• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

SC4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Brainard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: SC4 Reply with quote

Just tried out a Superchops 4 mouthpiece (used) at a local shop - really liked it, big bold sound, really slotted in. Sounded nice on my horn (Getzen Doc Severinson) but not so much on a couple others I tried (Bach Strat, B&S 3172/2) What do people think about these mouthpieces - not trying to use the actual Superchops embouchure technique. . .
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: SC4 Reply with quote

Paul Brainard wrote:
Just tried out a Superchops 4 mouthpiece (used) at a local shop - really liked it, big bold sound, really slotted in. Sounded nice on my horn (Getzen Doc Severinson) but not so much on a couple others I tried (Bach Strat, B&S 3172/2) What do people think about these mouthpieces - not trying to use the actual Superchops embouchure technique. . .

The newer Callet SC series are great mouthpieces. Very reminiscent of older Parduba double cup, shallower pieces. You can get a great bite and bright sound and still have a meaty, fat mid and low register because of the opened throat entrance (second cup)

I like the flat wider cushioned rim. Super comfortable shape.

The SC4 is a little wide inside cup diameter for me, but for others I’m sure it’s a good fit. Around a Bach 7 rim size if I remember correctly. I have a Sc3S and a Sc1SS somewhere that came with a horn trade i got last year. The 1rim is small but closest to what I like.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see a scan of Callet’s latest SC piece at Jim New’s site. It’s the SC-1SS.. http://james-r-new.com/untitled.html Awesome looking mouthpiece. Sometimes I’ll have discussions with other players about which set-up gives the biggest, brightest lead type sound, a straight shallow V, or very shallow flat-bottomed bowl with a tight throat. I’m not sure really, I find they both produce very similar sounds. I use the straight V because when I switch to a somewhat deeper V for jazz, it’s more efficient for my chops than switching to a deeper bowl shape piece. Callet’s new piece falls in the very shallow, flat-bottomed cup with a tight throat. What’s fun is to overlay Jim New’s Manley scan over the Callet piece. You can see the rim diameters are very similar and the biggest difference in the two pieces is one is a very shallow V cup, and one is a very shallow flat-bottomed cup. I believe it has a 30 throat. I think this piece is based on one of Charlie Shavers’ old mouthpieces. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the SC2 and SC3 a lot. Big sound, comfy rim. I can use the all the time for everything or part time. I wouldn't call myself a TCE player although I've been to see Mr. Callet a few times over the years.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't call myself a TCE player although I've been to see Mr. Callet a few times over the years.

Many players I know around my area, including myself, have taken lessons from Callet - We take what works for us and discard the rest. Callet was the first cat who showed me I could get a really huge sound on a small diameter mouthpiece. Best, Lex[/quote]
Www.LexSamu.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: