• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mahillon piccolo trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Bodiford

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Mahillon piccolo trumpet Reply with quote

Hey gang - I'm looking to add a Mahillon piccolo trumpet to my collection. My first teacher, John Ossi, studied with Roger Voisin, who played one on his 1960's Baroque concerto recording. Despite Voisin's inexplicable tremelo, the tone of the horn was gorgeous.

If anyone has one for sale - 3 or 4 valve, doesn't matter - let me know.
Michael Meeks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold mine to David Blackadder in the UK about 20 years ago and he could possibly still have it.
It used to belong to Don Smithers (it's in a photo with him on one of his LP's) and came to me via Michael Laird.
I do not have David's address but if you do some research you could probably get it. You could also PM me if you need any help in this.
MM
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher at Eastman had one also. At the time I also had a Mahillon tuba and the emblem on the huge trumpet bell was the same as the one on the tiny piccolo bell. I've always thought it would be nice to have one also but have never run across one.
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's out there...I'm also looking for one.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one but it is not for sale. The ITG got one a few years ago in an inherited estate. I don't remember what happened with the horn....it was a four valve, and I was a little tight on cash, or I would have added it to my collection.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
tptfrbrains
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Voisin did not have an "inexplicable tremelo". He was one of the most gifted musicians of the 20th century and he sounded exactly like he wanted to sound. His sound concepts came from generations of musicians that lived before us. I was a student of Roger's and I cherished his ideas on style, and the fact that he was brave enough to be and stay different.

r.
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN Roger.
Oh, and +1.

Every time I play I can hear him in my head tell me something-he is always in my thoughts.
And I CHERISH his recordings and the memories of him demonstrating for me.

I have one of those pics, but I'm never letting go.

Mike
rhenssen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Mahillon piccolo trumpets Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
I have one but it is not for sale. The ITG got one a few years ago in an inherited estate. I don't remember what happened with the horn....it was a four valve, and I was a little tight on cash, or I would have added it to my collection.

I bought this Mahillon 4 valve short model the ITG. It belonged to Keith G. Clark. It is nickel plated and has the original case. I am considering to sell it.
I also have a silverplated 3 valve Mahillon piccolo trumpet (short model) for sale.

I can send some pics.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mahillon piccolo trumpets Reply with quote

rhenssen wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:

I bought this Mahillon 4 valve short model the ITG. It belonged to Keith G. Clark. It is nickel plated and has the original case. I am considering to sell it.
I also have a silverplated 3 valve Mahillon piccolo trumpet (short model) for sale.

I can send some pics.

Send them to me at albert.lilly@gmail.com. I really am interested in the four valve, as I have a three. Thanks!
Joe Bodiford

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy the 3-valve - please send photos to JoeBod@me.com. If Dr. Lilly doesn't want the 4-valve, I'll buy it as well.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Bodiford wrote:
I'll buy the 3-valve - please send photos to JoeBod@me.com. If Dr. Lilly doesn't want the 4-valve, I'll buy it as well.

I've got a three, and this will keep from having to send mine down to copy!

The four looks like it is moving to central Indiana.

Al
Joe Bodiford

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, Al!

I just got a 4-valve yesterday! Bought it from an old friend whose father bought it new in the 60s - all these years and I never knew he had it!!!!

This works out great for both of us. By the way, I have a photo of your (with credit to you) on the Mahillon page of my website (http://www.joetrumpet.com/joetrumpet/Mahillon_Piccolo_Trumpets.html). You can see my latest acquisition there.

Joe
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Bodiford wrote:
Lol, Al!

I just got a 4-valve yesterday! Bought it from an old friend whose father bought it new in the 60s - all these years and I never knew he had it!!!!

This works out great for both of us. By the way, I have a photo of your (with credit to you) on the Mahillon page of my website (http://www.joetrumpet.com/joetrumpet/Mahillon_Piccolo_Trumpets.html). You can see my latest acquisition there.

Joe

Very cool. My undergrad teacher had one and that was the only picc that he played. His was a three valve. He had Ren Schilke make him a G pipe for it. He and Ren's daughter had played in and orchestra together. Anyway, Schilke told him that it was more of a piccolo flugel than a trumpet. I just remember that it had a very big sound!
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with all this back and forth IS there still one for sale??
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None for sale-both sold quickly. The 3 valve is headed my way. I've been itching to try one of these for a while and am excited to give it a try!
Joe Bodiford

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, someone saw the reply that one was for sale before I did and beat me to the punch. So goes life. Apparently I only missed it by hours. . .

I'm STILL LOOKING FOR A 3-VALVE. After 20 years, the search continues . . .
Sneklof

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: C. Mahillon Reply with quote

[quote="Joe Bodiford"]Unfortunately, someone saw the reply that one was for sale before I did and beat me to the punch. So goes life. Apparently I only missed it by hours. . .

[b]I'm STILL LOOKING FOR A 3-VALVE.[/b] After 20 years, the search continues . . . :cry:[/quote]

To all interested,

I recently purchased a case of several trumpets and mouthpieces which previously belonged to the late Robert Grocock (trumpet teacher at DePauw and a former member of the 
Chicago Symphony Orchestra). One of the instruments is a C. Mahillon 521 H piccolo trumpet (or piccolo flugelhorn), which seems to be in fine condition. The case also included what looks like a piccolo lead pipe, but it doesn’t seem to fit into the receiver. I’m posting this since it seems that a few people have been looking for this instrument.

Jeff
jfolkens@cinci.rr.com
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: C. Mahillon Reply with quote

Sneklof wrote:
Joe Bodiford wrote:
Unfortunately, someone saw the reply that one was for sale before I did and beat me to the punch. So goes life. Apparently I only missed it by hours. . .

I'm STILL LOOKING FOR A 3-VALVE. After 20 years, the search continues . . .

To all interested,

I recently purchased a case of several trumpets and mouthpieces which previously belonged to the late Robert Grocock (trumpet teacher at DePauw and a former member of the 
Chicago Symphony Orchestra). One of the instruments is a C. Mahillon 521 H piccolo trumpet (or piccolo flugelhorn), which seems to be in fine condition. The case also included what looks like a piccolo lead pipe, but it doesn’t seem to fit into the receiver. I’m posting this since it seems that a few people have been looking for this instrument.

Jeff
jfolkens@cinci.rr.com

He was my teacher at DePauw, and a dear friend. Once his daughter moved him to Cinci, I lost track of him and only heard of his passing a year later. Can you contact me about this trumpet and any of the others you would like to sell?

Albert Lilly
765-318-3309
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: