• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Attracting Dancers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
Besides seeking ways to attract dancers we are considering some other ways to grow the gate:

-- gerbil races
-- dwarf tossing
-- limerick competition
-- staring derby
-- rock/paper/scissors olympics

And if those don't work we may hock our instruments and go into politics where the less talent you have the greater your chance for success.

Move to Florida near a place with a lot of old folks homes. People didn’t dance much when I played big band in the 60’s some did, but more listened. If you remember playing gigs where more people danced than listened you are older than my 65 years. I would be happy to find enough guys that liked the music to just practice it a bit. You couldn’t get more than a handful of people to come to a big band dance where I live if it was free let alone PAY. I love big band music and would love to see it come back, but the Buddy Rich, and Woody Herman, etc. we played wasn’t very danceable anyway. You guys might have more luck getting real tight and doing regional concerts a few times a year, Ive never lived around a city large enough to support a full time big band and I know some exist, but I would think you would need to be real good and travel a lot to make anything approaching a living doing it. Just my opinion, I wish things were different but from my small part of the world I cant see getting a lot of work playing for dances.
Rod
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.trader wrote:
jhatpro wrote:

We'll be on the Jazz Calendar broadcast by a local radio station starting next month so that should help big time.

People still listen to the radio?

The station he's talking about is the only jazz station in the Chicago area so we try to support it.
Steve-S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you try going to some ballroom, swing, salsa, tango, or other dance events? In my experience, though there is always some crossover, folks usually separate out by the kind of dance they practice, which means they are pretty specific with what they're looking for in terms of music. You'll get a good idea of what they're looking for and can market accordingly!

Who knows, you might pick up some cool moves along the way! haha
Yamaha 731 Flugel
Stomvi Elite Picc - 1990s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: