• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New horn suggestions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might look at our VRII

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL67A07C94B4498194

Best, Jon

https://stomvi-usa.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/stomviusavideo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stomvi-USA/106129483617
https://twitter.com/Stomvi_USA
888-702-7277
CurtisCalderon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New horn suggestions Reply with quote

steve_d wrote:
This year will be my 50th year playing trumpet. I started in 4th grade on an Olds Ambassador cornet and have been at it since then, with about a 12 year break, but have been active for about 18 years or so again.

I play in a wide variety of groups including:
British style Brass Band
A definitely not traditional Brass Band - lots of jazz, swing, pop, rock and some show tunes
A garage band that does Chicago and TOP, etc
Community band
Praise band
Accompany the organist at church

You can see my current horns below, which leads to my question.

What would you recommend for my next horn in honor of my playing for 50 years? It should probably be an all around horn to enhance my current stable of horns. I have no interest in playing in an orchestra, squeaky violins in high school cured any interest in that adventure.

I play GR mouthpieces and really appreciated the “testing” to find the right ones. I’ve thought about going to Edwards in Wisconsin and going through their tests, but am seeking opinions too.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Steve,

I know you are looking for a more overall type of horn, but what would you consider yourself, as far as the sound you like to get on your horn? You like dark sound, like Wynton Marsalis and that dark, jazz small groups sound, or you like guys like that have a warm sound, like Clifford Brown, but not bright and definitely not what I would consider dark, just sweet and warm. I think that might lead you in a direction as well. So many makers make fine horns these days, and they make a great variety as well. I tend stick with the big makers usually. The one exception is Flip Oaks I believe. He seems like a great guy when I've talked to him on the phone and seems like he would take care of you if you're unhappy. Aside from him, I would recommend Schilke (disclosure, I'm a Schilke Artist), Getzen, Bach and Yamaha easily. To me, Yamaha and Schilke have the most consistently made horns out there. Bach has the Bach sound, which is wonderful, and Getzen still makes all of their pro horns here in the US and are close to handmade I believe (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). All of Schilke's horns are handmade in the US. I do more jazz solo work in small group and big band and when I used to play a bach, people always commented on my nice sound. With the Schilke I get the same praise but now they say it's a clear, warm, soaring type of sound. Anyhow, if you decide on Schilke or want to talk to a sales rep, let me know and I'll put you in touch. I receive no commissions or anything, they have just been good to me to try and help me get to where I want to get as a professional trumpeter. Good luck in your search! I also own some Olds Recordings and they sound fantastic but need some valve work. Lots to choose from out there.
1040-FL Flugelhorn
XA1 Cornet
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

I'd mark the 50 years in a few different ways.

First up - get your Olds Recording restored - there are numerous suggestions as to who can do this best. then you have a fantastic trumpet that will last another 50 years!

And, seeing as you play cornet,do some sight seeing and find a really nice one. I play on either a Schilke XA or an Old Recording, which works really well in a brass band. Maybe an excellent example of a recording model so you have a matched pair?

Then you won't need anything else!

cheers

Andy
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Andy - Olds Recordings are very fine horns. Have it restored!!! I recently had my 1936 Martin Handcraft Imperial restored and MAN what a new lease of life. I cant put it down.

As for cornets - my opinions, having BBB experience, may recommend different horns. I love Olds cornets, but more of a "dixie" vibe. The B&H Sovereign 921, if you get a good one, are amazing horns. The old ones that Jim Shepherd used to play. That with a medium-deep V cup, like the Warburton BC or XD cup would be my choice for brass band or solo cornet.

If I got a cornet to play jazz, I would probably follow Woody Shaw's lead and get an old Bach.

Good luck... I hope I make 50 years on the horn/earth.

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_d wrote:
Hi onlyson,

Thanks for your input.

I have been able to play the Kanstul 1600 and it was a very nice horn and definitely on my short list of potential horns. I’ll have to find the Yamaha version and give it a run.

The Getzen 3051 also turned my head when I got play one of those. Beautiful sounding horn.

Thanks,
Steve

Definitely take a tour of the Getzen factory, and be sure they have a Custom Reserve flugelhorn in stock to try! That is probably the weakest link in your stable but if you want a new Bb, their Proteus model is very much a do it all horn. They are quite proud of their latest Edwards creation (X-13?) that I have not had the chance to try. Pretty sure it is one solid piece, not modular.

Schilke's I-32 is also a standout (to the way I play)

I envy your wide variety of ensembles! And congrats on the milestone. I started on an Olds Recording, made circa '56. Those are really great horns but you already have a very fine cornet. The all copper bell of the Custom Reserve FL is the perfect compliment to the 3850, IMHO.
mykindablue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone plays Bach and Yamaha for a reason. They work, especially new Yamaha stuff, there don't seem to be bad ones!
rmccaffr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome!
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit my 50th year of playing last year. You'd think after all that time I'd be a much better trumpet player!

Be that as it may, I'd highly recommend the Wild Thing by Flip Oakes (flipoakes.com). It cured my years-long horn safari - I would highly recommend giving one a try.

Prior to the WT (during that safari), I played Bachs, Calicchios, Yamahas, Stamvis, and, among others, nearly every Kanstul Bb.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mykindablue wrote:
Everyone plays Bach and Yamaha for a reason. They work, especially new Yamaha stuff, there don't seem to be bad ones!

I'm not denying that those are good horns.

However, if one is looking to treat themselves to a really nice horn that really speaks to them, there's no harm in looking beyond the two big names - in fact, in my opinion, there is great benefit. Why not take advantage of the trumpet builder market out there with lots of smaller market makers producing really excellent horns, interesting horns, horns that really might speak to you instead of just finding something that is decent but unremarkable. Aim higher!

Of course, there's a chance that a Bach or Yamaha might do that for you, but if you don't look beyond them, you'll never know the possibilities "outside the box."
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: