• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

RIP Jim Donaldson, a.k.a. the Schilke Loyalist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: RIP Jim Donaldson, a.k.a. the Schilke Loyalist Reply with quote

Jim was one of my Facebook friends. Though he didn't post very often, a friend of his posted on his timeline that he had passed away last Sunday from cancer.

I remember some very entertaining and informative conversations with him via email and on this and other trumpet forums, and even though I never met him in person I counted him as a friend.
http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/denverpost/james-donaldson-condolences/186505712?cid=full
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wow, I've been meaning to contact him just to talk for a while now. He was a great player, teacher, person who will be sorely missed.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sad news. I was just thinking about contacting him and ordering another black Schilke t-shirt like the one I bought from him many years ago, and often wore in the pit for Disney's Der Glöckner von Notre Dame is worn out. I came upon this thread while googling to figure out why his website is gone. Now I know it is gone for the worst possible reason.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I hate to see that resource come to an end - I wonder if there is any way someone might be able to buy the rights to the domain and keep it going.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Man, I hate to see that resource come to an end - I wonder if there is any way someone might be able to buy the rights to the domain and keep it going.

It was housed at the Dallasmusic.org website. If I recall correctly, the fellows there gave Jim space on their server to house the site, and they did it very reasonably. I would volunteer to pay the domain and website fees and admin the site if we can get in touch with them and get those files from them. If not, the resource is likely lost.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure how to obtain contact information to the right folks to speak to in order to make that offer. I would be willing to do it though. It's an amazing resource. I've done a lot of reading and gather a lot of information there, and it would be good to keep it alive somehow.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully, I just found a Wayback Machine archive that seems to have most links working. I don't know how to archive a site; maybe someone on here who's more HTML-savvy than I...

http://web.archive.org/web/20050210083602/http://www.dallasmusic.org:80/schilke/

HTH

Ben
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have saved the pages, including the Trumpet Gearhead ones, as a zipped web archive. I can provide them if you'll send a PM with a valid e-mail. If anyone is a friend of the family, perhaps you might contact them to be sure they don't mind and to find out if they would consider allowing them to be put back up in a live page.

HTH

Ben
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent.
- ACB Doubler

zwolanek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: RIP Jim Donaldson Reply with quote

I was honored to meet Jim at his house in 1999. We had dinner, then went to his law office to play duets.

He had just picked up a Benge Flugelhorn with a #5 bell. I think he sold me his Benge with the #3 bell, which is a great horn.

So here we are playing duets in his law office. I had Schilke X3 and I think he had B5, maybe B2. With that Denver air, I was huffing and puffing - two bar phrases, shortened long tones, really embarrassing. I said, "Geez, Jim, I'm sorry, but I haven't been at this altitude in years, let alone play in it." "John," he said, "you have the biggest sound I ever heard." Great compliment, but I doubted his honesty ever since.

The next night we went to see Maria Schneider play at one of the colleges. Greg Gisbert was the soloist, of course, and Ms. Schneider commented several times on her player's breathing troubles, to which I could sorely relate. Great time.

So, a glass of fruit juice toast to our dear friend and colleague, Jim!
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire website can easily be copied; however, this would take time/work and it would have to be hosted on another website or someone would have to purchase space etc.

Maybe contact Schilke and see if they are interested in adding to their website ?
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He mentioned that his daughter is a trumpet player (B5) Maybe she'll pick up the baton.
zwolanek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: "schilke Loyalist" webpage Reply with quote

I just wrote to Mr. Naumann to ask about this.

However, I'm not sure that one would need Schilke's permission. The trouble with Schilke hosting the page is that it would contain lots of subjective material and opinion. Just one sentence, "Great players always prefer Schilke over Jinbao" could lead to litigation. But subjective material and opinion are generally protected in the US, which is why we can say, "The King is a Fink" and not wind up jailed.

Jim's estate holds the copyright. I doubt that the family would care if it were hosted again - in fact, they may appreciate it because it is a testimony to his gifts to all of us.

Maybe this website is the best place for it. There are free hosting services, but they seem to come and go so often that it gets painful to keep a community service free site like that online.

OKAY - BRING IT ON. With this crew, we'll see how many troll in with "I love my Jinbao and it won me the trumpet chair in Vladivostok!"
RothMusic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: The Schilke Loyalist now hosted at EverythingTrumpet.com Reply with quote

Jim Donaldson, the author of the web pages for The Schilke Loyalist and The Trumpet Gearhead is now being hosted at http://EverythingTrumpet.com

http://EverythingTrumpet.com/schilke/
http://EverythingTrumpet.com/gearhead/
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job and great idea.

Wish I had known this before I used the “Way Back Machine” and screen shotted a bunch of pages I wanted to keep for my own records.

His Schilke and Benge pages were loaded with so much great info! Glad to see somebody is keeping his work available for public consumption.
CurtisCalderon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this is taken care of, but if for some reason space is an issue, please let me know and I'll host it all free of charge. My website has unlimited pages and data I believe, so it wouldn't be a problem to host it there, plus I play Schilkes, so I'd be happy to

Curtis
1040-FL Flugelhorn
XA1 Cornet
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP, Jim.

Amazing to see the long term members who have basically never posted come out of the woodwork.

The Four Freshmen are a performing group!? I grew up listening to them, and then later lived just down the road from where they recorded their album with the iconic B.C. cartoon cover.
CurtisCalderon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
RIP, Jim.

Amazing to see the long term members who have basically never posted come out of the woodwork.

The Four Freshmen are a performing group!? I grew up listening to them, and then later lived just down the road from where they recorded their album with the iconic B.C. cartoon cover.

Yes, The Four Freshmen have been touring nonstop for 70 years now. I toured with them for 15 years. Great fun. Yeah, I think I’m our archives we still have that original BC artwork and a note.

I never knew Jim, but used his information frequently and he was a great resource. Life goes on but it’s toughing losing the good ones I wish I could have met him.
1040-FL Flugelhorn
XA1 Cornet
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearing of Jim's passing is truly a sad day for many. I had the great pleasure of playing along side Jim on many occasions as part of the DU Jazz ensemble under Tasso Harris 'back in the day'. We also played some small jazz ensemble (quartet, quintet) sessions together. He was an incredible high note screamer on that Al Hirt Leblanc trumpet he owned at the time. This was the horn that was later stolen from his car, and ultimately led to his lifelong enthusiasm for all things Schilke. He was a super guy and quite an excellent all around player. He will be sorely missed!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Schilke Loyalist now hosted at EverythingTrumpet.com Reply with quote

RothMusic wrote:
Jim Donaldson, the author of the web pages for The Schilke Loyalist and The Trumpet Gearhead is now being hosted at http://EverythingTrumpet.com

http://EverythingTrumpet.com/schilke/
http://EverythingTrumpet.com/gearhead/

Wonderful.

Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: