• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

'Roids and range

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jscahoy wrote:
Here's a post-shark-jump poll question: If there was a drug that would give you Maynard/Doc/Chase range, but would kill you in ten years, would you take it?

Ask me again when I'm 90.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creatine def made my lips stronger when i took it
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanda wrote:
I really hate when drugs like beta blockers are referred to as "performance enhancing". We equate steroids with providing gains that would otherwise not be achievable naturally. Beta blockers don't do that. They don't help you play higher, faster or louder. They do help you to play to the best of your natural ability in a high stress situation.

Fair enough. But go back to my reply. I didn't talk about using any of these substances. I talked about misusing them. There's a difference. I also noted that "not all of the substances would necessarily be illicit".

Peace.
Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roids would tremendously strengthen your physical self, assuming you are taking a serious stack of choice prohormones, but without the ear and an understanding of proper technique, I believe the extra strength can cause even more damage or bad habits to your chops.

Alison Balsom I am sure could dominate most men in a trumpet competition of range and endurance, many of those men being substantially physically stronger than she is.

Practice, technique and proper guidance > a meatstick addicted and endocrinologically dependent on steroids:)
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roccotrumpetsiffredi wrote:
Roids would tremendously strengthen your physical self, assuming you are taking a serious stack of choice prohormones, but without the ear and an understanding of proper technique, I believe the extra strength can cause even more damage or bad habits to your chops.

Alison Balsom I am sure could dominate most men in a trumpet competition of range and endurance, many of those men being substantially physically stronger than she is.

Practice, technique and proper guidance > a meatstick addicted and endocrinologically dependent on steroids:)

Excellent point. When all else fails, try practicing.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that enhancing the strength/mass of muscles engaged in trumpet playing can help to develop better range or playing in general. I have always believed that getting all the muscles balanced, i.e., working as one, is the physical demand necessary for playing.

The only way I know how to accomplish this requires practicing hours and hours of repetition every day for years to finally get this result.

No shortcuts. Just uncountable hours and years of practice. And then more on top of that to get it to sound musical.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldpipesandchops wrote:
Huh... can't believe folks would risk their long term health for a few high notes... crazy...

People risk their health for all kinds of reasons that to me don't seem rational.

Bodybuilders and powerlifters do it for gains even though most of them never set a record. There's a huge army of smokers and other tobacco users committing suicide for superficial gratification.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Oldpipesandchops wrote:
Huh... can't believe folks would risk their long term health for a few high notes... crazy...

People risk their health for all kinds of reasons that to me don't seem rational.

Bodybuilders and powerlifters do it for gains even though most of them never set a record. There's a huge army of smokers and other tobacco users committing suicide for superficial gratification.

There's a major difference between doing the kinds of stacking with the amounts of steroids body builders use, and taking anabolic steroids correctly for a therapeutic reason. Done correctly, you aren't going to hurt yourself doing one or two cycles of a single type of anabolic steroid in a reasonable dosage.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP

Last edited by trickg on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I'm just waiting for the posts talking about being muscle bound, and how detrimental anabolic steroids are to your health.

Most people know very little about steroids, what they do, and what's considered proper use, and what's considered abuse.

These days of course there's a wide range of drugs being used.

I'm going to hypothesize that drugged-up bodybuilders dropping dead isn't just a coincidence.

This guy was an internet star and pontificated a lot on PEDs and made no secret that he took them. He recently died at 46.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Again Reply with quote

Again this has zero to do with trumpet. Robert where do you come up with these ridiculous ideas for threads? Im sure you can do better then this.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Robert P wrote:
Oldpipesandchops wrote:

There's a major difference between doing the kinds of stacking with the amounts of steroids body builders use, and taking anabolic steroids correctly for a therapeutic reason.

Someone who's taking drugs illegally for performance enhancement by definition isn't doing it for a therapeutic reason and they're clearly not making their own long-term health a priority - they're gripped by a mania to get a result - Piana was a classic example. From what I understand he'd been warned about what he was likely doing to himself, which he dismissed with various rationalization.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Again Reply with quote

Jabroni wrote:
Again this has zero to do with trumpet. Robert where do you come up with these ridiculous ideas for threads? Im sure you can do better then this.

The initial concept of the thread was in fact related to trumpet.

But I'll be sure to run any ideas I have past you first. Really.

Hey what do you think about a thread about trumpet-playing kangaroos?
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
trickg wrote:
I'm just waiting for the posts talking about being muscle bound, and how detrimental anabolic steroids are to your health.

Most people know very little about steroids, what they do, and what's considered proper use, and what's considered abuse.

These days of course there's a wide range of drugs being used.

I'm going to hypothesize that drugged-up bodybuilders dropping dead isn't just a coincidence.

This guy was an internet star and pontificated a lot on PED's and made no secret that he took them. He recently died at 46.

Link
Hey- What's to be concerned about??? The embeded video claims the junk is "gluten free"!
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... seriously. I gave myself a hemorrhoid blowing a double C. I can't play a double C, but it's not going to stop me.

Also gave myself a hernia blowing whilst reclining (bad form... my high school teacher was correct)

oh wait... wrong roid
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To directly address the original question, high range is primarily a function of technique. Although strength is involved, too, most experienced players have sufficient strength to produce the extreme high range. The primary thing they lack is the technique (which can also be related to physiology, that is, the physiological ability to employ the necessary technique). So, on this basis, I don't think taking steroids gets a player any real advantage in terms of producing high notes the player can't already produce.

It would be just as effective to carry a photo of Maynard in your gig bag or, better yet, get a portrait of Maynard tattooed somewhere on your body. Positive thinking has a limit.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
To directly address the original question, high range is primarily a function of technique. Although strength is involved, too, most experienced players have sufficient strength to produce the extreme high range. The primary thing they lack is the technique (which can also be related to physiology, that is, the physiological ability to employ the necessary technique). So, on this basis, I don't think taking steroids gets a player any real advantage in terms of producing high notes the player can't already produce.

It would be just as effective to carry a photo of Maynard in your gig bag or, better yet, get a portrait of Maynard tattooed somewhere on your body. Positive thinking has a limit.

I don't disagree with you and wasn't saying I thought it would be effective, just curious if anyone ever heard of someone attempting it - i.e. taking PEDs with the idea in their head that it would help. What mostly inspired the question is that it was mentioned in another thread that someone felt their students with a more powerful build had quicker success with high notes.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
trickg wrote:
Robert P wrote:

There's a major difference between doing the kinds of stacking with the amounts of steroids body builders use, and taking anabolic steroids correctly for a therapeutic reason.

Someone who's taking drugs illegally for performance enhancement by definition isn't doing it for a therapeutic reason and they're clearly not making their own long-term health a priority - they're gripped by a mania to get a result - Piana was a classic example. From what I understand he'd been warned about what he was likely doing to himself, which he dismissed with various rationalization.

No doubt PEDs get abused. A friend of mine used to be heavily into lifting weights and body building, and openly talks about some of the stuff he used - both pill and injections. He was always pretty careful about what he was doing though and made sure to cycle off rather than to use continuously. He'd also be very careful about the quality of the PEDs he took, and he'd be careful about how and what he stacked. His lifting buddy? Not so much. His friend ended up losing both kidneys and has had two kidney transplants. The first one failed after a year or so, and he was danged lucky to get the second one.

So far my friend seems to be none the worse for wear though.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Jordynbaxter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is hilarious lol.

I'll be honest im more hoping that the test, npp and oxys im about to start are going to have me bigger and moving some serious weights in the gym but if i get a double c in the process i wont complaib
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Again Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Jabroni wrote:

The initial concept of the thread was in fact related to trumpet.

But I'll be sure to run any ideas I have past you first. Really.

Hey what do you think about a thread about trumpet-playing kangaroos?

Agreed.

Brad
NordicNorm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jscahoy wrote:
Here's a post-shark-jump poll question: If there was a drug that would give you Maynard/Doc/Chase range, but would kill you in ten years, would you take it?

Depending on the population being asked, I'd guess the Yes votes would approach 50%.

If I were 90, then yes.

A similar question has been put to athletes: "Would you take a drug that would result in a world record, but would kill you in x years?" Psychologists have dismissed the % of yes's given since it is an unrealistic situation.

I'm not quite sure how taking steroids increases your range? Maybe by allowing you to practice longer up in the high register?

Generally athletes take steroids to gain mass quickly or allow their bodies to recover (rebuild) more quickly.

Which is why Tour de France cyclists take them. It isn't to bulk up, but to allow their muscles to regenerate/recover quicker from the demands of racing so much over such a short period of time.

There is a phenomena called 'Steroid Rage' in which your adrenaline levels go off the charts and you become extremely aggressive.

In the Second World War, the Germans fed their soldiers steroids to increase aggression and fearlessness. This also allowed them to go long periods without sleep (which is helpful in battle when you're attacking).

Interesting thread.
Cornet: ‘84 Bach Strad 184 Shepherd’s Crook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: