• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry 3C.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Curry 3C. Reply with quote

I just got a Curry 3C. mouthpiece and it is cavernous compared to my Yamaha Shew Jazz which is supposed to be 3C size according to the Kanstul Comparator. I'm also much more in tune with the Shew and also the 14B4-GP I have. I'm assuming that the Curry must be different in a few ways to play so differently. Is it actually bigger than a Bach 3C and Shew Jazz?

Needless to say I'll be sending it back.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is bigger. Wider cup and different rim shape.
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry 3C. is a copy of Mt. Vernon era Bach 3C which is totally different than the modern one. Curry is closer to modern 1.5C than 3C. Great mouthpiece IMO!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, bigger than the Shew and a softer "bite" and flatter shape, so will feel even bigger..

a great mouthpiece, I wish I had found it earlier!
Retired Air Force Bandsman
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, everyone seems to really like this piece but I guess it's just not for me. I have good intonation with the Yamaha pieces(including a 16C4 and 11C4) and Bach pieces(3C,7C,10-1/2C) but with the Curry I was kind of all over the place. I guess it's just too big for me right now or maybe just not a good fit.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really didn't give it much time to assimilate to it, and you are coming off of equipment that is quite a bit different - it's no surprise to me that you neither liked how it felt, nor liked how it played. The intonation issues are probably not the fault of the mouthpiece, but rather your approach to how you are playing it - I have absolutely no intonation issues with mine.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg,

Totally agree but since it's making things harder for me and I only made the change to see what it is like, there's no need to keep it.

I'm still at the beginning of my comeback and probably should not have strayed from the Shew Jazz since I was seeing progress. To keep the Curry would be a setback, at least for a while.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobD wrote:
trickg,

Totally agree but since it's making things harder for me and I only made the change to see what it is like, there's no need to keep it.

I'm still at the beginning of my comeback and probably should not have strayed from the Shew Jazz since I was seeing progress. To keep the Curry would be a setback, at least for a while.

Agreed - from what little I know about the Shew Jazz mouthpiece, it's similar in size, at least from a diameter perspective, to the 3C, so I doubt if it's hurting you or hampering your development, so the key is to find something that works well and stick with it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Shew Jazz piece and a Curry 3C are similar beyond a general description - same ballpark. Probably with more variations than commonalities.

specs are close Shew = 16.85 inner diam, Curry 3C = 16.9 inner diam. but more notably the rim shape is significantly different.

Inner diameter is a tough thing to measure and inconsistent from maker to maker. Where on the curve between rim and cup are you measuring? Can make a big difference. The bottom line is what it feels like and how they play for you.

I have played both, have both in hand, the Curry "feels" bigger and has a "flatter" rim.. for me works very well.

Shape of the rim & cup can make intonation issues more or less pronounced - if you are used to a Shew and then switch to a Curry I can understand why initially some notes would slot in different places. You're used to making the subtle adjustments on one that may or may not be needed on the other. As with any change, it will take some time to settle in.

I find that the upper octave slots a hair lower on Curry's vs Yamaha (like a 14B4. that I played for several years). G on top of the staff isn't nearly as sharp and the C above the staff sitts right in tune with the octave below- I have less worry about it sliding sharp as I fatigue or press.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been playing the Curry and it seems that my intonation issues are mostly around being flat. So it seems that the piece is bigger than my embouchure can handle at this point. It does feel comfortable so I'm gonna play it for a while longer and see how it goes.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobD wrote:
Ive been playing the Curry and it seems that my intonation issues are mostly around being flat. So it seems that the piece is bigger than my embouchure can handle at this point. It does feel comfortable so I'm gonna play it for a while longer and see how it goes.

It may not be too big, just again what you are used to playing. My Monette B1-5M has a huge throat, and a deep cup with a 1C-like rim. When I switch to a non-Monette mouthpiece, I run flat. The Monette takes air in a specific, relaxed way in order to work best. Other mouthpieces may require a faster airstream, perhaps even less air, to work effectively. A larger mouthpiece diameter can also result in a slightly spread aperture when you switch over, so that too could create a situation where the pitch is flat on the instrument.

If you are going back and forth between it and the Shew, try a different approach. Use the Curry exclusively for a few days, and see where your pitch is when it is the only piece you play. If you use the Shew for your warm-up, you are setting yourself up to play with the responses for the Shew. If you instead warm-up and play your Curry, you are setting your responses for the Curry, and could see significant differences.

I'd bet, if you do a week just on the Curry, the Shew will feel odd/different, and the Curry will work better. If not, then you can return the Curry having given it a fair trial. If the Shew still feels better after that week, you can feel even better about that choice, and return/sell the Curry. Apply the money from the Curry to a back-up Shew, and keep working!

All my best,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want a Curry 5C, it's much more comparable to what you're used to. I came from GR 66M and then an ACB 3C and the Curry 5C was a perfect fit. Never played a better mouthpiece, although I also use the Curry 5M for commercial gigs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in the end the Curry 3C. was just too big. I'm on a Bach 7C right now. Bought it a couple years ago and will stay on it for the time being. I do have a Shew Jazz that is also good but the 7C allows me to play both the low and high end pretty easily. Also facilitates good articulation,flexibility and intonation. On top of that, during my last lesson, my teacher mentioned I sound really good before I told him I changed to a 7C.

I guess it just works for me.
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 7C works for you then great! It's a good mouthpiece and you should stick with it. There's no reason to change if it gives you the sound and playability you're looking for.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know the throat size on a Curry 3C.? I’m wondering what effect tightening the throat might have.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Anyone know the throat size on a Curry 3C.? I’m wondering what effect tightening the throat might have.

You can find this on Curry's website.

http://www.currympc.com/index.php?id=47
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Samuel5299

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also check out the curry 600 series. I play a 60c (analogous) to a 3c
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intrepidpooch wrote:
You'll want a Curry 5C, it's much more comparable to what you're used to. I came from GR 66M and then an ACB 3C and the Curry 5C was a perfect fit. Never played a better mouthpiece, although I also use the Curry 5M for commercial gigs.

When I tried the Curry 3C it felt much bigger than the Bach 3C vintage I enjoy which compares to a Yamaha 14B4. The Curry feels to me much closer to the Bach 1.5C (Yamaha 16C4) which isn't a bad thing but it's just too big for me. When I asked Mark if the 5C would feel like a smaller 3C I was told no, that it compared closer to the Bach 5C which is an entirely different feeling rim.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: