• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugel: Wick 4FL & Curry 3FLD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldHorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Flugel: Wick 4FL & Curry 3FLD Reply with quote

I've been test driving the 4FL for a week. It has a wonderful tone, but as others have said, as you get tired and play higher, it's not very forgiving.

A lot of posts talk about the Curry 3FLD. Is it more of an all-around mouthpiece, or are there problems in the higher register with this one too?

Thanks
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wick is more trombony. Curry FLD has less core but more resonance, if that makes sense. Curry needs less air and is more delicate to play vs. the large truck feel of the Wick. I have all of the Curry flugel pieces.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any complaints about the Curry 3FLD - see my tag line.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wick has a big hole and backbore which gives it this great, full sound, but it comes with a price.

I have some ACB thought flugelhorn mpc that are easier to play but do not sound as full as I would like and as the Wick does.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Curry 3FLD to match an old Bach Flugel that an Air Force Band provided me... It was the reason I am now playing Curry 3's on all of my trumpets/cornets/flugehorns...

Plus, you have some options, "FL", "FLM" if you're not needing the deepest. At times I like the FL for section work - adds a little more clarity on the front side of the sound.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry all the way for me. The best ones period. FLD is a killer piece for flugel.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP never said what he used the flugel for or the sound concept that he was looking for. Comparing the Curry lineup of FLJ, FLM, FL and FLD would take a while but I'm betting there is one that would fit nicely. The FLJ is a special order from Mark, but it's sound is probably closer to the Wick than the others. If you are looking for projection, that's the one to get.

Conn 22B Trumpet
OldHorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my original post I mentioned that when I play the Wick 4FL, as I get tired, the upper register is harder to play. So, I was asking if the Curry FLD did the same thing. I'm trying to find a mpc that retains a dark sound, but is a little more forgiving as I ascend in pitch.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldHorn wrote:
In my original post I mentioned that when I play the Wick 4FL, as I get tired, the upper register is harder to play. So, I was asking if the Curry FLD did the same thing.

I've not tried the Wick flugelhorn mouthpieces. But my understanding is that they have deep cups and large bores, similar to the Curry FLD. So the answer to your question is probably yes.

I play flugelhorn on the Curry 3 series, both the 3FL and 3FLD. The FLD, relatively speaking, has a deep cup and a large bore. For me, on the FLD, if I'm not careful, higher notes tend to play flatter and my overall sound tends to be a bit dull.

This doesn't mean the FLD is a bad piece. Many here use one, myself included. But they're not for everyone, and they may take some time to get used to. And FWIW, Mark Curry himself describes the FL (not the FLD) as a "standard" size, "suitable for most work".

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldHorn wrote:
In my original post I mentioned that when I play the Wick 4FL, as I get tired, the upper register is harder to play. So, I was asking if the Curry FLD did the same thing. I'm trying to find a mpc that retains a dark sound, but is a little more forgiving as I ascend in pitch.

I have both pieces, Wick and Curry and the answer to your question for me is YES the Curry is more forgiving than the Wick.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
OldHorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard, you said that...

The [Curry} FLJ is a special order from Mark, but it's sound is probably closer to the Wick than the others. If you are looking for projection, that's the one to get.

Could you tell us more about how is the FLJ closer to a Wick sound than the Curry FL-D is? I have not tried FLJ yet, but I thought that FLJ exposed more overtones than the Curry FL-D does... While Wick sound, is perhaps "creamier" than Curry FL-D, with overtones less exposed and more integrated into the whole.

Saluti, G.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about the core in the sound. The FLJ has more of that. The FLD has less of that. There are two other members here who have the FLJ and it's recommended for situations where you need to project more as in big band stuff. I thought when I got it that it would be brighter, but that's not really what it sounds like. It sounds like it just pushes your sound more out there. The Shew piece is kind of like that too. I would never say a Wick sounds creamy. I don't get any softness to that sound. The FLM Curry would be more creamy to me. It has a soft and more delicate sound, brighter than the FL or FLD but with a softness to it's core. Describing sounds is pretty difficult. Your concepts don't equal mine and our ears are always going to be different.

When I got the FLJ, I was looking to try and get a more cornet sound to my flugelhorn. Didn't do that. Nothing I've every tried gets a cornet sound out of a flugelhorn. But then nothing ever gets a flugelhorn sound out of a cornet either.

Oops. I just noticed who was posting the questions above. Guido, our ears are closer than some others. But the comparison of FLJ and Shew pieces still stands. How would you describe the sound of the Shew piece?

Conn 22B Trumpet
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard... Yes, that was me *Grins!*

May e creamy is not the term that I should have used for the Wick house sound.... Perhaps the term as it applies to my Wick flugel pieces, as I perceive them behind the bell of the Kanstual 1525 is "dense", or homogeneous", in the sense that I do not perceive the tendrils of ringing harmonics that instead are more exposed when I use a Curry Fl-d.

It is worth observing, though, that when I recently listened to a small series of clips played on an Adams F4 with 6.7" RBNS bell and Wick 2, I could hear plenty of harmonics in the mix... So, take my my own Wick experience with several pale-fuls of coarse salt.

With my flugel, and behind the bell, the Yamaha Shew is more similar to the Kanstul FB... A tembre that is richer in higher harmonics than the Curry Fl-D and Fl.... Perhaps close to an FL-M, but with a stronger core than Fl-M... In a sense, Shew and Kanstul FB turn my flugel towards a French horn direction.

The issue though that I am finding with Shew, is that it is not a kind&gentle piece for ease of playing.

G.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if the Shew is french horn to you. The Wick is trombone to me. The FLJ to me is somewhere in between. None of them have the overtones that the FLD has. But to me the FLD loses the core of the sound that the others have. For my playing, the FLM wins every time. It has warmth and without that dull wooden sound that many are searching for. Wait. They call it dark. Grins.

Conn 22B Trumpet
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, very interesting, Richard... I do admit of liking the Fl-M very much.

But right now, I seem to be still floating in a dreamy honeymoon state with that lovely Conn 7CFL that you sent me, and that charming odd duck, the Jet-Tone Al Hirst *Grins!*

G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: