• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul 991-- best mouthpiece?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BEBumsted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Kanstul 991-- best mouthpiece? Reply with quote

Heralders:
There were older posts about "gap" issues with the K 991 and "mouthpiece sensitivity.": It is a wonderful horn other than a too tight upper register -- nothing at all like old Constellations. Otherwise it slots great and has a huge sound.
I don't get all the gap and receiver issues exactly. I would just like to know who has had success with certain mouthpieces -- and what are those mouthpieces?
I understand it may vary horn to horn. But is there a commonalty to your mpc. experiments with this horn?
I bought it used so I don't have original Kanstul mac. and some claimed that didn't work.
Thoughts? Advice? Got that special mac.?
Brad Bumsted
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you visit Bob Reeves or Stomvi USA’s website and read on K.O.’s explanation on “gap” you might get a better idea than posters here on the Trumpet Herald.

That said, “gap” is the small area between where the end of your mouthpiece and the leadpipe meets inside your mouthpiece receiver on your horn.

Gap effects resistance, blow, intonation, and projection.

There is no “correct” gap for a specific horn or mouthpiece. It is all individual preference and experience. On the same horn and mouthpiece on player might like a gap with a 4.5 sleeve on his mouthpiece and a different player with the same set up might like a 6.

Unless your mouthpiece is set up for “sleeves “ to be able to adjust the gap, you won’t be able to really experiment unless you try wrapping the end of your mouthpiece with a piece of paper or something else to increase the gap (see Bob Reeve’s web site and “paper trick” I think he calls it)

If you have a mouthpiece you like, you can get it cut to accept sleeves and do some experimenting. Bob Reeves, Stomvi USA or Jim New would probably be your best bets for info and fast turn around

Good luck!
joevandal64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Kanstul 991 best mouthpiece? Reply with quote

I have a 991 and I have had the most success with "V" cup mouthpieces, specifically the Claude Gordon series. Bach "C" cup mouthpieces are not as effective for me.
NMex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,
I owned that horn several years ago - when it was still going under the "Mariachi" moniker. I started my comeback on that horn and I loved it. I couldn't find a mouthpiece though, that allowed me to get a nice even blow over MY range at that time and I ended up selling it and getting Kanstul's version of the Bach 37. I don't remember the model number now but I'm no longer playing that horn either. Through several horns, I battled with mouthpieces, backbores, etc. - never being quite satisfied with what I was playing. I thought about going the adjustable receiver route, tried rings inserted into the receiver - tried mouthpieces by different mfrs, etc.

I finally decided that for me - what made more sense was not to modify a horn and risk hurting its resale value. I think going the sleeve route makes sense if you can afford it. Sometimes, the problem is that the horn is not well-suited to us - no matter how much we like it. As I recall, the 991 is a beautiful horn that is very comfortable to hold and play. For me, the size of the horn was ultimately just too unwieldy. I did discover, just before selling it that I liked the way it played with a heavy cap on the 3rd valve bottom.

Now, I'm playing a Brasspire 923LT, which I really love. The blow is very open. I use an ACB TA2 mouthpiece on all of my horns now and the combination works great for me.

Anyway, check this out if you decide to try the sleeve route. You'd send Jim your existing mouthpiece and have him modify it and then try to dial in a sleeve selection.

http://james-r-new.com/accessories/mouthpiece-sleeves-50.html

Best of luck in your search. I know it can be a pain.

Best Regards,
Mario
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played the 991 for years and loved it (ut was my "small bore" period). I think that it works best with high compression Parduba style mouthpieces, if you can play that kind of pieces. If i remember correct the 991 had a Kanstul copy of a Parduba piece in bundle.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Kanstul 991-- best mouthpiece? Reply with quote

BEBumsted wrote:
Heralders:
There were older posts about "gap" issues with the K 991 and "mouthpiece sensitivity." ... I would just like to know who has had success with certain mouthpieces -- and what are those mouthpieces?
I understand it may vary horn to horn. But is there a commonalty to your mpc. experiments with this horn?
I bought it used so I don't have original Kanstul mac. and some claimed that didn't work.
Thoughts? Advice? Got that special mac.?
Brad Bumsted

The first step you should take is to discuss this with your private teacher.

Don't take this the wrong way, and it may not be much help, but the "correct" mouthpiece is the one that works for you. An opinion form someone else in this case is pretty worthless IMHO. The wrong gap for you can have a huge effect on your sound, feel (open or tight blow), and endurance.

If you have a particular mouthpiece that works for you otherwise (i,e,. on another horn), try having it sleeved for Reeves sleeves. This will enable you to experiment with a gap that works for you on the 991.

Also - if you like the horn that much, get a valve alignment. The answer to the issue(s) you're experiencing may be there.

One more tip: Since I suspect you don't have one, I suggest you get a private teacher and start with my first suggestion.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: