• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hollywood Calicchio vs Tulsa. Some years better than others?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amingusamongus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Hollywood Calicchio vs Tulsa. Some years better than others? Reply with quote

I've tried 2 Tulsa's and one Hollywood. The Tulsa's played better. Is that pretty true across the board? Or does it have more to do with the year?
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you selling?
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the “Hollywood” Calicchios were being made it was under the direction of Chris (Weilk) Calicchio. Who was Dominick’s grandson.

I believe John Duda was working for Chris and eventually bought out Chris and moved shop to Tulsa.

There were a handful of guys of varying talent in the N Hollywood shop. But the horns I’ve played from that era were mostly very good. Sometimes you’d see some manufacturing flaws in finish or other minor issues, but they’d always correct any problem.

They had a terrible time with the Flugelhorns as I remember. And when in Tulsa they seemed to have better luck.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hollywood Calicchio and is the best horn I ever had (and I use to own many) but unfortunately i need something bigger and now is for sale but the combination of blow,sound and response of my 1S2 is unique , never have try a Tulsa horn but I also have heard very good reviews.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
amingusamongus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are the old Hollywood horns from the 70's, which I hear are awesome. Haven't played one. The Hollywood horn I have was made in the late 2000's I believe. It's barely been used and it actually sounds great, but the valves are clunky and the hardware seems cheap. I'm going to send it to Anderson to replate the valves before I sell. Wouldn't feel good about selling it in the current condition.

gaikara, do you know what year your Hollywood horn is?

homebilly, I'm selling a 1sZ bell (rare model) 2 leadpipe.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amingusamongus wrote:
There are the old Hollywood horns from the 70's, which I hear are awesome. Haven't played one. The Hollywood horn I have was made in the late 2000's I believe. It's barely been used and it actually sounds great, but the valves are clunky and the hardware seems cheap. I'm going to send it to Anderson to replate the valves before I sell. Wouldn't feel good about selling it in the current condition.

My horn was made around 1992 to 1995 .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
wbrenner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Hollywood Calicchio 1S7 that was made during the last year that Chris was making trumpets before selling to John Duda.
It was a modest operation, and before or after the sale I did not get the impression that John Duda was involved in Hollywood.

I made my purchase at the Calicchio shop in Hollywood, trying various copies before I settled on the one to purchase. I never felt rushed while checking out the merchandise.
I suspected that Chris was losing his enthusiasm for running his operation. I took my new trumpet back to him once or twice, to make adjustments to things like not-so-smooth slides. After the adjustments, the trumpet did not respond quite as well as before.
I saw Bobby Shew sometime later, and he did a partial adjustment of the front part of the lead pipe. I tried it, and thought that more needed to be done, but it remained unfinished, with Bobby telling that I needed more growth to make it worthwhile. I was not happy with the results. By then, Calicchios were being made in Tulsa, and when meeting with (Dave?) at NAMM, he suggested that I send the trumpet to Tulsa, which I did. He called me after receiving the trumpet, and said that my leadpipe was junk. With his strong chops, he demoed, over the phone, the difference between my old pipe and a new pipe. He could play better on new pipe, easily playing a double high 'C', which could not do with the old pipe, so it was swapped out. It made the trumpet better for me also - I don't think that anyone in the Hollywood shop was a strong player who could have made such judgements.

I played the Tulsa adjusted instrument for about a year, then sold it and went back to playing a Benge 5X that had been put in the closet during the Calicchio experiment. Came close to purchasing a Calicchio again, at a later NAMM show, but I needed one more blow on the horn to be sure, and was denied that chance, partly due to complaints about trumpet players making too much noise at the show.
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amingusamongus wrote:

Actually there was a Los Angeles period that was from Dominick and the old days including the 70s. The bells had Los Angeles stamped and D. Calicchio

Then they started stamping the bells with the fancy“Hollywood” logo and script when Chris moved the shop to a North Hollywood location.

Then came the Tulsa periods when the bells just had model numbers stamped.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 3 Hollywood Calicchios...still own one, and while the two Tulsas I've
tried were nice, mine is better!
Rene Janisse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Calicchio Reply with quote

I have a 1s7 L. Calicchio trumpet that was purchased in 1982 from Mrs.Irma Calicchio. On the bell is written Los Angeles California. I went to the old house and was fitted for this trumpet. A few years later when Yamaha put out there Zeno I compared it to my horn, no comparison. My trumpet was better from low Ab all the way up to the high C. To compare it with the Tulsa made horn, I've never had the opportunity.
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take this as you will, but John Duda told me the Hollywood Calicchios were very inconsistent (some were good, some were not) and that he continues to get them in for various "fixes" (at least up until the time he told me this in early 2012).

Anyway, I bought a brand new R39 when John Duda was in Oregon with Joe Marcinkiewicz. It's supposed to be the most open Calicchio in the stable (at least of those with a .460 bore) and mine played very tight - even after a full enhancement by Flip Oakes.

If I ever bought another one, I'd get the same model in a .468 large bore. But this is unlikely as I am very satisfied with my current arsenal.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: