• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To Lead players: endurance in the upper register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: To Lead players: endurance in the upper register Reply with quote

Hi folks

Am playing lead in big bands here in London. Its great fun, but the endurance in the high register is intense and challenging during a long set or gig. You know, playing up there for a long time.
How do you prepare best for this and what things do you practice??

Best.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remembering back to my 1970s rock band days- it does a lot of good to do a lot of playing up there. (I had a great A above "high C" all night back then- rock bands, not actual BB lead, but 4 hour gigs.)

Actually, once everything is working, that's about the only way- play up there a lot. Make that your register. Now, if everything isn't working, I'd give Pops a holler. His "Tension-Less Playing" e-book might help you a lot. So would understanding and using Gordon Systematic Approach, Colin Lip Flex Studies, and 20K other individual methods out there. Good luck.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz is dead on right when he tells you that you have to play in the upper
register a lot to gain endurance in the upper register.
Another book that will help you gain endurance and work
your upper register is the Daily Drills and Technical Studies
by Max Schlossberg.
When practicing in the Schlossberg book, it is important
to follow the dynamic markings.
The Schlossberg book can be very challenging
and ruff going sometimes, but if you persevere
you will have success with this method.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most difficult things to do when playing in the high register is to relax instead of bearing down. You have to consciously think of relaxing which, interestingly, is a process of thinking about nothing, just totally having a blank mind, while you're playing in the high register. The more you can relax the more energy you'll conserve and the better your endurance will be. Assuming you already have the range Pops' concept of tensionless playing is the key to endurance in the high register.
SteveDurand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree that you need to practice a lot in the upper register.

For me the thing that impacts endurance the most is not playing high but rather playing loud. If you can back off on the volume it should really help your endurance.

Steve
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: To Lead players: endurance in the upper register Reply with quote

Hi folks

Thanks a lot for your posts. The advice about relaxation is good. Also, playing up there a lot is OK, but too much can be counter productive. Personally, I never got on with the CG systematic approach and isn't for me, but all other books mentioned are good.
At the moment, I'm using Allen Vizzutti book 1 which is great! Indeed, picking a bit from each section builds a nice routine all in itself - air and efficiency is what I go for!
Then, etudes/repertoire I have to play. Just my 2 cents.

Happy blowing everyone.

Best
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current band (funk/rock/r&b) generally does 4 hour gigs. Most of our book requires up to F above C (2nd ledger line above the staff), some occasional G’s. Generally I’m good up to and including the F’s for the whole gig, G’s not as much, the best thing I’ve found is to constantly remember to pace myself. Meaning, back off on volume where it’s not needed, take advantage of resting briefly unison during sections where I can get away with it. Doesn’t always work, especially on the second night of back to back gigs, but GENERALLY pacing myself does the trick. But the Sandoval quote at the bottom is very true, I think.

Brad
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice already I will add practice the upper register in a variety of ways. Scales, arpeggios, chords, intervals. flexibilities, tongued, slured and melodic phrases. Prepare your self for all challenges. Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rufflicks wrote:
Lots of good advice already I will add practice the upper register in a variety of ways. Scales, arpeggios, chords, intervals. flexibilities, tongued, slured and melodic phrases. Prepare your self for all challenges. Best, Jon

Excellent suggestion.
And all of the aspects of trumpet playing that you listed
are contained in the SCHLOSSBERG BOOK.
Just sayin'
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homecookin
A very fine book indeed but the player should take the exercises beyond the terminal register of high E offered in the book if they are to truly challenge their register. One could easily incorporate an expanded approach to the drills in the book. I am not trying to discount your method, it is quite fine indeed. Just saying a few other drills might be added. Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get more endurance with high notes: you have to play more high notes every day.

There now you know the secret.

To get there takes some common sense.
I have students that play 1200-1500 high notes every day PLUS band PLUS gigs.
They started with 20 extra high Cs. It grows.

Your body has a fantastic ability to adapt to change and stress BUT it does it best when you increase the stress slowly and evenly. You HAVE to add a few more and NOT a lot more. Adding a lot more strains the lip muscles and you go backwards.

You also need to work on the notes UNDER you highest note.
WE are trying to bench press 200 pounds a lot and NOT 400 pounds once.
Remember ENDURANCE.

As mentioned before many players have found that the book "Tensionless Playing" has helped. Even Jim Manley uses the ideas in that book.
The book "Trumpet Range Pyramid" would also explain more of how to build range and endurance and has weekly exercises.

Just checkout my website. It is only 180 pages that shouldn't take too long.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: To Lead players: endurance in the upper register Reply with quote

Hang on Pops, let me just reach for my credit card!!
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops wrote:
To get more endurance with high notes: you have to play more high notes every day.

There now you know the secret.

To get there takes some common sense.
I have students that play 1200-1500 high notes every day PLUS band PLUS gigs.
They started with 20 extra high Cs. It grows.

Your body has a fantastic ability to adapt to change and stress BUT it does it best when you increase the stress slowly and evenly. You HAVE to add a few more and NOT a lot more. Adding a lot more strains the lip muscles and you go backwards.

You also need to work on the notes UNDER you highest note.
WE are trying to bench press 200 pounds a lot and NOT 400 pounds once.
Remember ENDURANCE.

As mentioned before many players have found that the book "Tensionless Playing" has helped. Even Jim Manley uses the ideas in that book.
The book "Trumpet Range Pyramid" would also explain more of how to build range and endurance and has weekly exercises.

Just checkout my website. It is only 180 pages that shouldn't take too long.

Dang Pops, I thought I was doing well at around 500 high notes per practice session, but now I see I need to go to 1500. I better get to it...............
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rufflicks wrote:
Homecookin
A very fine book indeed but the player should take the exercises beyond the terminal register of high E offered in the book if they are to truly challenge their register. One could easily incorporate an expanded approach to the drills in the book. I am not trying to discount your method, it is quite fine indeed. Just saying a few other drills might be added. Best, Jon

Jon,
Not to belabor the point, but there are several examples
of high F that occur in the Schlossberg book.
A few examples would be..
Chord Studies, p.#27 exercise #88
Scale Studies, p.#31 exercise #93 ( high E#)
Scale Studies, p.#43. exercise #114
And you are certainly correct when you say that
a player could expand his approach and transpose up a
half step or two to a high G.
In fact, if one follows all of the notations that Schlossberg
provides with the asterisks, then one could certainly expand the
range of the book.
But the OP's post was about improving his endurance,
not adding to his range.
It has been my experience, that practicing diligently out of the
Schlossberg book and practicing the scales and etudes in the
Top Tones book by Walter M, Smith, have done more to increase
my endurance then anything else I have practiced.
But of course, I am in no way saying that this is the
only method to accomplish the goal of increased endurance.
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must play up there, every day. The caveat being you need to play up there with as little mouthpiece pressure as possible. If you pound your chops, you will never have endurance up there.

Play up there every single day, with as little mouthpiece pressure as possible. Also, keep the tongue forward. You're welcome.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: To Lead players: endurance in the upper register Reply with quote

BBB1976 wrote:
Hi folks

Am playing lead in big bands here in London. Its great fun, but the endurance in the high register is intense and challenging during a long set or gig. You know, playing up there for a long time.
How do you prepare best for this and what things do you practice??

Best.

Lead playing is a whole new game. Over-trained chops are an ever present potential problem. The following idea works very well for me. Your results might be different.

I designed a very shallow mouthpiece for my lead playing but with a #23 throat with very open back-bore. That and a well rounded rim contour and "soft" inner edge to the mouthiece. The open throat and back-bore mitigates and edginess from the very shallow cup. T%

A mouthpiece never tires. I want every possible physical advantage from my equipment. With my current equipment? I can usually last through a rehearsal even when out of shape.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, if I have lots of high range playing ahead, I always warm up on the full range of my playing ability. Playing high right off gives me endurance like nothing else. Then, relaxing and letting the horn and mouthpiece do the work for me, overblowing and tensing up are the enemies of high range playing and endurance.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: