• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Building a mouthpiece display rack/case

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hacknfrack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Building a mouthpiece display rack/case Reply with quote

I have asked a woodworking friend of mine to build a mouthpiece display rack for my studio so they’re not all rolling around in a desk drawer and was wondering if anyone had done this. I’d like to make sure I’m giving him accurate specs (friend is about 1000 miles away) and not guessing.

I’m estimating the holes would need to be drilled about 1” deep. I figured a drill bit size based on measuring the mouthpiece shank circumference at the 1” height and converting to diameter, but if someone knows the correct size, that would be better. I’m also thinking 1.5” between the holes.

I’d like it to be able to hold about 40 mouthpieces.

Thanks for any numerical aid.
Paladin53

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7/16 for trumpet mouthpiece and 25/64 for a cornet should allow about 1 inch of insertion.
3/8 hole for the cornet will let it drop about 3/4 of an inch.

I think I would drill the hole a little deeper than insertion. That way it will be snug in the hole and not resting on the rim of the shank.

You might just mail him a couple of mouthpieces and let him figure it out.
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a stepped rack say 4 steps high, the first step 2" high, then 1-1/2". Make the rack from 1-1/2" x 1/2" with 1/2" holes at 1-1/2" spacing, this will allow easy access to the MPs and allow the markings to be seen.

Just how I would approach.

Regards, Stuart.
mykindablue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody really needs to start mass producing these
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mykindablue wrote:

I agree.

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn-player

I miss Genghis Khan ....
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like one I could affix vertically to the wall so I could just reach over and grab a piece. They'd just have to be a way that they fit very snugly so they don't fall out and onto the floor..but not so snugly that they are hard to get out. Maybe some type of mechanism that locks them in..but in a way that I could still just take one out easily.
Www.LexSamu.com
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would build it with a sheet on top for the mouthpieces, just holes drilled, instead of a solid block of wood so moisture, bacteria, and other "gunk" does not accumulate in the bottom. Something like this: http://www.currympc.com/index.php?id=24 -- using wood, of course, instead of plastic, but the idea is to keep it open so they dry out. My original idea, never implemented, was a box with a lid and vent holes to protect them but with an internal piece to hold the mouthpieces suspended over the bottom, an enclosed version of Mark's holder plus a lid.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mykindablue wrote:

I do!!! For years!!!
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the mouthpieces not tarnish badly in an open rack? I have an old Conn Connstellation mouthpiece case I bought on Ebay for 99p that holds about ten mouthpieces and they never tarnish much in it.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thus the idea of making a box instead of an open display, but without the bottom sealed.

New version, gstump?
halfgreek12
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.heritagemusicproducts.com/store/?group_id=2
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would the mouthpieces not tarnish badly in an open rack? I have an old Conn Connstellation mouthpiece case I bought on Ebay for 99p that holds about ten mouthpieces and they never tarnish much in it.

Yarp, but, if you want to sell one or something, just wrap it in tinfoil and boil it along with some baking soda, water, and white vinegar.
Www.LexSamu.com
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an option, I have copied and pasted below what I submitted three days ago on another thread (“Hard Cases”). This is not to deter the OP from having his friend make the rack, but more for those of us who don’t have such a friend. This is also mainly for those who would prefer a case over a display rack.
——————-
Two weeks ago, I bought two of the following small cases to house a bunch of mouthpieces:

Product #12680 Weatherproof hard case, 10x8x4 (inches)
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=117&cp_id=11703&cs_id=1170305&p_id=12680&seq=1&format=2

I can fit over 30 trumpet/cornet/flugel mpcs standing up. The cases snap shut with a very firm seal. Cost was $22.75 ea = $45.50 + about $15 s/h/tax = ~$62 total. Both cases are now filled, btw.

It took me awhile to learn the best way to pick the foam. I ended up doing the following:
• I pulled the foam padding out of the case.
• I chose where I was going to pick the first foam piece. I decided there would be enough clearance to keep the lid from hitting the mouthpiece rim by selecting a foam piece only one foam piece in and over from a corner.
• I used an ice pick to gently "separate" the walls of that one piece. As I worked downward (toward the center of the foam padding), I could tell when I was about half way. At that point, I started with the ice pick on the same foam piece from the other side. All I had to do then was "separate" the viewable side of that foam piece and then go back to the first side and just push the foam piece with the ice pick. It would then gently dislodge intact without tearing up the inner walls and pulling material from adjacent foam pieces. Be careful not to stab yourself. You could also use a small knife. I tried multiple ways before discovering/stumbling upon this "technique." It consistently worked from then on. I would guess that the larger cases with larger foam pieces will not be as difficult to remove.
——————-
Pic #1: My first “mouthpiece case” for housing extra mouthpieces that I got spring 2016…
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj27bd5iw87e7p1/1st%20mpc%20storage%20case.JPG?dl=0

Case is 10x9x2.5 inches, so I have to lay the mpcs down, and without a rag on top, they just roll around inside.

Pic #2: The outside of the two newer Monoprice cases (10x8x4)…
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhgif8l14f67qy4/Monoprice%20case%20outside.JPG?dl=0

Pic 3: The 1st of the two Monoprice cases, where you can see some double holes and offset holes as I worked through spacing holes and removing foam pieces. Not perfect, but usable…
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7s76fwbur6cgsrl/Monoprice%20case%20%231.JPG?dl=0

Pic 4: The 2nd of the two Monoprice cases…
https://www.dropbox.com/s/58p9z1ijo00sm5x/Monoprice%20case%20%232.JPG?dl=0

You can see the one Curry flugel mpc with its shank pointing toward its hole. Because of its weight and the fact that its shank does not rest on the bottom case padding, the opening to the hole has taken the shape of the mpc top, which is kind of cool.

I plan to swab out each mpc before reinserting it after use. I know that would be a concern for many, that is, the accumulation of moisture inside a small, enclosed case.

These cases can house between 30-40 mpcs.

In an ideal world, I’d have plastic windows above/beneath each mpc slot for labeling and to provide a way to switch out labels as needed.

Another thing to consider is one of these would provide you with a safe way to transport several mpcs, in case you're headed to, say, a recording session, where you're not quite sure what the music will be.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably buy a larger case to house all of my extra, not-regularly-used mpcs. I may consider selling these cases if anyone wants to send me a pm. (This is not an official advertisement.)

Last edited by dstpt on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Jo Ann Fabrics
Look at the thread bobbin storage racks.
You're Welcome
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doc Severinsen signature mouthpiece storage system.

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiarby wrote:
Go to Jo Ann Fabrics
Look at the thread bobbin storage racks.
You're Welcome

I don't know - it will only hold 60 mouthpieces.

lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thread bobbin holder is a great find!!!

I was looking for a good way to store my mouthpieces for as little $$ as possible and came up with this. 4 different PVC parts and there you go, instant mouthpiece holder!!! The setup pictured cost me about $7.00 and the design makes it possible to add as many more holders as you could ever need!!! It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but for $4.00 to $7.00 for every 8 mouthpieces it will hold, I'm happy!!

Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
scott@95603
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgt0412 wrote:

I was looking for a good way to store my mouthpieces for as little $$ as possible and came up with this. 4 different PVC parts and there you go, instant mouthpiece holder!!! The setup pictured cost me about $7.00 and the design makes it possible to add as many more holders as you could ever need!!! It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but for $4.00 to $7.00 for every 8 mouthpieces it will hold, I'm happy!!

Clever! Is there anything growing in the bottom tube, or do you dry each piece before you put it away?
English Besson cornet 1893
Kanstul 1530 cornet
WillyCook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott@95603 wrote:
lgt0412 wrote:

Clever! Is there anything growing in the bottom tube, or do you dry each piece before you put it away?

As of right now its perfectly clean (i just did this earlier today lol). For the future it wont be a big deal because these are pieces i rarely ever will play. But in theory, yes a good cleaning before storing them would probably be a good idea!

Last edited by WillyCook on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gregory Gilmore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece rack... Reply with quote

Laurie Frink used a pipe holder...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: