• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Player with braces questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: New Player with braces questions Reply with quote

My daughter(14), has decided to play trumpet. She has braces that are coming off in early summer. She is currently playing on a King 600 with a Bach 7C. I have never taught a new beginner,so we decided to get her started with the band director, then after the school year is over, I would take over. She is progressing OK. Tonight, She was complaining about pain from the braces, and to me it looked like a larger MP might help a little. I gave her a Bach 3C to try. Noticeable difference right away in her tone! Is there any harm in her staying on the 3C? It did help a LITTLE with the pain.
As a side note, I also gave in to her begging and let her play My Schilke S22. WOW! what a difference. She didn't sound like a total beginner on the few long tones I let her play. Is there any harm here? (no way am I giving her My Schilke).
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The move from the 7C to the 3C was exactly what my band director did when I had braces back in junior high school, a long time ago. It certainly did me no harm.

I still play a 3 - the Curry 3M.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because many beginners start on a 7C doesn’t mean it’s a universal best choice for all of them. If the 3C feels and sounds better for her, let her use it!

Regarding a new player on a pro horn, same thing. Which certainly does not mean you need to run out and buy her a Schilke, but maybe that could be a long term goal you set for her. If she PRACTICES and improves steadily, that could be a future reward. The biggest problem I see with kids and pro horns is even if a student is very careful with it, many other kids are not, which might equal a horn damaged by some other careless kid.
Kids are kids, I’ve even had careful and serious students literally DROP a horn on the floor during a lesson, in one case because his music folder started to slide off the stand, and his efforts to catch it resulted in his horn taking the fall!
We did then discuss the difference in value between a band folder and a new Yamaha Xeno.😱

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not common teaching or rarely suggested in the mainstream but I’ve found moving to a smaller rim makes things MUCH easier.

If you have access to a Bach 10.5 C or CW might let her try that and see how she feels and sounds with it.

You don’t need to work as hard with a smaller rim, and often use less pressure and have less strain. This will take some of the pressure off and maybe prevent chops getting cut on those razor sharp braces!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on where the posts of the braces fall. I have had students go to smaller or larger diameter to avoid the posts.

Also this works great to protect the inner lips from the braces.
LINK
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I thought she would be OK, I just wanted another opinion. I don't have a smaller MP for her to try, but a buddy of mine might. As far as pressure goes, She doesn't seem to use a lot. She looks nice and relaxed when she plays. She also has not been bit by the range bug, where she feels that she needs to play higher. I have noticed other kids that are developing bad habits already. I hope I can keep her away from them. She already plays piano and guitar, and even with those, she is more worried about playing musically than showing off. I'm very proud of her for this.

Thanks again for the help.
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
Tdfights

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say no harm at all!! If she sounds better and it feels better then it is better
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New Player with braces questions Reply with quote

Schilkes22 wrote:
My daughter(14), has decided to play trumpet. She has braces that are coming off in early summer. She is currently playing on a King 600 with a Bach 7C. I have never taught a new beginner,so we decided to get her started with the band director, then after the school year is over, I would take over. She is progressing OK. Tonight, She was complaining about pain from the braces, and to me it looked like a larger MP might help a little. I gave her a Bach 3C to try. Noticeable difference right away in her tone! Is there any harm in her staying on the 3C? It did help a LITTLE with the pain.
As a side note, I also gave in to her begging and let her play My Schilke S22. WOW! what a difference. She didn't sound like a total beginner on the few long tones I let her play. Is there any harm here? (no way am I giving her My Schilke).

There is no harm in either. In fact, if one things about it - beginners NEED a better instrument to help them, rather than a stuffy, tight thing with garbage valve action.

I start ALL my trumpet kids on a 1 1/2C. Seems to work...

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: