• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Real or Fake???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Real or Fake?
A) Pure Flesh & Blood
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
B) Software Mixture of Reference Samples Originating in Flesh & Blood
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
C) Pure Software. 100% Silicon. 0% Blood, Sweat or Tears.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

Tarh331_Dad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Real or Fake??? Reply with quote

Listen to a little of this video game track, and tell me whether this was a

A) Real live flesh & blood human being blowing on a trumpet in a studio, or a

B) Software amalgamation of real-life reference-library samples recorded by someone like Bergeron, or

C) Software which is so good at producing the overtones necessary to fool the human ear that Bergeron wasn't even needed in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y6OuYJ960Q&t=0m7s

Tarh331_Dad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that it's probably B).

But I'm very worried that it might be C) - no human contribution whatsoever.
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably (B] sounds like human trumpet player super juiced up with tons of effects mixed with most likely synths and samples as well.
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/31p11K4AsZM
OldHorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you want to sound like Wayne for $99, buy this.
http://realitone.com/screaming-trumpet/
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldHorn wrote:
And if you want to sound like Wayne for $99, buy this.
http://realitone.com/screaming-trumpet/

The dialogue of the demo video is hilarious 😆
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the solo ride it sounds to me like a real guy in a studio. There are certainly players who can play like that. Ever heard Maynard's studio version of "Maynard Ferguson"? Ever heard some of the stuff James Morrison has done? He'd absolutely be capable of playing those lines as I'm sure are Jon Faddis and others.

I'm sure it wasn't their intention but that Realitone software serves to demonstrate the limitations of midi. The articulations and nuances are just too infinite and complex to truly capture in a midi form. Nothing I've heard of that Realitone sounds even close to that game soundtrack.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Mac Gollehon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the performance level expected from many producers these days and for quite some time actually in the studio. Of course there is some pro tools tweaking happening at times that gives the tracks a perfect or synth sound but the expectation is to sound better than the reference track otherwise why bring a live player in? It’s the norm today. Sometimes bland or tedious,and sometimes pretty scary . Never the less real world stuff.
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
As far as the solo ride it sounds to me like a real guy in a studio. There are certainly players who can play like that. Ever heard Maynard's studio version of "Maynard Ferguson"? Ever heard some of the stuff James Morrison has done? He'd absolutely be capable of playing those lines as I'm sure would Jon Faddis and others. .

I think the OP was talking about how clean the recording was and how juiced up the trumpet solo is with effects and overdubs.

You mentioned Faddis and Morrison. Sure they could play that solo. But nowadays there’s a handful of guys in every city with great chops, double Cs and soloing abilities to play a “Chase” high energy kinda of solo.

With technology in trumpet and mouthpiece building and availability to anybody with a computer coupled with higher demand and emphasis and competition in schools and colleges, great trumpet players are a dime a dozen. The trick is finding work.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have over 10,000 keyboard sounds that I bring with me to every gig, but nothing as good as that realitone. And while the voice over on their marketing piece is cheesy it's still way more useful than most keyboard manuals or even video tutorials.

As to the OP, the video game is basically a redeaux of Sonic the Hedgehog. I don't see how it's any better than the original that came out 30 years ago, which surprises me. Real trumpet player though.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.trader wrote:
Robert P wrote:
As far as the solo ride it sounds to me like a real guy in a studio. There are certainly players who can play like that. Ever heard Maynard's studio version of "Maynard Ferguson"? Ever heard some of the stuff James Morrison has done? He'd absolutely be capable of playing those lines as I'm sure would Jon Faddis and others. .

I think the OP was talking about how clean the recording was and how juiced up the trumpet solo is with effects and overdubs.

I don't even think they have much in the way of effects on the solo trumpet just a good recording environment.

Here's a very rough approximation with basic gear not a jillion dollar pro studio and I'm certainly no LA studio cat. An inexpensive Marshall MXL mic going into Audacity. The only "effect" is some EQ and compression. What he might be thinking sounds "MIDI" is that tight & bright sound but that's just how the horn comes across when close-mic'd with a condenser mic.

https://tinyurl.com/ydy6sjkg
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
deleted_user_ae17caf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has that Cuphead feel to it personally where it is all natural, but I'm honestly not sure.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darxder wrote:
It has that Cuphead feel to it personally where it is all natural, but I'm honestly not sure.

I had to look up Cuphead. Presumably you're talking about the swing band stuff I hear on examples of the video game. It's the way the instruments are recorded that gives them that sterile, bright ambience.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: