• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Raw Brass Upkeep

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex.Witt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Raw Brass Upkeep Reply with quote

So I have found it difficult to keep up with the raw brass on my trumpet, are there any DIY tips to help out with it?
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't half the fun with raw brass just letting it go and seeing how the patina develops?

Last edited by acritzer on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacquer.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Lacquer.

There you go!

Seriously, if someone likes the non-shiny matte look of raw brass, couldn’t you put lacquer over whatever level of patina the horn has? Or, do a scratch lacquer finish? Then you have a flat finish that basically needs no upkeep...until it wears, which usually takes quite some time for most people.

Personally, I think the very slight difference in sound (if there’s ANY) is not worth the upkeep (or maybe the smell and hand staining....which admittedly not everyone experiences) of raw brass. I think more often than not the choice of raw brass is for appearance reasons.

Brad
aTrumpetdude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well feel free to say this is nonsense but after I have polished a raw brass horn I leave it sitting out on a stand for a couple weeks and try not to touch it with my bare hands for that time, I'll wrap a cloth around it when I play it. The brass darkens up a little during this time and then it seems to me that when I handle it it after that it ages more evenly and doesn't take on those really pronounced fingerprints.
1969 Conn 8b Artist
1980 238 CL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm1qCev_sfof-Bfj5MAMLrQ
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i can't stand raw brass. i am not acidic by any means but it reacts with my hands and stays on them.
you would think a coat of high quality carnauba wax, butchers, simoniz, would seal raw brass up and get past skin reactions. i haven't tried it.
MTS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Care of Raw Brass Horn Reply with quote

Although I don't recommend this used frequently, I have used the least abrasive steel wool (0000) which works well to remove fingerprints and saliva stains and leaves a nice unpolished patina. This followed by a polish or wax as previously mentioned that coats the metal has provided a protective, attractive raw brass appearance.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Raw Brass Upkeep Reply with quote

Alex.Witt wrote:
So I have found it difficult to keep up with the raw brass on my trumpet, are there any DIY tips to help out with it?

acritzer wrote:
Isn't have the fun with raw brass just letting it go and seeing now the patina develops?

No kidding.

What's the point of having raw brass and then "maintaining" it or "keeping up with" it? The point, in my experience, is to let the raw brass develop a patina and look all rustic (or whatever adjective you choose). If you want to keep the raw brass shiny and bright, well, then you should have gotten lacquer. That is literally the point of lacquer - to do exactly that.

It's like choosing a gravel driveway instead of blacktop or concrete and being annoyed with all of the gravel on it.

Seriously...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
kristiner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main thing is to keep it dry! Empty all the water and wipe it down meticulously after every time you play, and stuff a cloth in the bell to catch any drainage. That’ll keep most of the ugly spots from forming. +1 on leaving it out of the case to speed up the patina, too. If you do get dark spots, scrub them lightly with #0000 steel wool. You’ll have a nice even patina in a couple of months, then it basically takes care of itself.
http://kristiner.com
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My raw brass took years to develop patina but I agree, trying to maintain raw brass defeats the purpose. Leather Specialties full coverage hand guard keeps the brass from absorbing through the skin, I wouldn't play raw brass without it. No affect on sound, but I wonder if a lightweight horn would be affected? My horn is on the heavy side, about like a 38B.
I'll admit to having pondered getting it nickel plated.
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Gently use very fine steel wool to remove water stains etc... 2. Wash and dry very well... 3. Liberally apply pure carnoba wax and remove excess with soft cloth... 4. Allow to dry.😁

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Raw Brass Upkeep Reply with quote

Quote:
What's the point of having raw brass and then "maintaining" it or "keeping up with" it? The point, in my experience, is to let the raw brass develop a patina and look all rustic (or whatever adjective you choose).

Totally agree. I love my horns to look like this. I've always said I want my horns to look like i found them on a WWII battlefield
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battle axe look! Good theft deterrent.
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use renaissance wax.
Keeps the horn and my hands from turning green.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

you can also find some related topics when using renaissance wax in the search functionality.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
Jazzalive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Raw Brass Upkeep Reply with quote

jazzhorn04 wrote:
Quote:
What's the point of having raw brass and then "maintaining" it or "keeping up with" it? The point, in my experience, is to let the raw brass develop a patina and look all rustic (or whatever adjective you choose).

Totally agree. I love my horns to look like this. I've always said I want my horns to look like i found them on a WWII battlefield

I'm going to upvote these two comments. You wanted raw brass because it looks unique over time. I have two raw brass horns. I keep them pristine on the inside, but on the outside, I welcome "the wear."

Luckily I don't have the issues folks talk about with smells, or acids eating the metal, or other alien stuff like that. Actually I think a lot of those things are urban legends which are overblown and spread on forums like trumpet herald, but then, your mileage may vary.

Play your horn, oil your valves, and tub it once a month. Now if you happen to enjoy the upkeep... then go for it! Polish that baby weekly man. Otherwise, don't sweat it man.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people's skin chemistry reacts with raw brass. I've known players whose hands turned green and smelled nasty after one rehearsal or gig on a raw brass horn. I don't have that issue. Well, I've noticed a bit of the smell on my hands after a really sweaty gig, but only then.

On the other hand (so to speak), my hands go through high-quality silver plate quickly. And other players don't have that issue, of course.
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Renaissance Wax application after cleaning/drying/polishing.
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: