• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

different approach with flexibilities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: different approach with flexibilities Reply with quote

i am working through the bai lin book and getting to exercise 17 am presented with increased difficulty. high notes are now five half steps up from previous pages and the line phrases are much longer going 34 notes.
master lin giving me difficulty, i am raising him an equal amount with ritardando. i play the long lines slowly and decrease tempo yet further toward the end of the phrase and reaching to the top notes.
it doesn't seem to be a strain what with it representing much more chop work. one real benefit is getting a better feel for the aperture. this would be lessened going for a quick arpeggio.
i figure that any mastery of the top register has to translate to spending enough time up there and making it your own.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same and also with the volume: faster and louder on the lower notes, slower and quieter on the high notes... its like a roller coaster ride. My upper notes need work and it helps to give them the added focus time. Its harder to cheat a note out at lower volume, thats why I also do that.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is definitely a point in the Bai Lin book where there's an uncomfortable jump. Sometimes I prefer to extend some of the earlier exercises up a partial as a way to bridge the gap.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something has to provide the resistance to the air to make the notes change.

I switch from a basic whistle like anchor tongue to the hiss where the top of the tongue touches the ridge above the upper gum line. I also add just a little breath support at the same time.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops wrote:
Something has to provide the resistance to the air to make the notes change.

I switch from a basic whistle like anchor tongue to the hiss where the top of the tongue touches the ridge above the upper gum line. I also add just a little breath support at the same time.

i will give that a try thanks and am probably using too much breath support not using the tongue properly.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottfsmith wrote:
I do the same and also with the volume: faster and louder on the lower notes, slower and quieter on the high notes... its like a roller coaster ride. My upper notes need work and it helps to give them the added focus time. Its harder to cheat a note out at lower volume, thats why I also do that.

scott

good thought. this has been talked about numerous times here and i have not tried it to date. whisper high notes. i do not recall exactly who but a number of prominent high note artists have/had this in their routine.
i am loving the slow tempo it's just the medicine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: