• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

need new lead mouthpiece

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: need new lead mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hi ! I am on the look out for a new lead mouthpiece.
I currently use a Best Brass 11E .617 E cup
and have used it for about 2 or so years it does the job but is pretty weak on
Sustaining those high notes for long
which produces a fuzzy sound after a while and the lips get tired. Any reccomandations ? and by the way how are those Legends Brass Mouthpieces for lead ?

Thanks
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a call or send a mail at Bob Reeves shop.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so many things to say...

I don't know this line of mouthpieces, but looking at the specs, I'm thinking it's on the smallish side, rather shallow and a tight blow - you will need to work in a very efficient manner to optimize it. I suspect that you're pushing too hard, getting some resistance, and then closing up with extra tension..

But once again, nearly imposible to tell without hearing/watching you play.

I won't suggest a particular mouthpiece, but a visit to a vendor or conference where you can experiment with mouthpieces. Or look for a local teacher that will help you look and maybe even let you try a few out of his/her collection.

I'd suggest a larger diameter to get more "muscle" into the moutphiece, maybe a touch deaper for fatter tone, and a more open throat/flair to allow more free blowing and add power... but that's me taking a big guess on a direction to go to help based upon what you wrote... ?????

Reeves, Warburton, Pickett, Curry, Marcinkiewicz, etc.....
Retired Air Force Bandsman
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's impossible to diagnose your problems via the web. The best we can do is point you toward reputable manufacturers of commercial mouthpieces. In the trenches, the majority of the cats out there today are using Reeves and Marcinkiewicz. There are some other great commercial mouthpieces out there though. The Stomvi Flex mouthpieces are great, and come from the Reeves lineage.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the above posters make great points I would suggest the OP might be better served by studying with a great teacher and practicing diligently. Said teacher would be in a good position to know if the mpc is too restrictive for you, or if it serves you well even if only for a specialized task.
JeffSharp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also look into the Asymmetric line of mouthpieces. They have increased my range substantially, and I still have a good tone in the lower registers. My endurance has gone up also.
deleted_user_ae17caf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with the Shew Lead. I'm young (15) and always had trouble with anything really above the staff. I was using a Bach 1c at the time. I thought maybe a shallower mouthpiece would help. I bought the Marcinkiewicz E14 Shew model and the Shew lead. Test drove both and and my high notes were better, but with a brighter tone. I eventually settled on the Shew Lead, also helped it was cheaper than the E14. I have used it for the past 3-4 months, and for me it definitely helps in the upper register. It took about a week or 2 to get used to aswell.
Joel11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Lead mouthpiece Reply with quote

Thank you for recommendations on these lead mouthpieces.
the Shew Lead is certainly something ill look at but an I will upgrade at good steps
I've been used to the .617 for years and is efficient for my style of play atleast
jazztrumpetbill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do a google search and there will be about eight zillion threads on Trumpet Herald on this subject.

Bb Burbank Benge L
Bb Schilke B1
Olds Silverstar Flugel
King Silvertone Cornet
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
While the above posters make great points I would suggest the OP might be better served by studying with a great teacher and practicing diligently. Said teacher would be in a good position to know if the mpc is too restrictive for you, or if it serves you well even if only for a specialized task.

THIS.

I’d also say if the OP is a developing student (I have no clue as to his level),
taking lessons, PRACTICING and sticking with something more “middle of the road” regarding mouthpieces might be of more help than shopping “lead” mouthpieces. I think sometimes students (again, I don’t know if the OP is a student) get the mistaken idea that equipment can be a shortcut to range, or anything else, hence the term “cheater mouthpiece”....which I don’t believe exists.

There is nothing wrong with asking a mouthpiece question on a mouthpiece forum, but I don’t believe anyone can make specific suggestions that have a good chance of being helpful without hearing and seeing the person play.

Brad
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel11 wrote:
Hi ! I am on the look out for a new lead mouthpiece.
I currently use a Best Brass 11E .617 E cup
and have used it for about 2 or so years it does the job but is pretty weak on
Sustaining those high notes for long
which produces a fuzzy sound after a while and the lips get tired. Any reccomandations ? and by the way how are those Legends Brass Mouthpieces for lead ?

Thanks

The issues you’re describing will not be solved by a new mouthpiece. Maybe I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

You’re playing a nice smaller commercial mouthpiece. No other mouthpiece will help “sustaining those high notes for long”

What will help is practicing and playing more trumpet. A new mouthpiece is not the answer, nor is “getting with a reputable teacher” to help select a new mouthpiece.

You just need to play more trumpet and practice the right stuff. If you aren’t improving, get with some more experienced players or a teacher and see what is successful for them and maybe it might help you.

But “sustaining notes” or endurance issues are rarely a mouthpiece issue, especially when playing an efficient commercial piece like you already have.
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Lead commercial mouthpieces Reply with quote

Getting the right rim with a proper balance of the other components of the mouthpiece is crucial for best results. It is possible that the rim is hindering you and the inner diameter might be too small. First how your chops relate to the high point of the rim and the rim contours will make or break the results for most players.

Secondly the cup, throat, and back bore design factors in. I have dealt with this for many years with students and many were simply using a rim with the high point too close to the inside which impinged their lips and created too much bite which seriously hindered their endurance and range.
Many other variables including such things as how various mouthpieces work or don't work well with certain trumpets etc.

The best case scenario is to get a fitting session from someone like GR or one of the certified GR consultants who has a process to help get you onto the best possible model.

If you are ever in the Atlanta area I can help you with a fitting session with the Northern Brass Mouthpiece line by GR. The Northern Brass are great commercial/cross over mouthpieces with a variety of cup depths and rim styles. Can even do a trial by mail and send you the NB commercial cup with both rim styles to see if either can help you.
I will be doing mouthpiece fittings at the Trumpet Festival of the Southeast on January 20th 2018 at Tennessee Tech University more info at www.tfse2018.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQRrMWOw5rYV8p2_y5aO9Rg?view_as=subscriber

Last edited by Lee Adams on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clot Gorton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clot Gorton Personal
feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might look into these:

http://stomvi-usa.com/shop/gh-vr-flex-trumpet-mouthpiece/

http://stomvi-usa.com/shop/s6a-vr-flex-trumpet-mouthpiece-2/

Bests, Jon

https://stomvi-usa.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/stomviusavideo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stomvi-USA/106129483617
https://twitter.com/Stomvi_USA
888-702-7277
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darxder wrote:
I also agree with the Shew Lead. I'm young (15) and always had trouble with anything really above the staff. I was using a Bach 1c at the time.

I'm glad the Shew Lead has helped but I'm concerned about the fact that you say you had trouble functioning above the staff. I would never suggest a piece like the Shew as a fix for playing dysfunctionality. A 1C or similar isn't a lead mp but in my opinion if you can't play at least a decent high C on a 1C, there's something off about the mechanics of your playing. I can't help but think you'd get even more out of that Yamaha Shew Lead if you addressed this.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
darxder wrote:
I also agree with the Shew Lead. I'm young (15) and always had trouble with anything really above the staff. I was using a Bach 1c at the time.

I'm glad the Shew Lead has helped but I'm concerned about the fact that you say you had trouble functioning above the staff. I would never suggest a piece like the Shew as a fix for playing dysfunctionality. A 1C or similar isn't a lead mp but in my opinion if you can't play at least a decent high C on a 1C, there's something off about the mechanics of your playing. I can't help but think you'd get even more out of that Yamaha Shew Lead if you addressed this.

I tend to agree. Generally I would not want a 15 year old student using any “ commercial” mouthpiece, I think a developing player who at 14-15 has trouble with anything above the staff may have some basic playing/practice issues that are not going to be addressed by ANY mouthpiece.

Brad
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but back to the OP. Taking him at face value, if an ID of .617" suits him well, the Best Brass mpc he's on could be too open for him. If so the most sensible option would be the same mpc with a little more resistance, custom made for him by the same company.

Other people to talk to about specifics​ in metal that size would be Lex Samu (ljazztrm here) and Derek at Legends.

I still think the OP would be better served spending his money on a teacher to help him with technique to use the metal he's got.
CRJAZZMAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from the Asymetric mouthpiece. NO ONE sounds good on one of those! Bobby Shew lead piece works well and really lets the air through. Give it a try. If you don't like it, you will have no problem selling it. Good luck!
King Legend .462 in silver
Bobby Shew Lead and Flugel mpcs
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Best Brass 11E is quite a comfy piece. Are you sure all your trumpet mechanics are in place?

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145903

As far as Legends Brass goes, Derek makes some awesome, awesome, awesome lead pieces. Jim New is making a new Jim Manley line. The Lead1 piece is amazing - super big, bright sound. Probably around a .617. But know that this is a very shallow straight V cup and you really have to be playing efficiently to make this one work.

Quote:
Might look into these:

http://stomvi-usa.com/shop/gh-vr-flex-trumpet-mouthpiece/

http://stomvi-usa.com/shop/s6a-vr-flex-trumpet-mouthpiece-2/

Bests, Jon

Yes, these are awesome lead pieces as well! The 6a will be a bigger diameter at around .630.. The GH VR may be just what you’re looking for. It’s a fantastic piece with a great big, bright lead sound. The rim and cup are quite similar to Jim New’s Manley piece, but it is a little more ‘forgiving’ if you’re not playing super-efficiently. But you still need to be playing very efficiently and relaxed to make it work well! All the very best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: