpose is to let your unconscious mind and your body synchronize all the moving parts that are involved in trumpet playing and to find the most natural position of the lips in relation to one another and the mouthpiece. The primary purpose is rhythmic and subdividing the beat and playing in perfect time is the primary goal, although that might not be intuitively obvious to the newbie.

Ignore your lips and let them do whatever they seem to want to do. They will eventually stabilize.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
Breathing through mouth corners is fine if you can do it without disturbing the setting. The purpose of the nose breath is to keep the lips in the same position in relation to one another and in relation to the mouthpiece during the rest and breath. In doing so, the first note after the breath is played with the same setting as the last note before the breath.

There is a difference between "relaxing the embouchure" and allowing the setting to shift.

Thank you for this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: