• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Recording cornet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: recorder cornet Reply with quote

It was listed as vintage recorder. Guess I got to greedy and didn't pay attention when reading the listing. The pistons and notch in valve casing is similar to a Conn 20 A cornet. The writing on bell is similar to a Buescher Aristocrat. Piston valves and slides are in excellent shape. Lacquer is worn off in spots. I have boiled off lacquer before on trumpets and cornets, like the look.

Looks like it hasn't been played.

If nothing else it is a good student cornet. Will find out tomorrow how it plays.

As I am always telling myself, I need lessons not another cornet. Now if I would listen.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: sound of cornet Reply with quote

So I gave my Recorder cornet a hot bath, boiled off most of the lacquer. Now I have mostly a raw brass cornet.

Strangely, this cornet is larger than my Conn 17 A Director but smaller than my Conn 77 B trumpet.

My first impressions of the horn, not as dark sounding as my Director. Using a 3C trumpet mouthpiece and a Conn 3C large shank cornet mouthpiece.Bit of a wobble using the Conn 3C cornet mouthpiece. I like the sound, very much a trumpet sound. Played the Recorder cornet against my Director cornet.

Also played against my trumpet, but since the trumpet sounds like tweety bird not a fair comparison. Probably need to replace the plastic valve inserts on the valves. Had this issue with previous trumpets. Any thoughts on other solutions?
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: recorder cornet Reply with quote

I thought this cornet was advertised on Shopgoodwill as a Olds Recorder. Misread Vintage Recorder , so it is not an Olds cornet. Has bottom springs and a notch in the valve casing, barrel piston valves like a Conn 20 A cornet. My trumpet mouthpiece fits in the receiver, but not most of my cornet mouthpieces. Lacquer isn't great and dent on bend of cornet. Valves are in excellent shape.

On Monday I will give it a hot bath and boil off the lacquer. Will make an excellent raw brass cornet.

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: gave bath Reply with quote

Gave the cornet a hot bath. So now it is mostly raw brass. Like the look and sound of this cornet. Using a trumpet mouthpiece and the Conn 3 C cornet mouthpiece. The cornet mouthpiece doesn't fit tightly, but the trumpet mouthpiece does fit. Decided to sell it on ebay and use the funds for lessons.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine plays one of these professionally and just jams an ordinary Bach mouthpiece in it with (i think) some paper. He has recorded loads of albums on it. Sometimes we go for the more complex solution!
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
aopga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Olds mouthpiece Reply with quote

Kanstul makes a Bach flugelhorn shank that fits perfectly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: